Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Can't get my window screen back in

Due to my new dog with separation anxiety, I had to re-screen the small side windows in my MiniLite----they go up and down about 5-6". I had a hard time getting the screen frames out, but now I can't get them back into the window frame.

I've tried using a flat putty knife on the left side, between the screen and the window frame, and pushed the screen toward the right to compress the spring clip, on the right side of the screen frame. No good.

I even tried to unscrew the screws that are on the side of the window frame, hoping the window frame would give a little bit, when I use the putty knife and elbow grease. No good.

The screen frames just clear the window frames.

It is hard to get a good pic...cause the frame is black and outside is bright.

I even called my dealer and they are clue-less---he said they never take the screens out, for that reason!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	36091   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	36092   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	36093  
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Did the screens have the bow shaped springs on one side? If so be sure you're pressing toward that side. I have to SLIGHTLY bend my screen fames in a little to make them clear the frame. But be careful, too mush bending will permanently bend, and ruin, the screen. Don't know if it will work for yours, though.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

If you got it out, it will go back in.
If you repaired more than one screen, did you re-install them in the wrong window?
Try inserting at the top of the window instead of the bottom. Some windows are out of square and might allow enough clearance. If all else fails, carefully remove the spring clips and try to install the screen. You might not be compressing the springs enough but the screen would have more clearance to fit. You could place a small wedge once installed to keep the screen in place without the spring clips.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Well after alot of blood, sweat, and tears and many swear words, I finally got the 2 screens back into the window frames.

Working in the middle part of the window frame, I used a 3" wide putty knife, to act as a lever between the window frame and the screen frame, to push the screen toward the side that had the spring clip.

No amount of force would move it enough to clear the window frame, so I got a block of wood and placed it next to the putty knife, on the screen frame. Next I got my favorite persuader....a hammer...and while I was still applying pressure on the putty knife toward the center....I gave the wood several good, firm whacks with the hammer. Success, at last!!!

Now to prevent my new dog from getting at the screens and curtains again, I have to come up with an idea of what I can put under the windows to prevent her from getting near them.

Ever notice how one solution leads to another problem?
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Plexiglas sheet Velcro'd to the frame.