Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Concentrated Bleach! Calcs & question

Bought bleach to sanitize my fresh water system. Got home & realized it was concentrated.
(Sodium hypochlorite 7.4%) 1/4 cup per 15 Gal. would no longer work. Called Clorox help line, they said reduce by 1/3 the amount of bleach to use. My tank, including HW, is 42 Gal. Please check my math. Calculations are as follows:
1/4 cup = 2oz. (per 15 Gal.)
2 oz. x 0.666 (approximately 2/3) = 1.332 oz. per 15 Gal. (2/3 of 2 oz.)
So, 2.664 oz. concentrated bleach for 30 Gal. Fresh Water.
42 Gal. - 30 Gal. = 12 Gal. left
1.332 oz. per 15 Gal. divided by 15 = 0.088 oz. per gallon.
0.088 oz. per gallon x 12 Gal. = 1.06
So...2.644 oz. concentrated bleach for 30 Gal. plus 1.06 oz. for 12 Gal. =
3.7 oz. concentrated bleach for 42 Gallons.

I have a Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905, am sanitizing from the freshwater tank. is there an easy way to sanitize that short connection from city water?

Thanks for any and all replies.... Norm
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
... I have a Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905, am sanitizing from the freshwater tank. is there an easy way to sanitize that short connection from city water?...
Don't know what you mean by short connection from city water, but using an empty water hose, pour the bleach in the hose using a funnel and then hook one end to the fw tank and the other to your home house bib and turn it on very slowly and not full blast and fill the tank.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bought bleach to sanitize my fresh water system. Got home & realized it was concentrated.
(Sodium hypochlorite 7.4%) 1/4 cup per 15 Gal. would no longer work. Called Clorox help line, they said reduce by 1/3 the amount of bleach to use. My tank, including HW, is 42 Gal. Please check my math. Calculations are as follows:
1/4 cup = 2oz. (per 15 Gal.)
2 oz. x 0.666 (approximately 2/3) = 1.332 oz. per 15 Gal. (2/3 of 2 oz.)
So, 2.664 oz. concentrated bleach for 30 Gal. Fresh Water.
42 Gal. - 30 Gal. = 12 Gal. left
1.332 oz. per 15 Gal. divided by 15 = 0.088 oz. per gallon.
0.088 oz. per gallon x 12 Gal. = 1.06
So...2.644 oz. concentrated bleach for 30 Gal. plus 1.06 oz. for 12 Gal. =
3.7 oz. concentrated bleach for 42 Gallons.

I have a Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905, am sanitizing from the freshwater tank. is there an easy way to sanitize that short connection from city water?

Thanks for any and all replies.... Norm
How are you figuring 42 gals. if you have a 30 gal. fresh water tank ?? Most water heaters are 6 gallons.

I just figure in the 30 gal. fresh water tank. I fill that, drive around a bit to thoroughly mix the solution and to splash it around. Then pump through the lines, including the water heater. So, I don't include the water heater in my calculation. Once the solution proportions are mixed, you can pump that anywhere, and it will remain the same, as long as the lines and water heater were already empty.

Once I let that set in the lines for a while, I capture some water out of 1 of the faucets into a milk jug. I then dump that jug into my water hoses, hook the ends together, and walk the line a couple of time making sure all of the hoses get some of that Clorox mix. After letting that set a couple of minutes, I then hook up the hose to my city water connection, and run a tiny bit of water through to sanitize that "short connection". Then while I still have the hose hooked up, I start the rinse cycle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Then while I still have the hose hooked up, I start the rinse cycle.
I got DW a washing machine years ago. Using a hose to rinse is so 1960.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

like mtn guy said, how do you get 42 gal? you are way over thinking this. go with the 30 gal tank size and using your previous mixture of 1/4 cup per 15 gal, that would be 1 cup per 30 gals, decreased by 1/3 would be 2/3 cup concentrated bleach. close enough for govt work. using the water pump, you can pump this through your lines and hot water heater. I usually get my bleach into the tank by pouring it through the fresh water hose and then continuing to fill the tank through that hose. the ho se gets a good flush and it mixes in the tank. you can premix a little in a cup and use the sme method to put the mix through city water hook up as well. works well for us.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=anaro;383421]...go with the 30 gal tank size and using your previous mixture of 1/4 cup per 15 gal, that would be 1 cup per 30 gals.../QUOTE]

Think that would be 1/2 cup per 30 gal.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Just make sure there is no soap in your bleach.
Ick...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #8

Fw tank is 36 gal. Hw tank is 6 gal. so 42 gal total. mtnguy I get what you say about using water pump in trailer to suck bleach solution from a jug into the city connection just like I did with antifreeze when I was winterizing.
Nammy
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Fw tank is 36 gal. Hw tank is 6 gal. so 42 gal total. mtnguy I get what you say about using water pump in trailer to suck bleach solution from a jug into the city connection just like I did with antifreeze when I was winterizing.
Nammy
You should sanitize before you un bypass your water heater.
Only fill water heater after your done sanitizing.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nammy
That is not what I meant. I don't sanitize the antifreeze line.

I hook my water hose to the city water connection, and pump that bleach solution through the city water connection to sanitize that short line.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You should sanitize before you un bypass your water heater.
Only fill water heater after your done sanitizing.
Ron, I do it both ways. I don't drink what comes out of the water heater, I still sanitize it. Even though most water heaters have a high enough heat setting to kill bacteria, I take the extra step to run the bleach solution through that also.

