Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #21

I know many of you say to not use an impact (Milwaukee 18 volt cordless) , I welded 3/4" nuts on the end of my stabilizers and the use the impact to tighten the stabilizer on top of my block. That`s just me. I tried the drill but i wanted it to have a little more load onto the stabilizer, I just don`t tighten it to much. I have done it this way for several years and have had no issues, and of course this is after I level side to side.
divers6926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #22

X2 on the camco socket
Bought a ryobi 18v rechargeable drill to keep in the trailer toolkit as well. It's just easier having the correct tools and not having to remember them for each trip...
I got the drill at Home Depot in a set with an rechargeable inflator...figured that would come in handy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Picked up adapter off Amazon. Leave it with cordless 18v drill. That way keep all my sockets together in tv.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
Canadian Member

Absolutely no need to use an impact gun for stabilizers but as long as you aren't using it when you pull in late at night it doesn't bother me if you do. My 12V Black & Decker cordless will do the job but I always take my 18V Ryobi cordless. I stop when the trailer just barely starts to lift. I also use the adapter that fella10 posted.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #24

Second what Mr. Dan says. Your corner jacks are for stabilization only, not to be used for leveling your trailer. Use blocks under one side of wheels or the other plus the tongue jack to obtain level, then lower the stabilizers. Used a Sears Craftsman 18-volt cordless drill for years for this purpose.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #25

I bought this drill at Walmart for like $15 or so? Sears sells single sockets and got the 3/4" socket there. I keep the Hex to Square socket adapter in the box as well. Everything is very handy. I reduce the torque so it won't overtighten my levelers. Takes only seconds to raise and lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4673.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	130459  
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #26

Harbor Freight

I used to buy the name brand at Home Depot or Lowes. Seems like after a few years the batteries go bad, and by that time they have changed how the battery fits, or just changed the whole thing. Or the replacement battery cost is about equal to buying a new drill. For under $20.00 I can buy a new drill at Harbor Freight and it seems to last as long as the expensive drills else where. Granted the chuck does not seem to be the best quality. Had to take one back with chuck issue. I bought two last time they were on sale, just to have the extra battery. They have worked very well on my stabilizer jacks. I also don't like the noise from the impact drivers some people use. I happy with my cordless drill and the adapter the dealer threw in with my trailer. Run them all down on as many blocks as possible to keep them short, and come back with the hand tool and go about a turn and a half. Maybe check them again the next day. I also use the four pack of the Camco screw jacks on some blocks for a little more stabilization. Then I use the ratcheting cargo bars from Harbor Freight for a less expensive version of the JT Strong arms. Not sure I got the name correct. They are about $20.00 each, and work pretty good.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #27

I use my existing impact driver without issue. I just stop when it hits the surface.When I am in a "parking lot campground" site, I don't use it at night. On BLM and forest land, no one cares but the animals.

I bought a Craftsman 3pc impact to socket adapter set at an estate sale for $2. I found which socket fit my jacks. I bought an extra socket to use in that size for a quarter at a garage sale. Done.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.O View Post
don't need a drill, that's my 12 year old daughter's job... we'll see how long I can get away with having her do it before I need to get myself an extra drill for the camper...!!
You'll probably get another year out of her. Then she'll be a teenager!
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
You'll probably get another year out of her. Then she'll be a teenager!
ugh...!! really not looking forward to having a teenage daughter...!!! why can't the stay young...
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

I used to use an impact driver but it was noisy, just use a normal drill now to get to close then a few turns on the manual wrench to make it perfect.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #31

Got a Harbor Freight on sale for $15. Working excellent with torque setting at 18 after leveling side to side with Andersen and front to back with electric tongue jack. A full charge has been used for six set ups and take downs (48 times) and charged for safety's sake. My Makita battery costs almost as much as 2 Harbor Freight drills! Too bad the batteries don't fit the circular saw, vac, flashlight and reciprocating saw that came with the Makita and charger.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling