Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Changing a tire

We have a Viking 17FQ, 2785 lbs. empty. Some day we will have a flat on the road. What type of jack do others have, where would I position the jack, and I have heard of positioning a piece of wood at the top of the jack to distribute weight. Emailed this question to fr river also asked for pics or di a gram for jack positioning. Never heard back. I guess once the sale is made it's good luck buddy.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I carry a hydraulic bottle jack, but you could get by with a lesser jack on a unit the size of yours. Using a piece of wood to spread out the forces is up to you, but you should jack on the frame and not on the axle housing.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Save the hassle of using a hydraulic jack and get a rapid jack:

Which would you want to use when the ground is wet and/or muddy? Do you want to be on the ground getting dirty while positioning your bottle jack?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
I use this product, Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp. Start at $30 from Amazon, Walmart and others. Come in different specs depending on trailee weight etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T.../dp/B000I4JPZE
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

BG, is 4.5" of lift enough to get the other tire off the ground what with the suspension and all?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

I carry a small floor jack, a bottle jack, and lots of wood blocks.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

You will have to determine the height /type of jack required.
Leave trailer connected to tow vehicle and set parking brake.
Chock wheels on good side.
Loosen lugs on flat.
Place jack under "spring shackle" (not axle tube) on axle and jack it up. (You can place a piece of wood between jack and spring shackle.)
Change tire as usual.
Reverse above steps and be on your way.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
BG, is 4.5" of lift enough to get the other tire off the ground what with the suspension and all?
I own both of jacks and have not used either. Having said that, I do like the Trailer Aid Plus.

If you are just learning about things to have, I have a link below to a YouTube video that put me on the path when I had no clue. The guy in the video covers a lot of things. DO NOT run out and buy all of these things. This is just meant to be a primer so you can know what you may need to plan for. It may also help you to know what questions to ask on the forum.

I do recommend a good surge protector. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

I just did a little piece for Truck Camper Magazine, listing what I always have with me in my truck that I consider 'necessities'....

The short list:

Bottle jack capable of lifting the heaviest weight you will encounter, in my case it's the rear axle of my pickup with the slide in camper on board....5 ton

Wood blocks
Hubcap removal tool (or a flat blade screwdriver)
1/2" drive breaker bar
1/2" drive short extension
Socket to fit lug nuts
Spare serpentine fan belt
3 quarts of motor oil
3 quarts if ATF
Phillips screwdriver
Fuse assortment to fit
Clean rags
Snatch strap

Everything fits in a plastic milk crate behind the front seat. Always there if and when I need it.... and I HAVE needed it before.

I also carry a small air compressor and a tire plug kit as well as a first aid kit in my camper and in the truck. I like Adventure Medical first aid kits, complete and compact.

Finally, not only does my camper have an ABC rated fire extingusher, my truck also has one, in a bracket affixed to the floor in easy reach. DOT regs require one in every commercial vehicle, I have no issue having one in my pickup truck as well.

I also carry a not inexpensive SAT phone. SAT phones work everywhere and are not dependent on cell towers. Airtime is expensive so I rely on my cell phone for all my communications but cellular service is not always available, SAT service is always available, anywhere, anytime, worldwide.

I'm not waiting for a road service that may or may not come when I can handle it myself and some places I camp, a road service would nit be able to get to anyway.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

The OP says they have a Viking 17FQ. That is a single axle trailer so the references to Trailer Aid, Rapid Jack., etc., will not be applicable. Five ton or larger bottle jack is probably the best. I recommend the OP actually practice using the bottle jack on the trailer while it is hitched up. That way they'll know if they need any blocks, etc.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

Many good replies. Also check to see if your lug wrench fits the nuts on your spare tire holder. On my old trailer the ones on the spare were smaller and my 4 way lug wrench didn't fit. I ended up on the side of the road hacking it up with a channel locks to get the spare off the holder. So I started carrying a box wrench for the spare and, of course, never got another flat. When ever I tell this story at a campground somebody goes "The same thing happened to me!"
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The OP says they have a Viking 17FQ. That is a single axle trailer so the references to Trailer Aid, Rapid Jack., etc., will not be applicable. Five ton or larger bottle jack is probably the best. I recommend the OP actually practice using the bottle jack on the trailer while it is hitched up. That way they'll know if they need any blocks, etc.
The thread was started and died/ended back in July. A new member found a thread topic that was of interest and posted here today.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I also carry a not inexpensive SAT phone. SAT phones work everywhere and are not dependent on cell towers. Airtime is expensive so I rely on my cell phone for all my communications but cellular service is not always available, SAT service is always available, anywhere, anytime, worldwide.

I'm not waiting for a road service that may or may not come when I can handle it myself and some places I camp, a road service would nit be able to get to anyway.
Sat phones are nice but contrary to popular opinion they won't work everywhere. When I was working I had both an Iridium and a GlobalStar satphone. They were always a problem in mountainous regions of China, Brazil and some areas in Switzerland. They should work OK in the USA (especially the Iridium) but I'd be a little wary of it in the higher reaches of the US or Canadian rockies.

(BTW...how y'all like our thread drift)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
Yes, not a problem. Have used on 14" and 15" tires with no problem. Absolutely the easiest way to change a tire. Bottle Jack's and pieces of wood is a very painful way to change a tire. Been there, done that.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #15

Gotta say I like the idea of driving the good tire up a ramp over the hastle of a jack and a stack of wood blocks. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

I know the OP trailer is single axle but for what its worth for my duely I carry a two piece car tire ramp. Just drive up or back enough to raise flat off the ground and all is well.
Willbur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire