Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Rodney & Patty

Smile Custom mattress for exact replacement

Posting on a few of the old mattress topics because I think it's worth sharing as well as starting a thread here in the tips and tricks area.

We have suffered with our original mattress in our 15 Salem Hemisphere 5er for longer than we should have. We hated the idea of spending too much on a mattress that we only sleep on 30-40 nights year and Lord knows that the Camping World prices are scary for good bedding. Even with the $200 topper ours is still terrible for more than a night or two. We decided today to hit up the local mattress stores to see what we could muster. Most of which only had the standard residential sizes available but when we stopped at Imex furniture (New Hartford, NY 315-738-7976) they are an Eclipse Mattress dealer - made in America, NJ plant serves our area. The sales manager, Paul knew that they had nothing but standard sizes and would have nothing that would perfectly replace our Olympic Queen (66x80) so he called the factory directly to see if they could custom make us a mattress. We picked the pocketed innerspring, plush, that we liked from the floor displays and they are custom making us a one of a kind. I was almost afraid to ask the price but it is the same price as the next standard size up - in our case a king.

We have went down the road of buying a mail order, rolled up foam mattress and have no desire to go down that path again. I am very heat sensitive and since we camp in warmer weather, I feel like I am melting and am unable to sleep on memory foam. Can't wait for our mattress to come in - it's about a 2 week wait being a special order.

I know I am not the only one looking for short or narrow RV mattresses so I figured I would share what I found.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Great post rdenslow, most RV mattresses are terrible, I think sometimes concrete is softer. We replaced ours immediately, prior to taking the 5'er out a few weeks back. We bought one off Craigslist, from a former co-worker. It had never been used, was still in the original wrapping.

It works great for me but the wife had to put down an egg-crate pad. Normally it's me that has the bedding issue, with a back and neck injury and that is another story.

With my issue of finding a mattress, I will only buy a mattress that has a minimum of a 30 day trial, with money back if not satisfied. There's no way to test drive a mattress prior to buying, that's the reason for my requirements. I have gone into a mattress store and taken a 1 to 2 hour nap on their beds.

Tell us how you like your new mattress when you get it.

JR
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenslow View Post
Posting on a few of the old mattress topics because I think it's worth sharing as well as starting a thread here in the tips and tricks area.

We have suffered with our original mattress in our 15 Salem Hemisphere 5er for longer than we should have. We hated the idea of spending too much on a mattress that we only sleep on 30-40 nights year and Lord knows that the Camping World prices are scary for good bedding. Even with the $200 topper ours is still terrible for more than a night or two. We decided today to hit up the local mattress stores to see what we could muster. Most of which only had the standard residential sizes available but when we stopped at Imex furniture (New Hartford, NY 315-738-7976) they are an Eclipse Mattress dealer - made in America, NJ plant serves our area. The sales manager, Paul knew that they had nothing but standard sizes and would have nothing that would perfectly replace our Olympic Queen (66x80) so he called the factory directly to see if they could custom make us a mattress. We picked the pocketed innerspring, plush, that we liked from the floor displays and they are custom making us a one of a kind. I was almost afraid to ask the price but it is the same price as the next standard size up - in our case a king.

We have went down the road of buying a mail order, rolled up foam mattress and have no desire to go down that path again. I am very heat sensitive and since we camp in warmer weather, I feel like I am melting and am unable to sleep on memory foam. Can't wait for our mattress to come in - it's about a 2 week wait being a special order.

I know I am not the only one looking for short or narrow RV mattresses so I figured I would share what I found.
Verlo mattress is another option for custom sizes. Adjustable Mattress for a Lifetime | Verlo Mattress .

I don't have a Verlo mattress. One of their managers was at my house to repair an adjustable bed frame and saw my RV. He said he can make a custom mattress for any RV.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement