Old 06-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Couldn't get a full hook up , looking for tips on toilet use

So the only full hook ups have no shade so I booked at a water and electric only site and am planning to just use public shower and toilet. Part of me says just use public shower but use the trailer toilet but if I do , what is the best way to do this so keeping smells down since it is hot summer? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

How long a stay? Tank Chemicals, like available at Walmar,t for holding tanks work well.

2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

3 nights

Old 06-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Peace of cake. As long as you use chemicals. We do a lot of camping without full hook ups. Use my trailer as it was intended to be use. Showers and all. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

What about showers ? I only have 30 gallons I think. Well easily fill that since there's 5 of us. I shouldn't ask this cause I'm sure I know the answer but since I'm new to tt with bathroom I will ask, would it be completely rude to drain gray tank at site since the water is pretty ?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Ive never even come close to filling my black tank and we camp with 5-6 people using the toilet over 3-4 nights. I have a 40 gl black tank. Just add the chemical to it and you are good.

Quick question though, how do you usually handle the black tank at full hook up sites? How often do you dump it? How full is it when you dump?

As for the gray tank, don't be that guy that dumps it in the site. Either pull up chocks and take the TT to the dump station or get a tote for the gray water tank.
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

I had a pop up up and just got a tt with bathroom so have little experience with restroom. I did take it out on Memorial Day and used the toilet with no sewer hook up but while laying down with windows open and feeling the breeze I had a faint smell of sewer a few times. This is why I started this thread. I did use powder chemicals and will just add more on my next trip.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team

For three nights, using the toilet should be little different than having a full hook up. If liquid flushes are kept to a minimum, you should be OK for 3 days on the black tank with some chemicals ( Happy Camper). You should be keeping the black tank dump closed until almost full at full hookups anyway. As for the grey tank, those family members that need long hot showers should use the bath house. A few navy showers should be fine in the grey tank. Please do not dump your grey tank on site. Although the water will percolate into the ground, food particles and grease and any other solids will not. These get raunchy quickly in the heat. You certainly wouldn't want to pull into a site with a greasy fly covered mess right next to it. If you anticipate this situation occurring regularly, you may want to invest in a portable tote that you can use to drain the b&G tanks and take to the dump station. You can also use a covered bucket ( home depot/Lowes) to dump dish water and then empty at the park wash station or bathroom.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I had a pop up up and just got a tt with bathroom so have little experience with restroom. I did take it out on Memorial Day and used the toilet with no sewer hook up but while laying down with windows open and feeling the breeze I had a faint smell of sewer a few times. This is why I started this thread. I did use powder chemicals and will just add more on my next trip.

That is interesting, with the black tank valve closed and the ball valve on the toilet sealed you shouldn't be getting a wiff of anything coming from your TT. Unless it is coming off of the venting outside and then being blown in through a window.

I was just making sure you hadnt camped with full hook ups and left the dump valve open for the black tank, this is a huge no no.

What I do is i use the powder TST or the "blue goo". I add 3-5 gallons of water down the bowl when adding chemicals. This dilutes the chemical and creates a "water trap" so when solids go in there is water to "encase" it. Doing this I have never had a problem with smells.
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

We always seem to have plenty of black tank but push the limits on gray. So we started using a tub to wash dishes/hands and dump tub in black tank. We were surprised at how well that works for us. Black tanks can always use extra water anyways. But totes from Barker or Thetford can really extend your trip.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote