Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

DC Heater for Storage Area

I have a 2109S Mini-Lite 2012 model. I am concerned about possible unexpected low temps freezing water pump, lines and filter in the storage area while traveling or camping. Would the "Back Seat" heater sold by E-Trailer do the job? Any other suggestions?

I am planing on traveling across country starting May 11th for 11 or 12 weeks going South starting in TX and zig-zaging to most states going up the CA coast and back to MD. Thanks PS: If all goes well that will leave the States on my side of the Mississippi for another time.
BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

DC heaters suck a LOT of electricity so if you're hooked up to a tow vehicle it would most likely be okay. BUT camping would be tough.

I can't imagine going through the southern states would actually give you cold enough temps to actually freeze anything in the storage areas. Maybe in the water lines that are exposed underneath, but again, it would have to be in the 20's in order to give you worry.

If you're really worried about it freezing, I'd just get an air adapter for your water lines and blow air through them. That way you wouldn't have to flush anti-freeze out later.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Team

300 watts at 12 volts draws 25 amps. That's a lot of juice to pull out of a battery if you're not hooked to shore power. The umbilical won't handle that much power so you'll be depleting the onboard batteries whenever it's actually heating.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

DC Heater for Storage Area

Thanks for the ideas, I have two marine batts hooked up in the TT and a 140 amp alternator in my 2015 Highlander TV for traveling and of course would be connected to shore power in CG. I did not think of just blowing air to clear the lines, good idea but would require the added weight of my compressor. I got caught one time in Maine in a class A on an Oct. trip in an unexpected Ice storm with temps that dropped to around 28 deg.. As all lines were inside I did not have a problem but in the TT I would expect there would be problems.
BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Here is an idea for you. A 100 Watt light bulb on an extension cord with a socket adapter. Hang it in the WP area and plug in the extension.

It would not work while towing of course, but when you stop it will provide enough heat to keep the pipes and pump in that area from freezing.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
JGB

It would be unusual to have freezing weather in TX in May, possibly in the northern panhandle, but elsewhere I would not worry about freezing.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoB View Post
I have a 2109S Mini-Lite 2012 model. I am concerned about possible unexpected low temps freezing water pump, lines and filter in the storage area while traveling or camping. Would the "Back Seat" heater sold by E-Trailer do the job? Any other suggestions?

I am planing on traveling across country starting May 11th for 11 or 12 weeks going South starting in TX and zig-zaging to most states going up the CA coast and back to MD. Thanks PS: If all goes well that will leave the States on my side of the Mississippi for another time.
How much freezing weather do you expect to encounter in the South beginning in the middle of May?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
D W

I think you're overthinking the situation. There's a world of difference between Maine in October and where you're headed in May, June & July. I've been in Yellowstone on the Continental Divide at the end of June. Although there was still residual ice around the shoreline, the daytime temp was around 55 and never got below 43 at night. With the route you specified I think you'll soon switch thoughts from freezing to ways to keep cool.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #9

heater in storage

I have a 2109S mini-lite 2019 and I put together a pull chain light with bulb on a short cord and placed in the storage near the water heater, water filter, plumbing lines,- I unplugged the water heater and plugged it in there and when I need a little heat I just turn it on.
Every choice is an opportunity to say yes to God.
221fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Here is an idea for you. A 100 Watt light bulb on an extension cord with a socket adapter. Hang it in the WP area and plug in the extension.

It would not work while towing of course, but when you stop it will provide enough heat to keep the pipes and pump in that area from freezing.
I do this very easy fix as well. Make sure the access hole is also plugged. We have had temperatures in the 20’s and my water compartment bay has stayed above freezing.
RonGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #11

I would think it would be easier to live off jugs of water for drinking/cooking and doing bathing in a campground without even hooking up to water in ANY area where you think you may have pipes to freeze. As far as black tank or grey tank freezing, why would you not dump it after every opportunity?

If you absolutely must shower and crap in your own toilet, then flush with a bucket of water and hook up a 12 V pump and a bucket of water and a hand-held shower wand.

You then do not have to worry about it at all...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

The easiest solution is to cut a hole from the cabin into the storage bay and install a 12v muffin fan to blow the warmer air into the storage bay. These muffin fans draw very little current and you can turn it off when not needed.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGilbert View Post
I do this very easy fix as well. Make sure the access hole is also plugged. We have had temperatures in the 20’s and my water compartment bay has stayed above freezing.
This works well. Make sure you use a rough service incandescent bulb.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, storage