Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Cold forecast

I will be camping in night temps of low 30’s to high 20’s. I have heated underbelly w tank heaters. Any pointers to prevent water line freeze ups?
ronrox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Need more information- are you on sewer hook ups?
IF YES- then you can open dump valve and leave a tiny trickle running at a faucet.

IF you are not on sewer but are on city water- me-I'd put some water in my tank and disconnect and drain the city water hose at night. Having said that we got up one morning in Tucson and the outside temp was showing 28. My hose did not freeze but I think I was lucky!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

Aren’t 110 volt heated water lines relatively inexpensive?

For short periods most water tanks have heating pads. Thus draining the water line is easy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Thanks. Think i ll fill fresh water tank and leave heat and tank heaters on since we will have electricity.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #5

loose the water hose and run of your fresh tank. if you have a 5th wheel put a small electric space heater in the basement.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Sounds good
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
If ruining a $100 bill is inexpensive in your world

I'm getting ready to do a Fall Trip that will take me through early morning freezing temps, possibly sudden cold while driving.

I have installed some "Pool Noodle" type insulation over the low point drain pipes. A short length held in place with a zip tie above the cap and a piece of foam stuffed in the end. Will also be wrapping some rubber foam pipe insulation tape with aluminum backing on the exposed black and gray water pipes, between edge of heating pad and valve. Tape itself is R-2 but I will double-layer it. 15'x2" Roll of tape was inexpensive at Home Depot. Less than $5. I figure that with the heating pad on the pipe and tank, only the short length of exposed pipe will not freeze with the insulation.

Rather than a $100 heated hose I'll run off the tank and just fill it when it gets low. Will be spending a week in Northern NM at 8,000 feet. All the campground water "faucets" are freeze proof hydrants so filling will be easy even if temp stays below freezing. This approach served me well in a Colorado winter where one AM the window thermometer showed -15 degrees. A good reason to always keep the tank filled if camping during cold weather. Nice to be able to flush the toilet, take a shower, and wash dishes even though it's freezing outside. And then there are campgrounds that DON'T have frost/freeze proof hydrants and just shut off the water when it gets cold. (Butte, MT KOA).

First half the trip will see freezing or near freezing temps. The return leg will, if temps stay close to what they are now, will be 80-100 degrees. Talk about contrasts.

BTW, here's a nice site to get both current and future forecasts for the highways you will be driving:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us.../long-term/i-5

Select the highway and look at the forecast for the major reporting stations along it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #8

THANKS! We are doing the same trip. Appreciate the advice
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

HI , I'm thinking about doing a hunting / fishing trip to the mountains over the long Thanksgiving weekend + a few days. I'm used to doing this in a tent ,then a popup, now in a ROO 19. My question is, if they turn the water off during freezing temps, do they not also turn the water off at the dump station? If so, how do you dump / rinse the black tanks??
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
HI , I'm thinking about doing a hunting / fishing trip to the mountains over the long Thanksgiving weekend + a few days. I'm used to doing this in a tent ,then a popup, now in a ROO 19. My question is, if they turn the water off during freezing temps, do they not also turn the water off at the dump station? If so, how do you dump / rinse the black tanks??
The water will be off at the Dump stations, maybe! Have a bucket and hope you are near the lake! Youroo! !
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

Well then , I guess I'll have to do what bears do...........
Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

As others have already said...run off of your fresh water tank and be very water conservative so you don't fill your tanks too quickly.

You can dump your tanks without rinsing if you are in a freeze location and do the rinse once you get to a place that is warmer.

Also, only hook up your hose when you need to fill your tank and unhook it once your tank is full!

One other thing...

Keep a very close eye on your outside shower or outside kitchen faucet (if you have them) as they will freeze up and you won't find out about it until the thaw comes!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

Keep a very close eye on your outside shower or outside kitchen faucet (if you have them) as they will freeze up and you won't find out about it until the thaw comes!

I "wintered" in a TT during a Denver winter while having a house built. I merely removed the outside shower hose and wand then stuffed the compartment with some fiberglass insulation, closed cover, then sealed with some Duct Tape. There is enough heat leakage from inside into the compartment and the insulation/sealed cover traps enough to keep the faucet head from freezing. Unless you are Finnish or a Laplander there's a slim chance you'll be taking outside showers during freezing weather

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If ruining a $100 bill is inexpensive in your world

I'm getting ready to do a Fall Trip that will take me through early morning freezing temps, possibly sudden cold while driving.

