Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
Ford: That wouldn't happen to have been a week ago(06/21) this past Sunday would it? We were traveling from Yellowstone and spending the night in Rawlns. The wind was howling and the camper rocking. Wind advisories were out for small trailers and campers on I80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins that day. We spent the night at Western Hills RV Park and were glad we did not have to travel any further.
No, it was a year ago last week....

We were on our way to Rapid City, SD. in no real hurry.

It was much calmer the next morning so we booked on out of there, got to Rapid City and it was raining....

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #22
We try to plan our summer trips around the first of the year . We make our reservations and than there are no worries about where to stay .

2013 Silverado extended cab 4x4 1500 Series
camping baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
We plan a head. But, depends on the time of year we're traveling and where you want to go. Just about all major parks require require reservations in advance during the high season. I had to book the Grand Canyon 9 mos. in advance and plan accordingly. If your boon docking you can pretty much go whenever. We went east coast to west coast and back again a year ago( May thru July) made reservations all along the route at least 3 weeks in advance just to ensure a site. If your following major routes the pickings can get mighty slim when your looking for a site during prime vacation time. Back roads you can usually find more. We opt to travel during non prime time. Also, if your looking to fly south for the winter, start at least 6 months ahead if you want a good site.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #24
Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We plan everything. This is our first long trip to Ontario and around lake Michigan. We will be gone over three weeks. We expect to know after this trip more about being gone for a few weeks because this is our first year and we have resverations for next winter in Florida. I made a reservation for every park and for lodging between parks because I usually drive no more than 250 miles a day. That's nine reservations. Could we just trust to luck on the overnight stops? Sure we could. Neither of us would be very nervous, I think, but this way works for us. Do what you think is best, and I like your comment about reserving for holidays or high traffic areas.
Dan and Deb

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #25

We have planned a 2 month long trip to Bar Harbor (from Tennessee) leaving on September 8 of this year. We finalized plans for this trip, making all reservations, rites, what we wanted to see/do while we were on this trip. Because of the area we are traveling to and the time of the year - you betcha we made our reservations, paid our deposits, and have all our confirmation numbers in hand. Before we made these reservations - there are three motorhomes going - we all sat down and said where we'd like to go and what we'd like to see. That determined how long we'd be in any particular area and we made reservations accordingly. And, to top it all off, you'd be surprised to find how many campgrounds 'way up North are only open from Memorial Day weekend until October 1st because of the possibilities of freezing weather and snow (this is what we were told).

And you can bet we make reservations well in advance when we want to go to Florida in January or February - sometimes you're able to find reasonable and good campgrounds - sometimes you're not.

I am a very firm believer in reservations - I don't like disappointments.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
AbdRahim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #27
Very seldom. Just an hour ahead!!

CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #28
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
We plan all ou trips and make reservation for the who year. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We Travel (Spring/Fall) never need Res! Summer trips you better call starting (Opening Day/Jan1st?)! We could Never enjoy a Trip if we had (Deadlines to Meet)! There is a LOT to See in the USA! Youroo!!
If I'm going for a weekend stay call ahead early enough. Off season and week days never seems to be a problem. (Oh sometimes during local special events).
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #30
If it is a tourist destination like Myrtle Beach the campground where we go most of the 850 sites were booked by the first of the year for the summer months, the end of October is probably also booked.

Our local campground I just call a couple days ahead to make sure they have space & they don't always. But they only have 125 sites.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote