Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #1

Dehumidifiers

Looking for a recommendation on a good dehumidifier for the TT that will run off of ac current. Anyone who lives in the south knows how humid it can get. We seem to be replacing the disposables way to often. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Head Rambler

We had a lot of condensation last weekend, so I'm interested in this also.

If you find a good one let us know.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Site Team

I used one of the pelletier type in my last trailer. It will remove humidity, but not at a rate that you need. Maybe only 1/2 to a cup a day. I currently use a small 13 pint compressor type in my TT. I enabled the permanent drain function and connected a small ( 1/2" clear tubing with hose water hose connection) and ran it through the shower pedestal and then through the coroplast bottom. I don't keep trailer plugged in at home due to the number of severe storms so I added a separate 120V line ( the same route I used for the drain) just to run the dehumidifier. Works great even during humid Aug nights humidity stays low. If you have humidity issues when using the RV, try opening the vents a crack and keeping the air circulating. Be sure to open a vent or range hood when cooking, showering or washing dishes.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Did a search online, read reviews and picked the highes rated one I could find. Has worked perfectly for the last five winters. Places like Compact Appliancez offer great service and a large selection.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Great news for people in central Florida. We finally bought a dehumidifier a few months ago and since then have had no reason to use it because of low humidity. We expect this low humidity to continue for as long as we own it. As soon as it goes out of warranty and breaks down (even though it hasn't been used) the humidity levels will skyrocket once more. So until then you can thank us for the relief from the usual humidity!
It is a 30 pint unit from Danby. Bought it on Amazon.
I tested it out and it seems to work okay. When we were running the a/c unit to keep humidity down it would fill a 5 gal bucket in about a week. That's why I got the 30 pint unit.
My plan is to run a tube to the shower drain and open the grey tank drain to the outside. I will have to run a hose to the outside of the garage also.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
My plan is to run a tube to the shower drain and open the grey tank drain to the outside. I will have to run a hose to the outside of the garage also.
Check this after a few days. I did this initially and mechanically worked well but low cost dehumidifiers do not use highest quality materials and there was some rust in the condensate that stained the shower floor. Cleaned floor then ran the drain hose directly thru floor and coroplast bottom.

Bob

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

EVA DRY has some small units that work fine. I bought the smallest unit but now wish I had the bigger one.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
EVA DRY has some small units that work fine. I bought the smallest unit but now wish I had the bigger one.
X 2 plus we use Damp-Rid (Lowes) that comes in a box but we found that pouring the continence into a 99cent plastic container works a lot better and does a good job plus when we travel we just put a lid on it and store away till we set up again. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
I bought the larger Eva-Dry. Wasnt significantly more expensive. Low current draw, low weight(which is always a factor) larger capacity and no noise. I can see that it does remove moisture. Have a humidity gauge now, so this year I will know what it does by the numbers. One of my big hopes is that it will improve the efficiency of the 13.5K Btu AC

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote