Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Dexter E-Z Lube system

I have a 2017 Mini-lite 2509 and have put on approximately 5000 since purchased in 2017. I want to use the E-Z Lube system but have read that it is really not the best thing to do because you do not know if the bearings are in good condition without taking them out and inspecting them. Am I better off taking the trailer to my dealership (have been with them for over 20 years) and have them inspect and repack? I know it will cost more but the bearings are such a vital part of the trailer.

Aucoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

Maybe. It really depends on the level of experience you have with such things.

The EZ Lube axle isn't some diabolical device that will necessarily ruin your life, your marriage, and your religion. There are plenty of people who use it with good success.

The front bearing will come out and you will have a chance to inspect and pack that yourself.

The rear bearing can come out; you're not necessarily limited to not servicing the rear bearings.. You'll need a punch to get it out. You'll also need to be comfortable reusing the seal or you'll have to buy a new seal.

I never bothered with that. I used the EZ Lube system to "repack" my rear bearing and used the gross assumption that the rear bearings would have worn similarly to the fronts ... i.e., if the front bearing looked brand new, then the rears probably aren't in disrepair.

So, you have at least those three options: DIY and use EZ Lube to repack the rear, DIY and you remove and repack the rear manually, or take it to a dealership and pay them to do it (and trust that they do, in fact, remove the rear and replace the seal).

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Dexter has a video on this just Google it. I watched video and completed just as the video did. Not a problem. Your trailer is only a year old so it should not be too bad.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

I just had mine done at the dealer. $200.00
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
StlClay

To keep any kind of warranty valid (either manufacturer or extended), if you read the fine print. You have to have the bearings repacked and serviced each year. Since my dealer also checks tires and brakes, in my opinion, it is money well spent for peace of mind while running down the Interstates

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

Have used the EZ lube for six years with no problems. I use a temperature meter every time I stop and haven't seen any rises in temp. Its a lot easier than pulling and replacing seals and greasing my hands.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

The EZ lube works fine until you blow the rear seal out and coat your brakes. Yes it happens...not to everyone. It's so easy to pull a wheel and pack bearings manually, why even take a chance.

BTW, you need to be pulling your wheels occasionally anyway to check your brakes and magnet. Repack the bearings then.

Buy one of these and it make bearing packing easy.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-34550...+grease+packer

Also, you don't use a punch to remove a grease seal and rear bearing. You use one of these and you always replace the grease seal after you remove it.
https://smile.amazon.com/Puller-Remo...70_&dpSrc=srch
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Here's my story. I remove drums, repack and check bearings 1 time a year. Several years ago I found the outer bearing on one axle had spall marks in the cone. Another axle had spall marks on the inner cone and cup.

Three years ago the tab that holds the magnet in place had broken, magnet in drum, brake shoes damaged and drum deeply scoreded. Replaced the entire assembly.

Three months ago I did my usual inspection and found that the tab that is bent at a right angle to hold the magnet in place had broken off, magnet at the bottom of the drum, tore the wires away and this led to not having brakes on one axle. Replaced the entire assembly.

I have a nice Craftsman AC/DC clamp on meter that I use to check the wiring continuity and verifying that each brake receives 3 amps per wheel.

Remove, inspect, clean and repack yearly for me.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Unless you have a boat trailer that is getting "dunked" regularly trailer wheel bearings are a low failure item. Often they fail due to too much attention. The owners don't know how to properly adjust them after re-packing them and either make them too tight or leave them too loose.

The biggest issue is the brakes. Failure to inspect them at regular intervals can lead to metal to metal contact and the price of a routing brake job suddenly climbs.

When properly greasing the axle using the E-Z Lube system one is rotating the wheel while slowly adding grease. Bad bearings are prone to announcing themselves at this time as you hear/feel them grind or bounce over the rough spots.

Want an easy way to remove the seal and rear bearing cone? Remove the nut, washer, and front bearing cone. Replace the nut on the spindle and run it in until flush with the front of the spindle while hub/drum is still in place. Grasp drum and pull off spindle. As it drops down the inner surface of the rear bearing cone will hang up on the nut. Push drum back and then jerk the drum off the spindle. Nine times out of ten the rear bearing and seal will be sitting on the end of the spindle when the drum is completely clear.

To replace the seal without damaging it it's best to use a properly sized seal driver rather than just beating it in place with a hammer, chasing it around the hub trying to get it started in place.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #10

For reference...

EZ-Lube axle tear-down for bearing job

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote