Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation Check your water tank vent

When I was @ Michigan Int'l Spwy in June, I had the water spitting back out the filler opening. I thought it was due to the high pressure of their water system. I was only able to fill @ a very slow rate. I stupidly assumed the tank was full (never checked the actual level in tank). Even w/ minimal use over the weekend we were nearly empty Sun' night.

Fast forward to my trip to northern Ontario last week. I noticed that there wasn't any "spitback" thru the vent. I popped the vent screen out w/ a knife & saw that the back side of the screen was covered w/ scum.

After removing the scum, I could hear air rushing out of the vent & the water stopped sloshing back out of the filler until the tank was actually full.

I've never seen or heard any mention of cleaning the vent screen, but will check it on a regular basis.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Common issue.

Also when using fw tank make sure you fill hw heater before your full otherwise right off the bat when u get to your cg you'll loose 6 to 10 gallon when you fill hw heater.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, I usually have my "helper" on the trip, turn on the pump & open 1 of the hot water faucets to fill the "hot water tank".

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although that "works" you should open the pressure relief on the hw tank and wait for full there.

Its possible for bypass valve on hw water tank to get turned or forgotten about and then you would still get water out of tap on hot side and the hw tank not be full.
Make sense?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #5

Plus, by filling the hot H2O tank that way (opening the T&P valve), you "burp" out all of the bad air from the tank.
awjoker is offline   Reply With Quote