Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Corrosion blocking spray

This week we will be taking delivery on our new trailer and would like suggestions on preventing corrosion. The trailer will spend most of of the time near the ocean so rusting landing gear etc. is a real concern.

Are there suggestions on a product that might be helpful?
__________________

Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,587
Don't know if it's still in use, but Cosmoline is a gease-like product applied to slow corrosion. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.
__________________

__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,785
I work in the collision industry, so we are always concerned about corrosion. Unfortunately the best thing to prevent it is to have a galvinized coat and then an acid based primer and then a quiality top coat of paint. But since we can't get that on our trailers here's a couple of tips I can give.

#1- keep the frame clean- sounds simple but mud or dirt will hold moisture against the metal.
#2- you can get a ruberized undercoat from 3M, SEM, and other brands, kind of pricey, I think about $8-10 a big can. It is like a spray on bedliner but it doesn't dry hard like bedliner. And you can spray your frame with it. ( I've used about 3-4 cans on crew cab truck frames)
#3- if you notice any chips or rust spots near corners or bends, scuff the spot with a scotch brite or sandpaper (like 150-220 grit) and apply some etch primer and then some paint over the spots.

Possibly mud flaps on the tow vehicle or even behind the wheels on the trailer can help with the dirt and rock chips.
We don't have the perfect solution to prevent rust, but this should be better than factory!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
I have used the under coating you speak of and would like to know if it is flexible enough to use on landing gear that is extended and retracted.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I work in the collision industry, so we are always concerned about corrosion. Unfortunately the best thing to prevent it is to have a galvinized coat and then an acid based primer and then a quiality top coat of paint. But since we can't get that on our trailers here's a couple of tips I can give.

#1- keep the frame clean- sounds simple but mud or dirt will hold moisture against the metal.
#2- you can get a ruberized undercoat from 3M, SEM, and other brands, kind of pricey, I think about $8-10 a big can. It is like a spray on bedliner but it doesn't dry hard like bedliner. And you can spray your frame with it. ( I've used about 3-4 cans on crew cab truck frames)
#3- if you notice any chips or rust spots near corners or bends, scuff the spot with a scotch brite or sandpaper (like 150-220 grit) and apply some etch primer and then some paint over the spots.

Possibly mud flaps on the tow vehicle or even behind the wheels on the trailer can help with the dirt and rock chips.
We don't have the perfect solution to prevent rust, but this should be better than factory!
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,785
If it is like a scisor jack, I think it would work. If drop legs, like the front of a 5er, I think it would rub off.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
LPS 3 is what we use in the acft industry and other stuff but you can't get ahold of the other stuff
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
I am reading about Corrosion Block by Lear Chemical. I have seen it around boats here on the coast.
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 178
We coated the underside of our TT with a product called Rust Check, recommended by a number of fellow campers here in Canada. Site indicates available in eastern states.
__________________
Mike and Brenda

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick45 View Post
I am reading about Corrosion Block by Lear Chemical. I have seen it around boats here on the coast.
corrosion block like ACF 50 removes moisture and leaves the cell dead. but does not protect the metal from future corrosion. perockotone (spelling)
is installed at most factories ( Boeing,Lockheed) and coats the metal so moisture can not attack
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Someone today told me that they have regularly sprayed their landing gear and undercarriage with automatic transmission fluid. He claimed that his 7 year old fifth wheel had little to no rust after all those years on the beach.
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick45 View Post
Someone today told me that they have regularly sprayed their landing gear and undercarriage with automatic transmission fluid. He claimed that his 7 year old fifth wheel had little to no rust after all those years on the beach.
motor oil works also, anything to coat is better then nothing
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
motor oil works also, anything to coat is better then nothing
Agreed - just remember - in simple terms, rust is simply what happens when the metal it is on is trying to return to its natural state.

Anything product that is applied to the metal that "blocks" or "coats" the metal and prevents that decaying process will go a long way in preventing rust and its subsequent effects.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
Boeing developed T-9. It is one of the best things out there for corrosion prevention. It is/was used extensively on aircraft carriers to prevent planes from corroding in the harsh salt air. Good stuff, can be a little pricey, from 17.99-24.99 depending on where you get it. I use it on all our stuff open to salt air - I live on a canal and the screen door closer will rust away quickly. I am still on the original on after 12 years. Neighbors have replaced theirs 2 times in 8 years (won't listen to suggestions).
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Boeing developed T-9. It is one of the best things out there for corrosion prevention. It is/was used extensively on aircraft carriers to prevent planes from corroding in the harsh salt air. Good stuff, can be a little pricey, from 17.99-24.99 depending on where you get it. I use it on all our stuff open to salt air - I live on a canal and the screen door closer will rust away quickly. I am still on the original on after 12 years. Neighbors have replaced theirs 2 times in 8 years (won't listen to suggestions).
15 years for Boeing, 4 at final Assy, 1 at the Northrop factory California, and the rest at NAS Pax VX 23, flight test and never heard of that FA18,T45,X31,AV 8 platforms
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 520
Salt X

Salt X or Salt Eliminator..........T-9 is also great stuff. Used the first 2 on my sailboat. Still use it now when we get home from the beach..........anything and everything metal gets hosed down with it....including bikes.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
cstover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where the USCG sends us.
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post

15 years for Boeing, 4 at final Assy, 1 at the Northrop factory California, and the rest at NAS Pax VX 23, flight test and never heard of that FA18,T45,X31,AV 8 platforms
I am in the Coast Guard and use it quite a bit. I use it on 50 cal weapons mounted where they are exposed (and repeatedly doused with) to salt water.
__________________

cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


×