Some people say I am anal.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

Unless you dumped the whole gallon into the fresh water tank(and that has been done by some unknowingly before) there's no way to really mess it up. Flush a few times with clean water and if there's a trace of chlorine smell leftover, make up a mixture of fresh water and a little baking soda. I had to do that last season but can't remember the recipe. Maybe someone else has it down.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

My secret method of sanitizing the city water check valve.

After all the lines are full of sanitizer from the fresh water tank using the pump, I remove the silt screen in the city water inlet check valve, and using my finger; jiggle the plastic check valve stem until chlorine smell is detected. I then put the screen back in.

This also works when winterizing; I just wait for the "pink" to show.

(PS I always carry spare screen washers in the camper in case I break it)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=OldCoot;383429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
...go with the 30 gal tank size and using your previous mixture of 1/4 cup per 15 gal, that would be 1 cup per 30 gals.../QUOTE]

Think that would be 1/2 cup per 30 gal.
Your right one of those sleepy brain farts
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Ron, I do it both ways. I don't drink what comes out of the water heater, I still sanitize it. Even though most water heaters have a high enough heat setting to kill bacteria, I take the extra step to run the bleach solution through that also.

Some people say I am anal.
Huh....
I never have but maybe I should

We drink our water.... country folk u know......
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #16

hey all... thank you for your kind and considered replies!
I'm going to ask three more questions up front...
Question 1: Some people bleach their HW tank, some don't... I know the rationale for not bleaching is that heat will kill those pesky varmints. What are the pros & cons for either process?
Question 2: If I drain the bleach solution on my lawn will it kill my grass or have harmful effects on my well water? (I'm thinking if the bleach solution leaches into my well there will be little drawback at all, unless beneficial bacteria are harmed)
Question 3: If I don't drive the trailer to slosh around the contents as mtnguy suggested, will the fumes still be enough to sanitize?
I purged the anti-freeze and pressurized my water system from shore a few weeks ago to see if the Hot Water was working (it is) Tonight I drained the water system totally, including the hot water tank and grey and black tanks as well since they've had no human waste in them.
My plan going forward is to use the concentration of bleach that I've calculated (bypassing the Hot Water tank unless I hear testimony to the contrary) and follow the steps that have been documented in numerous threads. Will pump bleach solution through the shore water connection from a jug. At this time our trips (23 nights this summer) are predicated on having safe shore water to drink (Ontario Provincial Parks) so we will not need to drink from our fresh water tank. (assuming on-site water supply which I think we have)
I am totally new at this, only camped in my daughter's driveway so far. (last fall) Perhaps the concentrated bleach would not make much difference, but I just want to do it right.
@mtnguy: my antifreeze line is my shore water supply line. I'm in a very small trailer.
Again, I want to thank you all for all your input, it has helped me to clarify what I need to do!
More input appreciated!
Norm
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Quote:
hey all... thank you for your kind and considered replies!
I'm going to ask three more questions up front...
Question 1: Some people bleach their HW tank, some don't... I know the rationale for not bleaching is that heat will kill those pesky varmints. What are the pros & cons for either process?
Question 2: If I drain the bleach solution on my lawn will it kill my grass or have harmful effects on my well water? (I'm thinking if the bleach solution leaches into my well there will be little drawback at all, unless beneficial bacteria are harmed)
Question 3: If I don't drive the trailer to slosh around the contents as mtnguy suggested, will the fumes still be enough to sanitize?
I purged the anti-freeze and pressurized my water system from shore a few weeks ago to see if the Hot Water was working (it is) Tonight I drained the water system totally, including the hot water tank and grey and black tanks as well since they've had no human waste in them.
My plan going forward is to use the concentration of bleach that I've calculated (bypassing the Hot Water tank unless I hear testimony to the contrary) and follow the steps that have been documented in numerous threads. Will pump bleach solution through the shore water connection from a jug. At this time our trips (23 nights this summer) are predicated on having safe shore water to drink (Ontario Provincial Parks) so we will not need to drink from our fresh water tank. (assuming on-site water supply which I think we have)
I am totally new at this, only camped in my daughter's driveway so far. (last fall) Perhaps the concentrated bleach would not make much difference, but I just want to do it right.
@mtnguy: my antifreeze line is my shore water supply line. I'm in a very small trailer.
Again, I want to thank you all for all your input, it has helped me to clarify what I need to do!
More input appreciated!
Norm
It is possible, IMHO, to over think this stuff a bit, so I think you are doing fine with what your approach is. I do think you should pump your sanitizing solution through the water heater after you have prepared it in the fresh water tank. Why not its easy.

Chlorine mixes really fast in water, so while driving is okay, waiting for 30 minutes or so is just as effective, based on my experience.

100ppm chlorine will not do your lawn any good, that for sure, but probably won't kill it either. Dilution with water from your hose will help.

I get the little test strips from a pool supply place and you can verify the you have enough chlorine through the entire system that way.

GO CAMPING NOW, THAT'S WHAT IT IS ALLABOUT.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #18

Well, yes, camping IS what it's all about... (last year we camped in a tent, this year it's more like we have a hotel room on wheels...) Me & milady have been out in the driveway tonight, making up the bed, packing the stuff we want/need. We'll be out next weekend, listening to the loons, walking the trails, enjoying what we used to enjoy with the kids except that now the kids are grown. We're looking forward to reconnecting with each other....
Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Con....it is a bit of trouble. To completely drain the bleach solution out of the tank, you need to remove the drain plug/anode rod.

Quote:
I drain the bleach solution onto my driveway, which drains to the grass, with no ill effects.....so far.

I know a guy that had a bacterial problem in his well, and the well people told him to dump 2 gallons of bleach down his well head, and turn on the faucets....that corrected the problem.

Quote:
Have no idea on that quesion.