Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

Camping connected

I feel stupid asking this, but I just don't know myself.
Is it a bad idea to leave the trailer hooked to your tow vehicle while camping? Like level it and everything, but leave it hitched up? Will this harm anything on the vehicle or the trailer?

Thanks for the gentle responses.

Mike
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard of people doing this when stopped for a single night, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. The biggest issue is how much stress you end up putting on one or the other while getting the trailer level. If you're level to start with, and don't need to raise the hitch at all, then sure. If you need to raise, then you need to watch out for possibly lifting the vehicle.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

It's fine (as long as you you have a level site). We do it frequently on one night stops. I put the tongue jack down enough to take a little weight off the truck, then put the stabilizers down as normal. You can still level side to side with blocks if needed, but you need to the ground to be level front to back.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
I feel stupid asking this, but I just don't know myself.
Is it a bad idea to leave the trailer hooked to your tow vehicle while camping? Like level it and everything, but leave it hitched up? Will this harm anything on the vehicle or the trailer?

Thanks for the gentle responses.

Mike

Leaving your camper hooked up to the 'Ball' is fine for a few days or as long as you want (with in reason, I would not do it more than a week). People travel for days and days and pull into 'rest areas' or Wallyworlds for 'the night and do not 'unhook'......

If you are 'level' in 'your spot', there should be no issues with the Fridge or stove burners, water flow..etc.

I would suggest to 'release' the tension on the lift bars and bring down the front jack for stability. Also, if you are 'at a campsite' and are plugging your unit into a pedestal electric box... always make sure that your camper is unplugged from your tow vehicle.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
I stay hooked up on all overnight stops if the site is level enough. It allows quicker exits in the mornings with minimal disruptions to the neighbors, (since my tv is a deisel).
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

I remember seeing a guy at a Walmart In Bangor , Me, with a trailer still hooked to the truck. To get it level, the rear wheels of the truck were about 4 inches off the ground. Too bad I never thought about taking a picture.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I remember seeing a guy at a Walmart In Bangor , Me, with a trailer still hooked to the truck. To get it level, the rear wheels of the truck were about 4 inches off the ground. Too bad I never thought about taking a picture.
Then he's got 2 issues. First, he shouldn't be raising his truck like that. Too much stress on the tongue jack, the frame, the truck's frame, the hitch, ....

Second, if he needs to raise the truck 4" in a parking lot, then his WDH must not be setup right. If it was, then the trailer should be near level when hooked up and on level ground.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Then he's got 2 issues. First, he shouldn't be raising his truck like that. Too much stress on the tongue jack, the frame, the truck's frame, the hitch, ....

Second, if he needs to raise the truck 4" in a parking lot, then his WDH must not be setup right. If it was, then the trailer should be near level when hooked up and on level ground.
I think he probably got more than 2 issues. He raised the back of the truck with the trailer hitch jack just to level the trailer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
I stay hooked up on all overnight stops if the site is level enough. It allows quicker exits in the mornings with minimal disruptions to the neighbors, (since my tv is a deisel).
X2

Tags
camping