Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #81

Going to make some camp fire starters today. Need something to do camping related today.

2009 SALEM PT
392FKRB
Brent T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #82
Site Team

Armed with lighter fluid, matches, paper, wood, and kindle I still trouble with mastering the art of fire starting, yet all it takes for a forest fire is one match. One would think I had the upper hand....

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #83

The one thing I do is buy those duraflame logs, then use my axe to chop off a couple of pieces. If you buy them on sale each log costs about $2 and gives you 10-15 fire starters.

I do prefer to actually chop some kindling before I leave for camping. There is something about starting a fire "the hard way" that gives me a sense of pride.

Then- if I am really lazy or if it is pouring rain I have a small propane "flame thrower" that I use. Last tent camping trip nobody could believe I actually got a roaring fire going in the rain.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #84

Tiger torch...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #85

A quicker way is to cut the top off a soda can fill half full of cooking oil stuff a couple of paper towels inside can leaving one corner out and light. Put this under the starter wood. The oil burns hot and for about 15 - 20 minutes plenty of time to get the wood burning well
tonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #86

My son is in Boy Scouts and they made firestarters at a meeting. They rolled wood chips in strips of newspaper and tied them with twine. Then they dipped them in melted wax. They made a bunch of them and we keep some in a gallon storage bag.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #87

Send a message via MSN to stefatc
When I was in Bosnia with the troops, I decided to make some camp fire and at the same time burn our documents. What I used was diesel, gas and naphtha. I put diesel on the wood untill they were wet... I did a nice pile with the wood. The gas was used to start the fire. Up to now I have diesel which burned slow and gas which is quick! But I needed a safety area between the camp fire and the match, so there came the naphtha
from the pile of wood to the secure area (10 to 15 feet away), I poor a good quatity of naphtha. Once ready I just dropped a match then a nice happy fire

2006 Ford Expedition Limited 4X4
2005 Surveyor SC-255RS
I had Tent trailer 1999 Viking, and before that it was tent for 7 years.

Supports our troops
stefatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #88

I suggest....the best I have ever used, Trioxaine tablets, military surplus. Will get wet wood going if done right. Old egg cartons, dryer lint, and wax. Lint fill each pocket, pour melted wax over the top. Light the thing and watch the fire start. Something to do on a cold winter day went you ain't camping anyway.
You must do it right though, tinder to start,then kindling and slowly add larger wood.
asanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #89

I use a charcoal chimney. Usually only need a couple sheets of newspaper and some kindling in the top. Dump it once it gets going. If you need an accelerant a safe one I have used is the tiki torch oil
Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #90

We make our own fire starters. Take cardboard egg cartons fill egg hole with sawdust from a sawmill, then heat wax (we use candle left-overs) real hot and pour over sawdust. Break off 2 egg holes per fire start, and you get a total of 6 fires per carton. We make ours up over the winter when the wood stove is in use and set a coffee can with candle leftovers in it on the stove to melt. The egg cartons stack/stow in the storage campartment real nice.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #91

one frito corn chip will burn for nearly a minute.
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
I use a charcoal chimney. Usually only need a couple sheets of newspaper and some kindling in the top. Dump it once it gets going. If you need an accelerant a safe one I have used is the tiki torch oil
I agree: BEST DEVICE KNOWN to MAN for starting fires. Use Chrarcoal at first and then pour in fire ring and place wood on top. Never will need lighter fluid again:

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote