Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Condensation

Newby here.
Just bought a Forest River Sunseeker.
While camping last weekend we experienced sever moisture on the upper walls.
Dealer did a pressure test and found basically no leaks.
The weather was very rainy and we had the furnace on.
Is it possible for the furnace to cause severe moisture; hands were wet from touching the upper walls, even inside cabinets, bow to stern?
Chief4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

It's possible for your breathing to create that much condensation if no vents or windows were cracked open.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Furnace should not create moisture inside. All combustion products are sent out exhaust vent, however just living breathing and being in a small closed up space causes humidity, that coupled with cold walls creates condensation. Try opening one or two windows a crack. Also if you had condensation on walls, you may have some under bed. The moisture from your body goes through mattress and will condense on the cold bed frame. After camping in cold conditions, I always prop up mattress to dry out for a few days. You can try a dehumidifier, but you need to be aware of the current load especially if you are running electric heat.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #4

We always have both roof cents open at least a little, even in the winter just to keep the moisture down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Thank you for the responses.
The dealer is working with us and installed vent covers so we can keep the vents open during the rain, and gave us a bunch of H2ONO canisters to capture the moisture. A new acquaintance recommended a dehumidifier that he uses for the condensation, so might give that a go also.
Larry
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Kitty litter inside of old rolled up socks help in cars so maybe they'll help in an RV.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

The best way to go is a dehumidifier. You will find the unit feels warmer and there will be no moisture in the air. We winter camp on the wet coast of Canada and need the dehumidifier in order to keep the trailer comfortable. Our neighbours had a moisture problem with mold starting to form inside their MH. After using the dehumidifier they no longer have a moisture problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Team

I use a dehumidifier. I also use it when the TT is stored. I have one with the external drain option and connected it to a 1/2" vinyl hose that drains through the floor and underbelly under the shower. I also ran a separate power line through the same area so I do not have to leave TT ( converter) plugged in all the time. For reference: In Maryland set at 55% removed 2.5 gals of water from closed up TT in last two weeks.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Get a dehumidifier.......that will solve your problems.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

I agree with the other members here, your problem is air circulation, thus closing up the trailer only allows moisture to pool. Think of your bathroom after a shower and there is no venting, moisture just hangs then creates mould and mildew problems. Putting on vent covers (ie Maxair) will allow air flow. We added a second 12v fan in our front vent cover so by having the fan in the bathroom drawing air out and the bedroom vent drawing air in we have a circulation of fresh air, thus no condensation.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Gas appliances generate humidity which will affect your levels inside the trailer. Rainy weather and a furnace running spells wet.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Gas appliances generate humidity which will affect your levels inside the trailer. Rainy weather and a furnace running spells wet.
Gas use increases humidity because one of the products of combustion is water. So the statement above is correct for your stove and oven. However, a furnace (and HWH) will not affect humidity as the products of combustion exhaust outside. If it is causing increased humidity, you have much bigger problems; make sure your CO detector is working.

I think one reason this urban myth occurs is that warming your TT with the furnace increases the air temperature, allowing it to HOLD more moisture (from your stove/oven, and your breath). There is now a greater temperature differential between this warm air and the cool trailer sides, so you now get greater condensation. So people THINK it's "from" the furnace, but it's not. It is NOT from the furnace or HWH.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

Thanks for your response.
Living in a rain forest a dehumidifier is in order. The RV is put away for the winter, down south near Seattle. Hopefully the moisture is out of the rig and no issues come spring.
Have placed several H20ut's in the unit. Will see how they do.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Gas use increases humidity because one of the products of combustion is water. So the statement above is correct for your stove and oven. However, a furnace (and HWH) will not affect humidity as the products of combustion exhaust outside. If it is causing increased humidity, you have much bigger problems; make sure your CO detector is working.

I think one reason this urban myth occurs is that warming your TT with the furnace increases the air temperature, allowing it to HOLD more moisture (from your stove/oven, and your breath). There is now a greater temperature differential between this warm air and the cool trailer sides, so you now get greater condensation. So people THINK it's "from" the furnace, but it's not. It is NOT from the furnace or HWH.
I stand corrected, thanks for the info.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #15

We winter in central Florida. Last year we had some cool mornings and running space heaters, coffee pot, toaster, etc would cause condensation on walls and in cabinets. A dehumidifier solved the problem. A smaller unit from Lowe's fits in the TT well, is quiet and effective. This one is branded "Hisense, Model DH-35K1SJE5. Removes 35 pints per day". Under $200. Good luck.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #16

Was looking for answers to excessive interior moisture problem. Will be adding a humidifier to the unit. Thanks
Bev52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev52 View Post
Was looking for answers to excessive interior moisture problem. Will be adding a humidifier to the unit. Thanks

I hope you mean dehumidifier. The other one will add additional humidity to the unit.

The wife and I have been living in our new XLR Nitro over the past couple days while staying at the in-laws. Average nightly temperature has been in the mid to high 20's. I have a dehumidifer in the bedroom, along with the some of the larger desiccant packs that are rechargeable in each room. We crack the roof vent in the bedroom and bathroom at night and so far the only real moisture we get is on one of the bedroom windows. The other stays dry, I think because the dehumidifier is blowing the warm dry air on it.

We're going to look into getting a second dehumidifer and putting it on a tray so it blows on that window to keep it from sweating. Raising the overall internal temperature will help as well so that more of the humidity will remain in the air. You will need to make sure to exchange some of the internal air with external air.

Only other humidity issue we have is we discovered the sky light over the shower has two pieces of plastic with an air gap in between. Which wouldn't be a problem, except the inner plastic wasn't fully mounted so there was an airgap between inside and the dead space so humidity got in there while showering. I added it to the punch list to let the dealer know about.
barron.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote