Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
It would be much better if I can play thru our Jensen sound system. It's also dumb.
My TV sound stinks too. We can hardly hear it at full volume which then distorts it. A little audio cable from the TV to the sound system works well with enough power to blast us out of the TT.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #22

Hi,

Last winter I downloaded the entire "Longmire" series and a dozen movies from Netflix to my tablet, took them with me to Quartzsite, and viewed them over about six weeks. Didn't seem to be an expiration deadline.

My Jenson TV in the Silverback would be considered dumb, I guess. Or I could be... But I never was able to lash the tablet up to display through it.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
I hear that it's possible to download Netflix content via their app for viewing later but my question is-

Can I download Netflix content and then view it on my big screen "dumb" TV??

Also- can you shed any light as to file size for say an hour or two of content?
If I download a movie how much phone memory does it take?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

You can download certain movies within Netflix but they expire after a number of hours or days. The file size is definitely up there with ~500 MB per hour depending on the resolution, I would store these files on a memory card. If your TV doesn't have wireless input then try HDMI with the appropriate adapter on your phone.

Another option for downloading is the 'Playon' app for Windows and Android, it will let you keep the downloads indefinitely and allows for scheduled downloads overnight. I'm using the laptop for Playon bec. it's so easy to move large files onto ext. drives. Not sure what the current pricing is, I have a lifetime subscription which was the best deal at the time, about 5 years ago.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #24

Quote:
I hear that it's possible to download Netflix content via their app for viewing later but my question is-

Can I download Netflix content and then view it on my big screen "dumb" TV??

Also- can you shed any light as to file size for say an hour or two of content?
If I download a movie how much phone memory does it take?

Thanks for any insight you can share!
i use a software program "PlayOn". It will download and store movies for future watching from amazon, netflix, hbo now, hulu and the list goes on. It is easy to set up with your accounts from whom ever you get movies. Does not require internet after downloading movies. It records those that are not supposed to be recorded such as an amazon rented video.
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #25

I use Play On too. I use a USB hard drive connected to the computer that is cabled to the TV. I like it since we camp places that do not have WiFi.

Works good if you have the time to record the content.

USB drives are cheap these days.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #26

If you have an iphone or ipad just download to the device in the Netflix app and get the apple lightnting to hdmi adapter. There are also some other lightning to hdmi adaptors available but the apple one works perfectly. We do this all the time with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. If your TV has no HDMI ports you can get a HDMI to RGB adapter for something like 20$. You will have to figure out the audio though as that depends on the TV ports you have available.
me here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #27

This is how I copy all my movies from that I buy on Amazon and from my Netflix account. I also copy American Pickers and shows as the application has the channels built in. As long as you have a legal paid subscription to the service or cable/satellite company you can copy the content.

It is called Playon and I have had since it came out years ago. It records and puts the movie in a mp4 file format. A 2 hour movie is roughly about 2 gigs.

I carry a small 4 terabyte HDD about the size of a deck cards in my TT plugged into a laptop that stored in the cabinet next to the TV. The laptop is connect with a HDMI cable to the TV. I also have games on the laptop. With a wireless mouse and an application called Emby to sort the movies with actor, director and movie information it works quite well.

This way I am not burning through data on my phone or reliant on cell signal or Wi-Fi signal. Nor am I tying up the campgrounds bandwidth as video is very bandwidth intensive.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #28

Question for you PlayOn users: Do you know if PlayOn can record programs that I have recorded on my DirecTV DVR?
Citizen of the World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen of the World View Post
Question for you PlayOn users: Do you know if PlayOn can record programs that I have recorded on my DirecTV DVR?
This I don't know. You could contact Playon support.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #30

Same here with the fire stick. As long as you have a phone signal, then you can Bluetooth the fire stick to your personal hotspot and you are good to go.
We have the unlimited data plan from at&t. Even when the speed is throttled down, the movies streamed no problem. So all the stuff you get at home on your fire stick, is able to work on your smart or dumb tv.
PackagingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote