Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

cooling off engine

After a long haul, it's a good idea, according to a mechanic friend of mine, after shutting down your engine, to pop the hood on the TV. This allows the heat to escape, rather than cook your cooling hoses and fan belts.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

I have an automatic shut off on mine. After the turbo reaches 300 degrees it will auotmatically shut down. I can adjust it for time or temperature. If you shut a diesel down too soon the turbo is still spinning at a high rpm without any oil flow. This will cause the oil to coke and minimize the oil flow.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

yeesh....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Wish I had the auto feature on my 04 SuperCrew 6.0. I believe Ford recommends 10-15 minutes of idle time after working the motor hard for cool down, as opposed to shutting off and raising hood. Let the cooling system do the job
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Resident Masshole

You mean for diesel engines, right?

I've never heard, or done this, on a gas engine before.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They sell aftermarket turbo timers.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

@ Force, yes the Diesel engine, arjerram, has a diesel listed as his tv, but I have heard of guys opening the hood on their gassers to cool them after working them particularly hard.
@f1100turbo, I guess I never thought to look aftermarket. My truck is unmodified. there's probably thousands I could find out there to spend on it. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
@ Force, yes the Diesel engine, arjerram, has a diesel listed as his tv, but I have heard of guys opening the hood on their gassers to cool them after working them particularly hard.
@f1100turbo, I guess I never thought to look aftermarket. My truck is unmodified. there's probably thousands I could find out there to spend on it. Thanks!

my recomendation.
BD Cool Down Turbo Timer 1081150

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/BD-Diesel-Pe...#ht_1896wt_679
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Cooling down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
Ok, now I learned something! I wasn't aware that it was a good idea to allow the engine to idle after a long haul! I was only thinking of the hoses, etc., cooking in the residual heat after engine shut down, regardless of type.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
Ok, now I learned something! I wasn't aware that it was a good idea to allow the engine to idle after a long haul! I was only thinking of the hoses, etc., cooking in the residual heat after engine shut down, regardless of type.
Always a good idea to do the cool down especially on a turbo diesel after a hard pull and pulling in to home or a fuel stop.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
If you shut a diesel down too soon the turbo is still spinning at a high rpm without any oil flow. This will cause the oil to coke and minimize the oil flow.

It's not the turbo spinning that cokes the oil, it's the heat. The turbine usually stops spinning with 10 seconds or so, and there's enough oil in the bearings to keep it lubed as it stops. The problem starts after it is stopped and the oil stops moving too.

Heat soak from the hot manifold and downpipe (a little worse on V8 diesels due to the more complex piping) will cause whatever oil is left in the turbo to cook and leave deposits (coke). This is bad beacaue the turbo normally gets fed clean filtered oil. The deposits will, over time, eat into the seals on both ends of the turbine shaft and eventually start leaking. A leak on the exhaust side can cause issues with the catalytic converter, and DPF (if equipped). Worst case is an exhaust pipe fire. On the intake side, oil can coat the inside of the aftercooler, reducing its efficiency. If there is a substantial leak, the engine can experience diesel runaway. That's where the engine will run on a different combustible source of fuel, other than diesel. The engine can easily exceed its redline RPM, and usually self destructs.

Diesel engines in high risk environments (oil fields, chemical plants, ships) are fitted with intake air cutoffs, that chokes off an engines air supply and brings it to a stop if it does runaway.

Idling the engine before shutdown will prevent this problem. If unloaded, a minute or two is sufficient for turbo cooldown. Towing or heavy loads on the engine can take 5 to 10 minutes of idling to cool the turbo and manifold sufficiently. If you have a EGT gauge installed, you have it easier. If the pyro probe is installed in the manifold between the engine and turbo (pre-turbo), you can safely shutdown when the gauge hits 350º or lower. This seems to be the happy temperature for turbos, large and small. It's the same temperature we shut down our engines at work (USCG buoy tender). The turbos on our main engines are 2 feet wide and weigh about 800 lbs.

Sorry for being a little long winded but I figure this is good information for anyone that runs a diesel in either a pickup truck or a Class A.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train

I cool off my engine. 250 on the pyro or 2 mins normal driving. At least 5 mins towing.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

That what mine is it can be set for time or temperature.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #14

jrs diesel, Not too long winded for inquiring minds. Thats what I like about these forums, people sharing knowledge. I think this info should be pinned in a tech forum or somewhere convenient.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #15

The diesel supplement for my 2012 F350 DRW LB states : "to prolong engine life (especially after extended high speed, high ambient temperature, or high GVW/GCW operation, such as heavy loads and/or heavy trailers), it is recommended that a hot engine be idled for 3-5 minutes which will allow the turbocharged engine to cool down."

Checking your manuals are probably the best bet. Those Internet experts aren't the one who will honor your warranty should you have an issue ;-)

Just sayin' and your mileage may vary.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote