Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick45 View Post
Someone today told me that they have regularly sprayed their landing gear and undercarriage with automatic transmission fluid. He claimed that his 7 year old fifth wheel had little to no rust after all those years on the beach.
motor oil works also, anything to coat is better then nothing
__________________

__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
motor oil works also, anything to coat is better then nothing
Agreed - just remember - in simple terms, rust is simply what happens when the metal it is on is trying to return to its natural state.

Anything product that is applied to the metal that "blocks" or "coats" the metal and prevents that decaying process will go a long way in preventing rust and its subsequent effects.
__________________

__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
Boeing developed T-9. It is one of the best things out there for corrosion prevention. It is/was used extensively on aircraft carriers to prevent planes from corroding in the harsh salt air. Good stuff, can be a little pricey, from 17.99-24.99 depending on where you get it. I use it on all our stuff open to salt air - I live on a canal and the screen door closer will rust away quickly. I am still on the original on after 12 years. Neighbors have replaced theirs 2 times in 8 years (won't listen to suggestions).
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Boeing developed T-9. It is one of the best things out there for corrosion prevention. It is/was used extensively on aircraft carriers to prevent planes from corroding in the harsh salt air. Good stuff, can be a little pricey, from 17.99-24.99 depending on where you get it. I use it on all our stuff open to salt air - I live on a canal and the screen door closer will rust away quickly. I am still on the original on after 12 years. Neighbors have replaced theirs 2 times in 8 years (won't listen to suggestions).
15 years for Boeing, 4 at final Assy, 1 at the Northrop factory California, and the rest at NAS Pax VX 23, flight test and never heard of that FA18,T45,X31,AV 8 platforms
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 518
Salt X

Salt X or Salt Eliminator..........T-9 is also great stuff. Used the first 2 on my sailboat. Still use it now when we get home from the beach..........anything and everything metal gets hosed down with it....including bikes.
__________________
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
cstover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where the USCG sends us.
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post

15 years for Boeing, 4 at final Assy, 1 at the Northrop factory California, and the rest at NAS Pax VX 23, flight test and never heard of that FA18,T45,X31,AV 8 platforms
I am in the Coast Guard and use it quite a bit. I use it on 50 cal weapons mounted where they are exposed (and repeatedly doused with) to salt water.
__________________

__________________
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.