Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #21

We too have a dog in our bed so a sleeping bag won’t work. I made what I call a “people case”. Two flat queen sheets put right sides together. Sew across the bottom and about 6” up each side. Flip inside out and you have a people case. No need to tuck in the bottom as they are sewn together and lots of room to tuck the bottom sheet under the mattress on the sides. Just fold the top sheet down and then you can put whatever blankets you want over top.

We also put the factory comforter away for sales time and use something more durable and to our taste.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #22

I use a combination of a down sleeping bag and blankets from home. I don't worry about sheets, duvet covers and comforters. Nothing ever slides off. I sleep better in my trailer than any other place.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
We too have a dog in our bed so a sleeping bag won’t work. I made what I call a “people case”. Two flat queen sheets put right sides together. Sew across the bottom and about 6” up each side. Flip inside out and you have a people case. No need to tuck in the bottom as they are sewn together and lots of room to tuck the bottom sheet under the mattress on the sides. Just fold the top sheet down and then you can put whatever blankets you want over top.

We also put the factory comforter away for sales time and use something more durable and to our taste.
Wife and I too had a dog that slept on the bed. Loved sleeping bags and would burrow down to our feet. Of course he was a Shih Tsu. Doubt it would have worked if he was a German Shepherd[emoji57][emoji57]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #24

Heck, if my sheets and blanket are not in a wad in the morning, I figure I am not spending enough time dreaming.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #25

Sheet suspenders.
https://smile.amazon.com/Fasteners-A...s%2C178&sr=8-8
One set for the mattress pad and one for the fitted sheet. This is just one illustration of many options. We use them on our PUP "mattress", because it's pathetically thin, and nothing stayed put. Plus making a PUP bed from scratch is a major league chore. Definitely get the ones that go corner-to-corner. The little ones that just snug at the corners are not up to the task.

"Fitted" top sheet. The "foot" of the top sheet has a fitted pocket similar to the fully fitted bottom sheet.
https://smile.amazon.com/EFFORTLESS-.../dp/B06XDTYQ8X
This is just an illustration. My wife found a modestly priced set at Walmart...$50 or less. They are wonderful.

Lastly, lengthen your basic blankets by adding about 12" to 15" to the foot of your "under-blankets". The extra length is for tucking under the mattress. A good quality older top sheet can be used for this so as to avoid creating a small mountain at the foot of the bed.

I'm 6'6", and way back when, my parents bought longer bed rails for my twin bed. But a longer mattress was out of the question. (We were poor.) So Dad put a sheet of plywood in place of a box spring and, at the head of the bed, he put a block of foam on top of the plywood to bring the extension up to mattress level. Mom wrapped the kluge in an old sheet, and that's where my pillows went. Then she extended the top sheet and blankets using about 2 foot strips of old sheets. I had a bed that fit, and the blankets and top sheet strayed put.

Our so-called "King" bed in our PUP is only about 75" long. As I said, I'm 78" long fully stretched out. The fitted top sheet has not failed to stay put even once in 10 trips so far this season!!
💤 😴
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #26

PS, It's a good thing that the PUP bed walls are canvas. My head and feet look like this from the outside of the camper.
Attached Images

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #27

Smile we like quickzipsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Traveler View Post
I've been looking at quickzipsheet.com

Haven't decided on them yet (expensive) but they look like a good idea. Imagine a fitted bottom sheet with deep pockets and tight elastic but with zippers on top that attach to a removable middle panel. You just remove the middle panel for laundering.

For now, we have fitted bottom sheets with deep pockets and a top sheet and a comforter. We have to wash everything often because, you got it: The Dog Sleeps With Us. He's tiny (Chihuahua) and has a ramp with cleats up to the bed and a piddle pad in the shower stall. Time was when I would have said "Ugg!" but he is so very much loved!

We struggled with fitted sheets, full size mattress fit tightly in the sleeper area. The quickzip sheets ordered from Amazon are awesome. The bottom part with strong elastic stays installed while the top is easily removed using the large zipper. They come with two tops.

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:57 AM   #28

Bed Linens

I put a fitted flannel sheet on the bottom and then our double sleeping bag on top of that. The sheet hides the naked mattress and being flannel, discourages slippage of the sleeping bag. In the morning, I fluff the pillows, straighten out the sleeping bags and zip them up and, voila, a nice neat bed in less than 2 minutes. We have a light weight sleeping bag liner that we can substitute for the top sleeping bag if we are primitive camping and it's too warm for a regular sleeping bag on top and it zips to the bottom sleeping bag just fine. I never have to worry about the top cover going anywhere it shouldn't even if the DH tries to hog the cover in his sleep; since it is zipped, it can't go far. Of course this won't help you since your DH doesn't like flannel and that is what the interior of most sleeping bags is made of but it sure works for us. When we are camping, I don't want to spend time doing domestic chores in the morning, I want to be outside.
jnbghldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #29

sheets too big

Where can I find kingsize sheets for a short bed????
hjhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawac14 View Post
We use elastic straps that clip onto the fitted sheet underneath the mattress. It has really helped us out.
We do too. [emoji106]
DHSDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #31

100% cotton jersey sheets (also called T-shirt sheets). Sticks around kind of like your flannel sheets, but cooler sleeping.

Over that - a loose-weave cotton blanket and a lightweight cotton comforter or a down blanket (down blanket is not as warm as a down comforter).
Letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #32

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Buy two sets of suspenders and separate them into four separate pieces. Attach under the mattress on the fitted bottom sheet in a tic-tac-tow pattern. Our bottom sheet doesn’t move.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #33
JGB

The king size bed in our Isata 5 is larger than a standard queen but smaller than a standard king and finding a comfortable alternative was impossible, so we had a set of custom sheets made and our problem was solved and the cost was about the same as a premium over the counter set.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #34

If that's your only problem when traveling count your blessings.
Cvettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #35

Smile Good solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriP61 View Post
We continuously have issues with the sheets & blanket sliding off of the foot of the bed. It doesn't matter if we use cotton sheets or satin. Every morning we are left with only the spread covering us. The only sheets I have found that do not slide are flannel. And the husband can't stand flannel sheet.

Helpful suggestions would be nice.
I had the same problem. I picked up a package of adjustable bedsheet gripper corner strap clips that clip on either side of the corner of the sheet and stretch across under the mattress. I clip them to the blanket or comforter instead of the sheets. Haven’t had a problem since. I found them at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4PCS-Adju...AaAtwnEALw_wcB
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #36

I know many of you have the walk around beds but I have a corner bed. I just purchased from Amazon a stretch fitted sheet and a twin sized comforter that is oversized. I measured the width of the bed (says a Queen but we all know they are smaller than a real queen) and the comforter was perfectly sized to limit the amount of tucking needed. Making that bed with the original comforter was a challenge so I utilized a full size comforter I had brought with me which worked well but wrong color. The comforter I bought could be a few inches wider (it is 68 in wide) but it works ok although if it were 72" wide that would be better but it was cheap. I haven't tried the fitted sheet yet but a regular queen fit other than it bunches up so a stretch one should work. I don't bother with the top sheet as it just ends up in a big mass in the center of the bed anyway.
SunseekerFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #37

To those of you who suggested the elastic sheet straps, Kudos!. I bought some. I attached 2 of them to the bottom of the flat sheet & clipped, at an angle across the corner to the side of the flat sheet. I also made sure that the fitted sheet was clipped in as well. Then, I did the same thing with the blanket. Not only does the sheet & blanket not slide off of the bed, but I gained extra length by not having to tuck it under the bottom. Thank you to all of you that suggested these.
SherriP61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed