Old 07-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Checklists.

I enjoy scuba diving as much as I can, and from diving a rebreather... lists become important!
Miss a step, you may die...

Wife and I each have jobs when setting up and tearing down.

Donít allow anyone to interrupt your process. Last weekend, when closing up, my brother and his family stopped by my site. Talking and saying goodbyes. We got in the MH and threw in into drive. Moved ahead a few feet and I saw something out of the corner of my eye... the awning bouncing! Oops.

Pay attention.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Good reminder. Nice that you noticed.

Always double / triple check the list before putting it in drive.

Mine came from submarines but right there with you on the don't miss a step. Could be the last mistake you ever make.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
We also like a "reality check" - call it a Walk-Around, or even a "Go Out And Look (GOAL)" before rolling.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #4

I think Iím the only one that uses a physical checklist when hitching/unhitching and setting up/closing up the trailer. My wife and I have been RVing since 2003 and we still use our checklist all the time, every time. There are so many ways to cause damage to your trailer by forgetting just one thing. Itís also easy to forget that one thing if you get distracted.

I HATE making mistakes and it would kill me if I made a mistake that caused damage to my fifth wheel. I canít recall ever seeing anyone using a physical checklist. Perhaps my OCD is out of control when it comes to my fifth wheel.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post

Donít allow anyone to interrupt your process.

Pay attention.
Absolutely true!! And, don't let anyone volunteer to help change a tire and get you distracted. Bad things can happen...or so I've been told.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 97
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

I know how you feel. Had some warranty repair work done to my camper and picked it up yesterday. Brought it home and pulled it in front of my drive way to unhook the weight distribution/anti sway bars. I put the electric tongue jack down so that I could get the distribution bars off and could make the turn to back it in. Got distracted and jumped in the truck to back it into the driveway. Went about 6 feet and realized I didn't raise the tongue jack up. Now I have to replace the electric tongue jack. Apparently the warranty doesn't cover my stupidity. Not that I blame them. I am going to make another checklist to keep in the truck. Like the one I had when we had the pop up camper.
VA_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Also a diver and love check lists, they'll save your bacon. I use an app on my phone called "RVChecklist". It comes with much of the basic stuff, but is fully customizable to your rig. Makes it easier to remember everything when buttoning up and doing a final walk around before tsking off.

2016 Forest River Wildwood T27RKSS
2010 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab PSD
Shady camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I think Iím the only one that uses a physical checklist when hitching/unhitching and setting up/closing up the trailer. My wife and I have been RVing since 2003 and we still use our checklist all the time, every time. There are so many ways to cause damage to your trailer by forgetting just one thing. Itís also easy to forget that one thing if you get distracted.

I HATE making mistakes and it would kill me if I made a mistake that caused damage to my fifth wheel. I canít recall ever seeing anyone using a physical checklist. Perhaps my OCD is out of control when it comes to my fifth wheel.

No you are not the only one. After almost leaving a campsite with the antenna still up I created a checklist for arrival and departure for the entire trailer inside and out. And I use it every time without fail since my close call with the antenna. Also as an ex Air Force crewmember I also do a walk around before setting up and right before leaving just to make sure everything is in order.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

You're not alone. We have a physical checklist we use every time. We have one version for leaving the camp site and another one for leaving the TT at the storage lot.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check