Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

cold weather travel new RVer

I am fairly new to RVing. Have had my Class C 2016 Coachman Leprechaun 220QB less than a year. Am traveling from Florida March 24 to a seasonal job in a national park in South Dakota arriving April 8. I didn't realize that night time temperatures can still be so cold that time of year. A customized skirt is not an option and the DIY skirting projects seem a bit overwhelming at this time. Should I winterize and see if staying in employee housing the first week or two is an option? Obviously I would prefer to live in my RV from the get go if possible. When I see wrapping pipes,etc skirting, putting a heater under the RV I get a bit anxious. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

judyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Gold Tee Box

The last average frost/freeze date where we are in Missourah is April 23rd. Whatever you do, I would prepare for a longer period of time.

I am sure others who are more familiar with your unit can give specific advice.

42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Judy! Welcome to FRF!
You don't say which park but I just googled average temps in Badlands NP.
April doesn't look too bad.

My advice is take a good look at the forecast for the area you are headed right before you leave. You might be OK.
Worst case is you winterize and still stay in your RV. We've dry camped in cold weather many times. Get a Blue water tote for coffee and cooking and drinking. Flush the potty with a milk jug of water sitting next to it. OR better use the park rest rooms for showers and potty as much as possible.
Good luck and have fun!!!
Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

You say you have a class C. Do you know if all of the tanks are heated and enclosed? If so, and you are living in it and heating it, why would you need to winterize? Just fill up the Fresh Water tank (don't want the hose connection to freeze) and use your water pump for your water.

I don't own a class C, but have two friends who do. They do winter camping and have had no issues with winter camping as long as they don't leave a hose connected to the city water line.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Dry camping for my initial time there might be the answer. I will contact the HR Director today to be sure there is hot and cold running water in the campground washrooms. I don't think I have insulated tanks as they are an option ( I bought preowned). I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer for a pre trip inspection, will ask about the tanks. I"m sure I will have many other questions as I go along. So far the short trips here in Florida have gone smoothly, my tow package has become comfortable to use but when it comes to the varied systems and troubleshooting I am definitely a novice. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on these forums, I'm so happy to have access to that.

Again, thanks
Judy
judyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Canadian member

As a Canadian coming to Florida, going back in April this question is coming almost every year. My RV dealer explained to me that they we should not worry about winterizing again as long as day time temperature doesnít go below 32 F for few days. Night time can go as low as 15 F , and this is not a problem. Problems may come If we have few days with below freezing temperature day and night. Note likely to happen in April.

Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel