Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I have read stories on another board of the plastic yellow chocks being pancaked by the trailer.
Yep. I have run over a couple hitching up and doing the brake-pull test. Squished them up some but not so bad as to be unusable.

I am very happy though the much more expensive tire wasn't damaged.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Chock & Level at the same Time! Youroo!!
Must be a trusting soul!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
WFD

I use Xchocks as well as the yellow chocks. The Xchocks are great for reducing the movement inside the trailer, but don't think I would rely on them on their own for chocking the wheels on an uneven surface. It applies pressure to the tires but not confident you get then tight enough to stop a trailer from rolling. And if you could I am not sure you want to apply that much pressure to the tires.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I use Xchocks as well as the yellow chocks. The Xchocks are great for reducing the movement inside the trailer, but don't think I would rely on them on their own for chocking the wheels on an uneven surface.
X2. Xchocks and wedges on both sides. I wouldn't consider Xchocks as replacement chocks over wedges.. just a stabilizing device. Xchocks HAVE been known to pop off under rolling pressure.

A little tip: When using Xchocks they should be the LAST thing on during setup and the FIRST thing you remove during tear down. If you need to make stabilizer or jack height adjustment... loosen or remove your Xchocks first.

Other than that.. they are the best Christmas present I ever bought myself. ;-)

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #25
Cyber Phrenologist

Staying Put, Staying Still

OK, so we have figured out that chocks are for keeping the trailer in one place and not rolling away. Chocks help with stabilization as an aside, their main function is safety. If you want to be stabile (not wobbly) then you need to have the frame of the rig "kinda sort of" resting on the ground to make it stay still. You need some jacks.

So here's some jack stuff...

I have one of these. You could jam wood blocks or Lego levelers under the step and get about the same results. The step acts as a lever and really magnifies the rocking motion with folks coming up the steps.

Stabil-Step Jack - 4 5/8" - 7 3/4" - Stromberg Carlson JSS-4 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

And I have a pair of these guys about midships right at the axles. Kind of a pain because you do have to get under the trailer a bit to set them up, but dang, they really help take the wobble out.

Husky Stack Jack Aluminum - 2 Pack - Husky 70044 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

They don't weigh much and by nesting a bit take up little room. Work best if you slide a piece of 1/2 in plywood underneath. You can get a pack of 4, but I get by with just 2. And they are cheap!

I have also found built in stabilizers get less stable the further they are extended. Better to stack some wood blocks than to extend the stabilizers too far.

And between good chocks, and these jack recommendations, our 5ver stays still enough to suit us.

YMMV and JMHO.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

With 2 X-Chocks locking 4 tires, it is not going to roll anywhere. I use them for doing a hitch check and can't move the trailer on concrete or gravel and I can spin the tires on the truck(on gravel). No need for additional chocks.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #27

I use two pairs of the yellowish/greenish ones with the rubber on the bottom. As mentioned earlier, while still hitched, my wife puts the chocks behind the back wheels, with her signal, I back about an inch or so just enough to put pressure on the chock. Then she puts the pair in front of the front tires...then we unhitch. Then I place the inside of chocks using the rubber mallet method just hard enough to set them in place. seems to work for us.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #28

X chocks are the best on both sides your rig will not move
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #29

I saw those X chocks and laughed when I saw how much they cost and how simplistic they were. I took some angle cut 4x4s, a piece of threaded rod, and a $7 ratcheting box wrench to do the same thing. Probabaly cost me about $20 to make a set for each side of the trailer. Takes 99% of the rock out of the trailer. When I'm camping, I get a raised eyebrow look from my neighbors who want to see what I got going on there. Then they laugh when they realize how simplistic is it.

And for stabilizing jack chocks, I use pressure treated cut 4x4s with a piece of rope as a handle. We use the same thing on our rescue truck (Im a firefighter) when we stabilize vehicles, etc. They are cheap, easy to maneuver, can be stacked, and wont rot.

Anyone with a chop saw can make this stuff in under an hour. Attached is a link to a picture of my homemade X chock.

https://goo.gl/photos/6cEyuGJJEYm8duLr6
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #30
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
I saw those X chocks and laughed when I saw how much they cost and how simplistic they were. I took some angle cut 4x4s, a piece of threaded rod, and a $7 ratcheting box wrench to do the same thing. Probabaly cost me about $20 to make a set for each side of the trailer. Takes 99% of the rock out of the trailer. When I'm camping, I get a raised eyebrow look from my neighbors who want to see what I got going on there. Then they laugh when they realize how simplistic is it.

And for stabilizing jack chocks, I use pressure treated cut 4x4s with a piece of rope as a handle. We use the same thing on our rescue truck (Im a firefighter) when we stabilize vehicles, etc. They are cheap, easy to maneuver, can be stacked, and wont rot.

Anyone with a chop saw can make this stuff in under an hour. Attached is a link to a picture of my homemade X chock.

https://goo.gl/photos/6cEyuGJJEYm8duLr6
Camco also makes that design for around $20....for those who like them but don't want to make them.
Camco 44622 Wheel Stops w/o Lock

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Camco also makes that design for around $20....for those who like them but don't want to make them.
Camco 44622 Wheel Stops w/o Lock
Oooh, very nice. Did not know about them. They look a helluva lot nicer and high tech than mine! I'd buy for $20 assuming they work as well. Anybody have these?
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #32

U have a set and they work fine.
2022 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RK
Retired Air Force
swmelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocks