Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Cleaning question

Being a newbie I'm not sure which thread(s) would best suit my question, but I'll start here. When is the best time to clean upholstery? Our grandchildren were with us last weekend and it was a muddy one. I spot cleaned the upholstery & carpet as needed but wondered what the best practice was, at the end of the season or when you get your unit out in the spring. Unfortunately we will have only a few more nights out before we winterize.

Nights camped 2012-2017 118, 2018 53,
The Wolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #2

We usually use our carpet cleaner on the carpet before we close for the winter just make sure it has ample time to dry and air out before closing it up.As for the upholstery usually a good vacuuming will do. If there are any dirty or greasy spots I usually use a scrub brush after hitting it with spot cleaner. (Make sure you try it on a inconspicuous area first) it will get most stains out. The scrub brush also helps get stubborn stains out of the carpet also I use a pet stain,and spot remover to get these spots. I hint from a van conversion factory I worked at you can throw a few dryer sheets in the rig scatter them around and it will be fresh smelling in the spring. We used this when stolen vehicles were brought in to be refurbished and they reeked of pot, tobacco, and alcohol. We'd scatter them all over and lock the van in a storage shed for a few days and it would kill most of the stink.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

It's always better to clean up before things get too dirty. Probably one weekend of kids would be enough. Bissell makes some good upholstery/carpet cleaning equipment that will suck out the dirtiest of stuff and not get it too wet. You don't want to soak anything through considering the materials most RV's are made of.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolfs View Post
Being a newbie I'm not sure which thread(s) would best suit my question, but I'll start here. When is the best time to clean upholstery? Our grandchildren were with us last weekend and it was a muddy one. I spot cleaned the upholstery & carpet as needed but wondered what the best practice was, at the end of the season or when you get your unit out in the spring. Unfortunately we will have only a few more nights out before we winterize.
Believe carpets especially and to a lesser degree the furniture should be cleaned as soon as soil is noted, or at completion of that trip at most. Both materials will last longer and look better if maintained regularly.
A Bissel combo carpet/upolstering machine works well with the chemicals they recommend. Others make similar tools. Remeber these surfaces see much more traffic and usage than the home due the compactness.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

We do clean as it gets dirty but do a very thorough cleaning every year before we close for the season. When we leave at the end of the year you would think it was new off the dealers lot. We have a large yellow lab and the wife vacuums about every other day to keep the fur cleaned up. We also found that the swiffers fit well in our underbelly compartment and are great for a quick moping to keep things tidy.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning