Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Rotochoks do it all and the small change in "diameter" with temperature is insignificant for the rotochoks. They lamp firmly and don"t need adjusting, no rachet or anything else. Once level side to side , set the roto's and forget em. First on and las toff.
X2. And you can always use Rotochoks on the both sides; even if you have used lego blocks to raise one side.

But they don't work with widely separated axles.
__________________

__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post

X2. And you can always use Rotochoks on the both sides; even if you have used lego blocks to raise one side.

But they don't work with widely separated axles.
Yeppers, You can get them pretty wide but there is a limit. I think they are well worth the price both for convenience and safety.. The hard plastic wedge pieces REALLY grip the tires. IMO
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
I just kick the chocks in, the plastic wedges hold pretty tight. If parking on boards, I may drive a couple of 16 penny nails in behind the chocks for a little extra.
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
...Between the wheel chocks rely strictly on friction to hold the wheels in place. As the temperature of the tires change due to cooling (after being pulled in) or air temperature change, the tire diameter decreases, reducing the effectiveness of the between the wheel chock considerably. These things are good for stabilization, but to rely on them to keep the camper from rolling is a mistake.
...
I have used the Bal X Chocks for 7 years now and on more than 1 occasion have forgotten to remove them before attempting to move the trailer and cannot budge the trailer with them installed. Have never had to tighten them due to temperature changes or a tire diameter decrease. I use them as a pull test to make sure the hitch is secured. First thing installed after parking and last thing removed before leaving.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Stg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 204
I use the BAL Deluxe Chocks They were the original chocks(before the X chocks). I've used them since 2004. with no issues, I do occasionally check them to make sure they remain tight. I see no reason to not rely on them to secure the wheels.
__________________
Steve and Marlene and 2 Furry Kids. LB (Maltese) Rocky (Border Terrier)
2013 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS 2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
Stg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I have used the Bal X Chocks for 7 years now and on more than 1 occasion have forgotten to remove them before attempting to move the trailer and cannot budge the trailer with them installed. Have never had to tighten them due to temperature changes or a tire diameter decrease. I use them as a pull test to make sure the hitch is secured. First thing installed after parking and last thing removed before leaving.
Glad they are working well for you. Others, besides myself, have noted that they needed to tighten both the Bal X's and Roto Chocks after the tires cool down. Still others have had them spit out and allow the camper to roll (one rolled into a tree, bending the bumper).
It is possible that in all the cases I have read about, the users had the wrong size, or simply didn't install them correctly. Nothing is beyond the ability of man to mess up.
On my last camper, I used a pair of yellow plastic wedges that didn't use a tool to tighten (I wouldn't expect plastic to stand up to that kind of pressure). They were pretty effective at reducing rocking, but that's all I would trust them for.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2002 Forest River Flagstaff 8528RLS
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Glad they are working well for you. Others, besides myself, have noted that they needed to tighten both the Bal X's and Roto Chocks after the tires cool down. Still others have had them spit out and allow the camper to roll (one rolled into a tree, bending the bumper).
It is possible that in all the cases I have read about, the users had the wrong size, or simply didn't install them correctly. Nothing is beyond the ability of man to mess up.
On my last camper, I used a pair of yellow plastic wedges that didn't use a tool to tighten (I wouldn't expect plastic to stand up to that kind of pressure). They were pretty effective at reducing rocking, but that's all I would trust them for.
All I can say is evidently they were not tightened correctly when installed initially if they required attention after cooling. Kinda like changing a tire and leaving the lugnuts loose and then griping when the wheel falls off.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

All I can say is evidently they were not tightened correctly when installed initially if they required attention after cooling. Kinda like changing a tire and leaving the lugnuts loose and then griping when the wheel falls off.
X22222.. Glad you said it before I did.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
X2. And you can always use Rotochoks on the both sides; even if you have used lego blocks to raise one side.

But they don't work with widely separated axles.
I have the E Z tow wide axles on my Lacrosse. The Bal X chocks are pricey compared to close axle X chocks. So i made my own for less than $20 out of 2x4s and threaded rods. It does the job for a tenth of the cost.
__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,476
X Chocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	july 2013 052.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	39866  
__________________

__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.