Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #31
You know, we all used to just go anywhere we wanted and always found a CG with openings. But, consider the number of RV's that have been sold and the number of baby boomers retiring in just the past 2 years and you can figure out real quickly why there is now a real need to make reservations. There are tens of thousands of us now competing for CG spots.
We all like to travel and world events are keeping a lot of people in this country seeing the sights in this "THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD".
I make reservations.
Travel safe

2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #32
I guess it's good to be boss.DW is retired and i own my own business.Trying to retire.I could if she would quit buying new campers.LOLAny way,Our first long trip after she retired we made reservations for the whole trip.Never again.Too ridged for us.Had to drive too long and missed a few "photo opps". Now we take our time and stop when and where we want.We will still make them for special places,but give our self plenty of time to get somewhere.

DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #33
I almost always make reservations. There are a lot more RV's on the road this year than last year. Weekend reservations are a MUST. If you want to camp at a state park, national park or CoE campground on a Saturday you will be required to book the Friday before also, that applies to summer travel. Monday-Wednesdays are probably the easiest to get w/o a reservation. A 4 month planned trip may be a difficult task but you need to make your reservations at least a month in advance and adjust as you travel. You certainly need to have a good idea where you want to be each day of the trip. I like to keep my travel day to 250 miles or less.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #34
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
We travel consistently without reservations but there is a catch. We have I phones with the Allstays app available. By mid afternoon DW starts searching 100 to 150 miles out for a good campground. That app shows you how many miles u are from the campgrounds you are reviewing. It also shows you all the info you need to take into consideration for a comfortable nights stay. Dump, full hood ups, size of sites etc., then when we decide on one she taps the phone button and we reserve a site. Works great in 10,000 miles or Rving and over 360 nights in the past year and a half.
We have been doing exactly the same if we are on an extended trip. If just going away for a weekend we will book that weekend ahead.
Orval and Yvonne
2016 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Package
2011 F150 SCrew XTR 5.0L 4x4
Canadiancrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #35
If you select a KOA you will lose $10 if you cancel a reservation with at least 48 hours notice and the entire first nights stay if you cancel with less than 48 hours notice. I was ticked because I called on Wednesday to cancel a Friday reservation and was still charged the $50.50 because I was 2 hours late calling on Wednesday.
nbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #36
Mod free 5er
We go to FL for 4+ months and have ownership in one resort which requires reservations no more than 2 months in advance. We also stay at Thousand Trails Orlando which doesn't require reservations, but we make them 3 months in advance to make sure we have a spot. We usually take from 2 days to a week to get there and don't make reservations on the way and always find campgrounds. We don't do the Walmart, Cracker Barrel, gas station, etc scene.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #37
DW does not like surprises, and I agree with her. We always make reservations in advance. OK for some, but looking for a campsite at the end of a long day of travel isn't appealing to us. Have a great trip, whichever way works for you
txkreddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #38
I make reservations. Yes, I have to plan my life up to a year in advance but, in return, I get the best camp sites. Another thing I do is always reserve 4 or more nights and stay at places where my Interagency Senior Pass is honored. If I hate it, I can cancel and leave (has only happened once) and by looking on the internet, I always find interesting places in the area to do and things to see. I'm like txkreddog's dw, I don't like surprises and, since I travel alone, do not boondock.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #39
We have done both. If you HAVE to be somewhere then yes it is best to but if you have the luxury of moving on then it isn't necessary. What we have found is that we make reservations because there are only 2 (for ex) campgrounds in an area but when we get there many signs are up they just don't advertise. If we want to go to a particular place (port st. Lucie in Jan. for example, then yes we have to make reservation. But another for ex. we went from the west side of Fl to the east and played it by ear and found a place to stay. Have a great, safe trip.
JoanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
When your winging it I find calling first thing in the morning ahead to a CG to see if they have any open sites helps. Some CGs will put your name a site without a deposit. In slower times of the year it seems the office closes early in the afternoon and try get an answer from their after hours number. By calling ahead some places have left information on a bulletin board or box with my name, site, other CG info and pay up in the morning. It's nice to know they're waiting for you.

Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote