Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Driveway saver?

When we brought our new TT home the first time if found that the angle of approach was different than on our old Jayco and the drag bars on the back of the trailer began dragging pretty hard for a foot or so. The next trip out I threw some plywood down on the driveway apron to give me another inch of height and the bars rubbed just a little. The plywood solution is a pain so I have come up with something else that I hope will work better.

In the picture below you can see my mod - I formed and mounted a 1/4" thick piece of Delrin on each of the drag bars. Of course this won't stop the bars from dragging on the driveway during entry (actually makes it a 1/4" worse!) but the Delrin should prevent the driveway from getting scratched up. Delrin is pretty tough so I don't think it will wear out that fast but only time will tell. As we get a few more in & outs with the trailer, I'll update to let everyone know how they hold up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20170930161820216.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	155120  
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

My only concern would be the added stress to the back part of the frame over time of dragging it. That is twice a trip. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

I thought about that but in my driveway it's just a scrape - not like the trailer tires come off the ground. The Cruise Lite has a good frame so I think I'm OK but I'll be watching to see how things go.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #4

My thinking is a wheel would have been better if it could be attached under there.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

I looked at wheels but it would require removal or modification of the drag bars that FR gives you. If the Delrin doesn't work, that wold be next. BTW, if you look at the wheels that are heavy duty enough to actually survive a drag you're talking 50 to 75 bucks plus the fabrication costs. My Delrin fix was just over 10 bucks.