Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Clearing Snow Off Slides!!

Anyone have tips on how to best clear snow build up on top of slides before bringing each one in? We were on our first trip this weekend and woke up to several inches of snow. I ended climbing the ladder and sweeping/pushing the snow off each slide (x3) from the roof.

Roof was covered in several inches of snow and it was a little ... ummm ... slippery up there.

Wonder if the slide covers (look like small awnings) will help keep some of the snow off? Are they durable enough to support a few inches of snow?
seven_campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

A friend of mine has slideout awnings on his rv. He said they are a must if you plan on camping in rain or snow. I will get them at some point.
rockwooddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #3

We need to get some.

We understood there was a chance for snow, but Fri and Sat were really nice, so we figured forecasters were off. Anyway, it started to snow Sat night and at least a couple of inches on the roof by Sunday am.

It was a pain sweeping the snow off, especially the master bedroom slide. The entire roof was covered in wet/heavy snow, and I wasn't too thrilled about how close I was to the front cap when clearing the master bedroom slide off so that will be first to get the awning.
seven_campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

Our dealer gave us his honest opinion on the slider topper awnings. He said they're more trouble than they're worth. We usually camp in wooded areas. Sticks, leaves, etc. get trapped underneath the slide topper and it is really difficult to get those things out from underneath, since there isn't much clearance between the awning and the slide. We're going without them and will faithfully clean off our slide before putting it back in.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Again, an open forum. Everyone has an opinion on everything.

Having had slide toppers I would never consider not having them.

Push the button and the snow slides right off. We never had branches or large anything under the topper. Had some leaves in there once when a storm blew through, but there was several inches of space under the topper to push them out with a broom.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

Had one camper without and it was a real pain to clear the top when ever you wanted to pull in the slide. Also had a leak above the slide that ended up rotting the entire run that would not have happened had we a topper awning on that one. Won't have another camper without them.....

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Grape Escape

I only see negatives for slide toppers. Heavy snow will weigh them down and you would still have to climb up and brush them off.
Awning is enough work to keep clean of mildew dirtetc.
Don't need 2-3 more just to cover slideouts unnecessarily.
Ps We just looked at a dealer who has lots of new Rockwoods on his lot on a slightly windy day and heard the flapping in each one of them. Can't imagine on a really windy day.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Everyone has their opinion, but I am one that would not be without toppers. I frequently camp in wooded areas and have not had a problem with debris under the toppers. Branches and leaves which I would have to clear off the top of the slide out, simply fall off as the topper rolls up. It keeps the other debris off the top of the slide out as well. The last thing I need is tree sap and bird droppings on the top of the slide out inside my fifth wheel baking at 115 degrees on a Phoenix summer day.

However they were not much help in heavy snow as the slide out would not retract because of the weight of the snow. I had to get on the roof to clean them off so the slide out would retract, but I most likely would have had to do that anyway whether I had toppers or not, so there was no gain or loss on those occassions. Everything else is a plus for them.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
ldl

IMHO any minus of snow problem would be grossly outweigh by the benefits of all the other times you would not have to climb up to clean the slide top. It is a guarantee every time without the topper but a maybe sometime with the topper. A no brainier for me.

I have had 3 campers with toppers and to me there is no other way to go. I live in the south and we get leaves, pinestraw, small branches etc. Just hit the slide and it all goes over the side.

Like I said JMHO.

I say if you don't like them don't get them.
ldl is offline   Reply With Quote