Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #21

The battery, box, strap, and power cord should come standard. I got a starter kit that included a 30 to 15 amp adapter, sewer hose (only use it as a lat resort, get a good one), 25' fresh water hose, a roll of toilet paper, a few packs of black water tank freshener, filled the propane tanks, and 10% off of accessories (be careful, most accessories are overpriced at dealerships). I had them add a second battery, box, strap, and cut off switch. I tried to talk them into filling the 30 gallon gas tank (toy hauler), they said they would as long as I wanted water in it. Shop around, I saved $4,000 by going to Ohio from Michigan. Only a 2 hour ride. The dealers here wouldn't drop their price and wanted to charge destination and set up fees, and the hoses were extra.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I didn't get many extras and I guess my final price was the reason.
I searched 6 states and couldn't find the unit I wanted .
5k more was the cheapist I could find
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top B
The battery, box, strap, and power cord should come standard. I got a starter kit that included a 30 to 15 amp adapter, sewer hose (only use it as a lat resort, get a good one), 25' fresh water hose, a roll of toilet paper, a few packs of black water tank freshener, filled the propane tanks, and 10% off of accessories (be careful, most accessories are overpriced at dealerships). I had them add a second battery, box, strap, and cut off switch. I tried to talk them into filling the 30 gallon gas tank (toy hauler), they said they would as long as I wanted water in it. Shop around, I saved $4,000 by going to Ohio from Michigan. Only a 2 hour ride. The dealers here wouldn't drop their price and wanted to charge destination and set up fees, and the hoses were extra.
we had the same problem with the dealers here in flint saginaw area but phillips in mt morris don't charge any of the extra bs and they took 6k off the price.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #24

Most TT's cannot be safely towed without a battery, as the battery supplies the TT brakes in the event of a break-away activation. For the dealr to say that he's "throwing that in", is the same as a car dealer saying that he's throwing the battery of the new car in as a free-bee.....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #25

I got nothing..... reason why I got nothing:

Sold my Pop Up privately (they make a killing on resales) Sold my 99 Sea Pine for 3600 bucks... bought it for 2400

I bought a 2009 Rockwood Roo 17 for 8100 bucks out the door, used two times and traded in.

They had it listed for 12,999..... I emailed a low ball bid of 7200 and we settled on 8100 out the door.

I did not need a hitch, had one waiting, it had sewer hose, water hose, coax, two extra water filters.

The only thing I had them throw in was Dealer Prep.....

Then I bought a Fantastic Fan Cover so I can run it rain or shine..... for 26 bucks..... they installed it for free.

So I was pretty pleased.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Most TT's cannot be safely towed without a battery, as the battery supplies the TT brakes in the event of a break-away activation. For the dealr to say that he's "throwing that in", is the same as a car dealer saying that he's throwing the battery of the new car in as a free-bee.....
So you got me wondering ???????

How you suppose they tow it from the factory "legally" without said battery ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
Submarines once..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
So you got me wondering ???????

How you suppose they tow it from the factory "legally" without said battery ?
Ours came in on a flatbed with two other campers so it was not actually towed.
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
I haven't made an offer, or really talked price, on a camper that we are looking at, but the sales guy was telling me what they throw in: Battery, battery box, sewer hose. I was wondering are these standard and he's just making it look like they're doing me a favor by throwing these items in or are they actually good "throw in's"? What are some other items that are good to get the dealer to add before you buy?
cdbus,
Here are my thoughts to your question on what they said they would supply you...
Battery - they will give you the cheapest smallest group 24 12-volt they have. If you plan to camp for more than one night without electrical hookups on a regular basis, I would suggest at least a group 27 or group 31.

Battery box - Cost is $10 but they do install for you.

Sewer hose - Cost is $10 with the one they give you. See if you can get them to give you a Rhino.
I've only bought new one time; last spring. Besides the normal cheap stinky slinky and a bottle of black tank stuff, my dealer sold me two Trojan 145 batteries for the price of two T-105s (savings of $90).

I didn't care to try for more. I spent all my energy on negotiating the best price I could on the trailer. That's where the real savings comes in. Since you haven't talked price yet, just ignore the "noise" about free stuff and talk him down on the actual trailer.

Good luck!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Since you haven't talked price yet, just ignore the "noise" about free stuff and talk him down on the actual trailer.

Good luck!
And for God Sake read that thread!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #30

for 15899 we got a 2012 Salem TT 27Rear Kitchen single slide. both 30 lb tanks filled, battery and box, starter kit included sewer hose one fresh water hose etc... Didn't get any extras but then again for that price I didn't expect many extras to be thrown in anyway.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #31

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Ask them to pay for the 2nd year extended warranty ($150). Some have got it. It's worth a try. All the rest is pretty standard. You can't take the trailer off the lot without a battery for the brakes. I got them to do a dual battery setup.
Are you sure of this? I had always thought that the brakes were operated from the tow vehicle battery.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Are you sure of this? I had always thought that the brakes were operated from the tow vehicle battery.

Joel
Joel,

You are thinking about the brake controller. That uses power from the truck's electrical system to apply the camper's brakes when you put the brake on in the truck.

The break away switch uses the camper's house battery to apply the brakes in an emergency if it ever "unhitches" itself and "breaks away." The cable pulls the pin on the break away switch and applies full voltage to the camper's brakes; stopping it before it can careen all over the highway.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
we had the same problem with the dealers here in flint saginaw area but phillips in mt morris don't charge any of the extra bs and they took 6k off the price.
There were only a few FR dealers in MI that carried the toy hauler I needed (trike and full dresser, 27WP was the only model that works) and they wouldn't deal. The guy in Houghton Lake wanted $19,999 for the trailer, $750 prep, another $750 destination fee, plus tax, title and license fees. No starter kit or anything. Grand Rapids dealer was cheaper, but the dealer in Findlay, OH was way cheaper - $16,780, $315 documentation fee (included title and plate), plus tax. BTW, I live in the Saginaw area.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #34
Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top B

There were only a few FR dealers in MI that carried the toy hauler I needed (trike and full dresser, 27WP was the only model that works) and they wouldn't deal. The guy in Houghton Lake wanted $19,999 for the trailer, $750 prep, another $750 destination fee, plus tax, title and license fees. No starter kit or anything. Grand Rapids dealer was cheaper, but the dealer in Findlay, OH was way cheaper - $16,780, $315 documentation fee (included title and plate), plus tax. BTW, I live in the Saginaw area.
So you shopped the same dealers we did. Glad you found a dealer willing to work with ya and I'm in genesee just ne of flint and I recently sold a full dresser.

Tags
led pad