We use a propane torch to light most of our fires. Kerosene, gas, etc. (we commonly refer to it as girl scout water) is for sissies!! If you can't get a fire started from twigs and a torch (or a match, etc.) then you have to go back to boy scouts or girl scouts. LOL. I take great pride in being able to start a fire with a bit of paper, some matches and kindling. We often cook on our open fire, so that is one of the main reasons (and safety, of course!) we don't like to use any type of accelerant on our fires. Let's face it, most of us are camping in the woods, near trees, underbrush, etc. Imagine the horror if your fire got out of control. If we're dealing with wet wood, rain, etc., then we'll use a homemade fire starter. We make ours from old candles, paper egg cartons and sawdust. My husband is a woodworker, so we have a never-ending supply of the stuff. Egg cartons come "free" with the eggs, and we keep a supply of "mostly used up" candles for just this reason. I don't consider it a "real" camping trip without a fire. Glad we don't live in an area that has frequent restrictions.