Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #31
Geo Method

I've used TST treatment from Walmart for years with great success. Then I heard about the GEO method (google it). We had six people for a week with no issues in our Roo 21 SS. Geo is cheaper, and works very well.

I often camp where there is no dump station, or water. I have a 30 gallon fresh tank in my truck and a 40 gallon grey tank. I have an extra Shurflow pump that I use to pump grey water into my truck. Grey water is fine for watering plants, but not near water. I contains what we call Biological Oxygen Demand BOD, and it will use up the oxygen in the water (bad for fish) and grow algae. Dumping it in a campground could be a probelm, but I run mine through the fine screen on the Shurflo pump, so there are no solids to speak of. For those of you with septic tanks, that is one purpose of the tank (to remove solids). The overflow runs into the leach field to water the plants.

We camped near Yellowstone in Montana last week, and they had hose hookups to a plant watering drip systems at each site. The grease and food particles could attract bears, so we don't dump at our site.

When I worked for the Forest Service, we once got an EPA permit to spray sewage over a wide area. Plants just think it is ferilizer, and a long as it isn't close to a lake or stream, and humans aren't exposed to it, it doesn't cause a problem.

2009 Roo 21ss + 2007 Superduty 6.0
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #32
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Would be nice if there was a way to dump gray into black in cases like this , lol. I think I'll do as stated above by a few , use bathroom with lairs of water and chemicals and use the bath house. Thanks for the tips .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is. I use one of these:

Twist On Waste Valve, Boxed - |

Install valve on sewage outlet, open gray valve, open black valve and let tanks equalize, close black valve, close gray valve. Done

latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #33
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
tell everyone they are responsible for emptying their own shower water from the grey tank into a bucket then hauling it to the bathouse for disposal. I bet either they'll pass on showers, take alot fewer of them or use the campground showers.

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk
right on !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #34
We use a five gallon Coleman shower bladder with an attached spray hose, lay it on the picnic table or a portable table to catch the sun. Add a plastic basin, liquid soap dispenser, and a towel, and that is our outside handwashing and dishwashing station.

The preschool grandkids love to use it for some reason - everybody always has clean hands -and the water is nice and warm by supper time. So warm, that it can be the clean up station for the night for the kiddies in place of a bath for face, feet, and teeth cleaning.

Really cuts down on the running in and out of the TT door, too. Seems to help with conserving the tank.

The kitchen sink has a matching plastic basin. The water gets dumped in a waste water bin or the black tank if not offered at the campsite.

That saves about ten -fifteen gallons right there and adds another day.

Not running the bathroom exhaust fan when flushing helps eliminate black tank odor, at least for us.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #35
I made a shower much like that,,, a black 5 gallon bucket with a shower head near the bottom,,, hung it in a tree in the North woods,,, filled it with river water and used it for my shower several years !!! Later I did get one of those Coleman bags,,, because it heated the water up much quicker !!!
We had a Flagstaff TT that had a very nice shower for about 8 years,,, never used it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #36
We are new to camping in an RV also. We have 2 adults and 4 kids.

All of our outing this year have full hook-ups except this weekend for July 4th.

I went an purchased a tote from RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies Priced Low

A lot cheaper than CW. I was extremely happy - went with the 27 gallon version.
2016 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH
2013 Silverado 2500 HD - 6.0 Vortec / 3.73
Days Camped 2016 - 12
Days Planned - 12

Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #37
When I was a kid many(50+)years ago, when we went camping, sewer hookups were not even a thought in campgrounds. My parents would place a rubber/plastic type pan outside with water in it for us to wash our hands before eating outside on the picnic table. We had to go to the "bath house" for #2 and took our own paper with us in a shaving kit bag. People would think I was going to the bath house to shave as a 5 year old! We took showers every day(sometimes twice a day) because us kids were always running around and getting dirty and sweaty. Flip flops(I now use Crocs) were always used when standing in the showers to help protect us from whatever fungi was growing in the showers. Of course, bath houses have changed some over the years, some are occasionally air conditioned/heated. Some are cleaned regularly, some are not. Some people respect others that will be coming behind them to take a shower and clean up the area before leaving. Some will not. I've seen signs on the door saying "Please don't bring bicycles into the showers", I can only imagine... I've stood in ankle deep water because the shower drain, didn't.

Something to think about in regards to the toters; if it is a 15-20 gallon model or bigger; keep in mind how much is this thing going to weigh when it gets full. Will you be able to move it/roll it to the truck? Make a clear pathway before you fill it.

Now with just the 2 of us, a 7 night stay, the black tank gets dumped when we leave. The gray tank gets dumped after 2 days of showers. And that is Navy showers too. We might be able to make 3 days but that would be the max.

Another thing to consider if you are not on a FHU site; when turning the shower/sink hot water faucet on, the water isn't hot for a few seconds, catch that water in a bucket/pitcher/etc and use it for flushing the toilet, washing hands, etc.

But I guess the OP also asked about odors, we always use the chemicals in the black and gray tanks.
2012 Flagstaff V Lite 30 WRLTS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Mag Hemi 3.72 Rearaxle
Nights camped 2015 = 23
Nights camped 2016 = 12!
Bamaganza '16 site A25 Maybe
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #38
Our sensors have never worked properly, even when new. Are there ways to tell when you are close to full?

2014 Wildwood x-lite 185br
towed by 2013 Ram 1500
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #39
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by laurarice26 View Post
Our sensors have never worked properly, even when new. Are there ways to tell when you are close to full?

2014 Wildwood x-lite 185br
towed by 2013 Ram 1500
Shine a light down the toilet hole for black and do the same down the shower drain.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 AM   #40
After reading all of the posts, I have a few thoughts. Some echo previous posts.

If the ball valve and vent on your black tank are working properly there shouldn't be a smell. If you are running the bathroom exhaust fan when flushing the toilet it can draw odors from the tank, but those are soon dissipated if you leave the fan running.

We don't use them. For years we've used The Geo Method with great success. It kept the black and grey tank sensors in our previous travel trailer working during the eight years we owned it and although the sensors were not reliable on our 2012 Rockwood when we bought it this spring, they are now. We keep a pre-mix of Sunlight laundry crystals and Calgon powder and always carry some in the trailer. A dose before leaving, the drive home to slosh around, and a proper flush with lots of water when we get home.

I really like the tip for catching cold shower water in a bucket until it warms up! If you have an Aquatainer or a fresh water jerry can you could even dump it back into the fresh water tank!

Restcure (formerly JD and Beastlet)
2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 SC EB LB max tow 3.73s
John, Dawn, daughter Emily and Bella the camping kitty

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote