Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #21

I do wood work in my spare time as a hobby and have an endless supply of hardwood kindling. And to get the kiln dried kindling going I just crinkle up a piece of newspaper.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
All these suggestions are cool but I'm sort of fond of the WHOOSH you get when throwing a match on kindling and logs drenched in Coleman fuel. Never was a very good Boy Scout. ha!

However, I normally use the fire starter bricks.
Right idea.... wrong fuel source.

I change my own oil and filters and reuse the oil for several things. One thing is to help start my camp fire. Driving a Diesel, I always have a full 5 gal can in the truck.

I was a very good Boy Scout and the idea is not to work hard, but to work smart. I will Teepee my camp fire the way I want with an 'all nighter log on one side, mixing green and dry wood. I will pull back several dry logs and pour a little oil on the underside of the log/branch. Then I will pour a little Diesel on the top side of the dry wood. (DO NOT USE GAS OR Coleman fuel. Gas ((vapor)) will burn fast and will explode, Diesel has no vapor and will burn slow and hot.)) I then stuff a little paper in the middle of my Teepee and light it. The flame will move up to the Diesel, lighting it and the Diesel will get good and hot and light the oil. In less than two minutes a perfect camp fire. The dry wood will burn hot and the green wood will slow down the burning process. Depending on how the fire is burning will dictate what combination of dry and green wood is added through the 'camp fire time'.

To have a 'colorful' blue/green/purple/orange flicking fire, I will take two 6 inch copper pipes, drilled full of holes and stuffed with a short length of old water hose and shove into opposite sides of the fire.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #23

Lots of good ideas. I use hamster bedding. It cedar and burns well and is cheap.I buy a bale and just carry Some in a bag. I like the idea of the lint and wax. I'll have to try that. Don't like the black smoke form the oil.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #24

Brother Les,
A good Boy Scout is environmentally friendly, leave no trace, ect. Seems to me that burning used engine oil in a camp fire is not the best use of old oil or really healthy for everyone around the camp fire. But as you stated it is really important to NOT use GAS on a fire, explosions are all to real and kill or disfigure people every year.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #25

Used this when backpacking and it works great:

Cover cotton balls with petroleum jelly and stuff in an old film canister. Pull one out as needed, separate it a bit and light. It burns long enough to get your kindling going and the wind won't blow it out.
jtintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Lots of good ideas. I use hamster bedding. It cedar and burns well and is cheap.
That's a great idea. This past weekend I ended up using an old bird's nest that someone had already pulled out of a tree. Burnt really nicely!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #27

A lighter, a little news paper, some cardboard, and shavings from my log splitter kept dry in a tote works for me. I like things simple I guess.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
A lighter, a little news paper, some cardboard, and shavings from my log splitter kept dry in a tote works for me. I like things simple I guess.
I don't think there is anything simple about a log splitter. I have been there done that and it's hard work. Sure beats doing it by hand.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #29

I guess I'm lazy, I use one of these. A handful of small twigs, 4 or 5 thumb size limbs and 2 or 3 pieces of firewood and I've got fire within a minute or two.

Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #30

Nacho Doritos make a great starter. They burn like crazy when lit