I have installed some "Pool Noodle" type insulation over the low point drain pipes. A short length held in place with a zip tie above the cap and a piece of foam stuffed in the end. Will also be wrapping some rubber foam pipe insulation tape with aluminum backing on the exposed black and gray water pipes, between edge of heating pad and valve. Tape itself is R-2 but I will double-layer it. 15'x2" Roll of tape was inexpensive at Home Depot. Less than $5. I figure that with the heating pad on the pipe and tank, only the short length of exposed pipe will not freeze with the insulation.

Rather than a $100 heated hose I'll run off the tank and just fill it when it gets low. Will be spending a week in Northern NM at 8,000 feet. All the campground water "faucets" are freeze proof hydrants so filling will be easy even if temp stays below freezing. This approach served me well in a Colorado winter where one AM the window thermometer showed -15 degrees. A good reason to always keep the tank filled if camping during cold weather. Nice to be able to flush the toilet, take a shower, and wash dishes even though it's freezing outside. And then there are campgrounds that DON'T have frost/freeze proof hydrants and just shut off the water when it gets cold. (Butte, MT KOA).

First half the trip will see freezing or near freezing temps. The return leg will, if temps stay close to what they are now, will be 80-100 degrees. Talk about contrasts.

BTW, here's a nice site to get both current and future forecasts for the highways you will be driving:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us.../long-term/i-5

Select the highway and look at the forecast for the major reporting stations along it.

That’s a great resource- thanks for sharing it.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #15

In parts of the country with freeze issues they typically use freeze proof water valves. You know when you have to move the long handle 90 degrees.

Not turn the wheel typically.

Usually some sites in a park open year round have the fancy valves. The valve itself is down deep. Any of the regular ones are turned off and winterized.

Most of the campgrounds we were in last summer had the fancy valves.

Like said you can use your heated tank and use a regular hose to fill as necessary.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #16

Thanks for the tip on the outside shower, I had forgotten about that. My main concern was being able to dump the poo tank in freezing weather. I know there's a heater on the fresh water tank, I got off my butt and crawled under the camper and saw where there are heaters on both black and grey tanks as well as on the necks where the valves are. SO there will be no frozen poo waiting on a spring thaw...........
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
I "wintered" in a TT during a Denver winter while having a house built. I merely removed the outside shower hose and wand then stuffed the compartment with some fiberglass insulation, closed cover, then sealed with some Duct Tape. There is enough heat leakage from inside into the compartment and the insulation/sealed cover traps enough to keep the faucet head from freezing. Unless you are Finnish or a Laplander there's a slim chance you'll be taking outside showers during freezing weather

Up in the National Forest , we used to pull water out of the creek to get cleaned up with. You can take a bath in a gallon of water in freezing temps. Thats what we did tent camping up there.yeah it was cold..............
Old 10-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
My outside shower is on the very back wall of the 5'ver in a small separate compartment that doesn't have a heating duct near it.

I stuffed it full of insulation and did what I could...but it still froze up.

Of course, when I replaced the faucet I filled that area full of insulation.

However, now that I live in the desert southwest...I'm not too worried about a freeze up anymore.

I still wish that all RV's with outside showers should have assessable shut-off valves on them...

But most don't.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
My outside shower is on the very back wall of the 5'ver in a small separate compartment that doesn't have a heating duct near it.

I stuffed it full of insulation and did what I could...but it still froze up.

Of course, when I replaced the faucet I filled that area full of insulation.

However, now that I live in the desert southwest...I'm not too worried about a freeze up anymore.

I still wish that all RV's with outside showers should have assessable shut-off valves on them...

But most don't.
Mine is on the back wall of my TT just below my bathroom sink. No heat duct in bathroom (??) But if I leave vanity cabinet door open it still gets enough heat to keep from freezing. Planning on cutting in some vent "ports" in all the compartments with water lines and equipment.

That way I dont need to remember to open doors when cold.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Rv Living Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

For short periods most water tanks have heating pads. Thus draining the water line is easy.
I am going to make one out of an existing hose and electrical "heat wrap". I bought the CAMCO hose from Amazon and the thing leaked out of the box. None of the pre-made hoses had good reviews.
nodebtpuma is offline   Reply With Quote