Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
Having lived in California for nearly all my life, we've learned to always make reservations.
And most of those were 4-6 months in advance.

We're finding that camping in Washington isn't much different.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
For the past few years we've been doing extended trips. We make reservations for the places we really want to see. This year we're headed to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone so we made reservations there, not sure where we're going after that. Like Maron said we call ahead a few days in advance when we know where we're headed.
We usually plan for "free" overnight parking if we're not planning on staying. I use Overnight RV Parking to find places to stay.
Anything in Southern Calif we definitely make reservations.

Donna and Bob (retired USAF),
fur babies Casey (mix), Lucy and Loki (standard poodles)

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
I'm a planner myself; I make camping reservations at least 4-6 months in advance...more for weekends that tend to book up; holiday weekends I book for the next year when I check out of the campsite, since we go to the same campsite every year for holiday weekends (safer). For even road trips using hotels I book 2-3 months in advance. Low risk tolerance, I guess.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
We did a 3 month, 13K mile loop around the country last year in May, June, and July. I used the Allstays app to choose campgrounds along the route well in advance, but didn't make reservations. The only reservations we made were at major sites (e.g., Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.) when we knew we would be there over a weekend or holiday. The only place we couldn't find a full hookup was Grand Tetons NP. The other consideration though is the size of your rig and amenities needed. At the time, we had a small travel trailer and likely had better luck than we would with the motor home we have now. Maybe we were lucky, but I wanted the flexibility to change routes or stays anytime and we had no issues. Good luck and have fun. We had a blast!!!
FroggyRon (Ron)
2014 Forest River Georgetown XL 377
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 toad
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
cogito ergo moo
Most non-commercial campgrounds (State park, CoE) will be full on the weekends during the summer. Especially if you are near a big attraction. Commercial (KoA) could be hit or miss. Bearing in mind that I am speaking of electric or full hook-up sites. Non-electric sites are usually open enough to allow walk-ups just about any time.

During the week, it should be easy to find a spot just about anywhere except hyper-popular spots (Yellowstone)

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss (coming soon)
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
I always make my reservations, if possible It is disturbing to travel all day and then when arriving, discover that the campground is full and I have to strat looking for a place to stay.
2002 Rockwood Freedom 2318G
2004 Ford F 150 5.4 liter
3 Chihuahuas Sammy, Delilah,Gypsy
nineoaks2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
If I'm going somewhere popular (like national parks in the summer time) I make reservations, otherwise I just take my chances.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
The worst mistake we ever made was not having a reservation as we drove east from Chicago to NYC and needed to spend the night on 90 near Lake Erie. We ended up driving for 18 hours and sleeping in the car (with the 2 kids) at a rest stop already full of other unfortunates. I think we actually got the last available spot. It was the tail end of a month long cross country trip, and the only area where we hadn't done our homework. If you watch for the tourist areas, like others have said, you should be able to play it by ear elsewhere.
2008 Forest River/Flagstaff M-205 Mac
2006 Toyota Sequoia
OutOfTheTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
We plan our stops well ahead of time and make reservations, in the event something happens we can and have stopped at rest areas overnight.

This one is just outside of Rawlings, WY. stopped here because the wind was blowing hard and I was tired.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Ford: That wouldn't happen to have been a week ago(06/21) this past Sunday would it? We were traveling from Yellowstone and spending the night in Rawlns. The wind was howling and the camper rocking. Wind advisories were out for small trailers and campers on I80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins that day. We spent the night at Western Hills RV Park and were glad we did not have to travel any further.

Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
We plan our stops well ahead of time and make reservations, in the event something happens we can and have stopped at rest areas overnight.

This one is just outside of Rawlings, WY. stopped here because the wind was blowing hard and I was tired.

2014 Rockwood 2618W Windjammer
2014 F150 XLT S-Crew 4x4, 3.5L EB, 6.5' Box, Maxtow, 36g tank

SpaCityBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote