Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Dribbling Annoyance

With our new Rockwood, I came up with a new word after taking her out a few times camping, "dribbling"

It seems that whenever I open the cover to hook up my hose on the main gray/black tanks, some liquid dribbles out...anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. I assume one of the valves is letting just a bit out...but I have been unable to determine if it's the black one or the gray. (In our old Nomad camper, she never dribbled.)

I just saw something that may end the dribbling (well, not end it but contain that small amount of liquid for when the hoses are hooked up)...its' called a twist-on waste valve that just goes right on the end of the connection...genius! (I found one for $18.99 on Amazon.)

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
"On the road again"

I had the exact same problem as you - and about six months ago I took the same "fixit" steps as you and got the valve. It 100% solved the problem. Like you say...it's a very small amount that "dribbles" out but enough to be annoying and disgusting.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

GREAT idea!! Thanks for the post. Just ordered one from Amazon. I've had this problem since I purchased my unit. Seems the Mfg. (Forrest River) installed the waste line "upward" rather than down. Hence, every time I opened the cap about a quart of "stuff" poured out. Always carried a 5 gal bucket which was a pain. NO MORE!!
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Team

When all else fails, put a plastic bag over the cap before opening it. You can turn the cap thru the bag. It will catch the dribble and prevent splashing.
This extra gate is a good solution.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
When all else fails, put a plastic bag over the cap before opening it. You can turn the cap thru the bag. It will catch the dribble and prevent splashing.
This extra gate is a good solution.
good idea!

I would also suggest that you always check to be sure a prankster hadn't open one or all of your dump valves.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

I had both leaking.A complete nuisance. I filled one tank up with the hose and see which one it was.Had a bad black tank valve.
Then months later started again.Went to have the grey valve change and there was a large piece of plastic blocking the valve to close all the way.
After that no issues.Also found tank valve lubricant at a rv store too
Old 12-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
GLCM Warrior

I had the same problem and employed the same solution. Works great!

Now, I'm contemplating going to this system: Waste Master.

Pretty pricey...but the hose stays attached to the dump tube all the time and all you need do is just pull it out of its storage compartment whenever you need to dump.

There are a few other new systems that are intriguing as well...Polychute (http://www.drainmaster.com/main/2012...-between-them/) for example does away with the bayonet connector...using a cam lock system to connect the hose(s) instead.

Happy Camping!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote