Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #111
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 54
That is funny, but my story is dif. My husband is a firefighter and never reads directions and is not handy. In his words "I get paid to tear $h!t apart, not fix it". That being said I am very OCD and precise (I don't like the word anal..." I have already read each manual, hole punched them, and put in a binder in alphabetical order. He has said he is just gonna let me tell him where to go, and what to pull. So w/ the above info please understand your post probabley makes sense to those that are experienced, but all I think is "why is the fresh water hose being disconnected after duming 1st grey water tank, why is it hooked up" and so on... When I say inexperienced I have been camping in a pop up twice, we bought the TT last week and have yet to take it out. We have one GW tank and I thought you only hooked fresh water up at the dump station to flush your BW?!? So this story is funny to some, but to me w/ my OCD. Oh lord, back to the manuals... ~
__________________

__________________
Mike & Allie
2013 Salem Hemisphere 272BH
2006 Ford F250
PBallie1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #112
Member
 
sherri330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602
That is funny, but my story is dif. My husband is a firefighter and never reads directions and is not handy. In his words "I get paid to tear $h!t apart, not fix it". That being said I am very OCD and precise (I don't like the word anal..." I have already read each manual, hole punched them, and put in a binder in alphabetical order. He has said he is just gonna let me tell him where to go, and what to pull. So w/ the above info please understand your post probabley makes sense to those that are experienced, but all I think is "why is the fresh water hose being disconnected after duming 1st grey water tank, why is it hooked up" and so on... When I say inexperienced I have been camping in a pop up twice, we bought the TT last week and have yet to take it out. We have one GW tank and I thought you only hooked fresh water up at the dump station to flush your BW?!? So this story is funny to some, but to me w/ my OCD. Oh lord, back to the manuals... ~
I probably should have explained that the "procedure" was written for dumping at the campsite before we leave. We do have to change a little when we go to a dump station. The fresh water hose doesn't get reconnected to the trailer, but when DH reaches that step, he knows that I want to dump some water down the kitchen sink using my large mixing bowl. Since we're at the dump station, the next step would be me moving the trailer up, so he can't forget anyway.

Congratulations on the new TT! I hope you get a chance to enjoy it soon! Here's hoping you don't have story to post here anytime soon
__________________

__________________
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #113
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
These stories are hilarious.

We don't have the benefit of a sewer hook up at our park. I purchased a 20 gallon transfer tank. I'm not gonna move the TT every time I need to dump my tanks. I did a dry run with grey water the first time. All went well.

I finally had to dump it two weeks ago. My wife joined me. I had dumped black water before but never into a transfer tank. I connected the hose and removed the air vent cap. Then I released the valve while she held the end of the hose to the tank. Needles to say, we were both suprised at the speed in which the fluid filled it.

Within seconds the vile liquid was spraying out of the tank's air vent. I rushed to shut the valve but it continued to pour out. We were both afraid to remove the hose because it was chaulked full. I grabbed it and somehow managed to spill very little by holding it up. My wife capped the tank trapping the remaining overflow that would have spilled onto the ground.

I'm a big guy and I had a hard time lifting the tank. I attached it to the truck, jumped on the tailgate and she drove down the hill to the dumping station. The entire time I was shouting for her to keep the speed down while the dog chased us down the road.

At the dumping station, I knew we were gonna have trouble. The tank was ballooning under the pressure. As soon as I disconnected the cap, about a litre gushed out and soaked my sneakers. I'll probably never wear them again.

Back at the camper I still had to deal with the full hose and the remaining fluid in the tank. I managed to get the hose into the tank easy enough and emptied the tank wihout any issues. As my wife attached the cap, she says, "Wow, it's way chunkier this time." My stomach churned, I could have easily puked.

I cleaned up the site and myself and learned how not to dump my tank. I could still smell the stink that night after I showered. It was stuck in my nose. My wife is a nurse and she nearly barfed a few times during the process.
__________________
2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS
2011 Chevy Avalanche
Labrador City,NL
FamilyTruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #114
TeresaInCAL
 
TeresaInCAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California foothills
Posts: 416
I'd rather move the trailer 100 times then deal with a transfer tank! OMG...
__________________
Teresa
2013 f150 Ecoboost 4x4
2009 Gray Wolf, 22BH
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
Mark and Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Posts: 445
After reading a few of the stories to my Dw over our morning cup of coffee, she told me, You are going to have to do it when it needs to be done. We try to manage ours, if a bathroom is not far away, we use it for the main stuff. If our gray tank is a little more than the black, I pour our dishwasher in there to help. So far this camping season we have not had to take the trailer to the dump and then back to the site, but I know my day will come one day.
__________________
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #116
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 54
Any portable tank tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster View Post
These stories are hilarious.

We don't have the benefit of a sewer hook up at our park. I purchased a 20 gallon transfer tank. I'm not gonna move the TT every time I need to dump my tanks. I did a dry run with grey water the first time. All went well.

I finally had to dump it two weeks ago. My wife joined me. I had dumped black water before but never into a transfer tank. I connected the hose and removed the air vent cap. Then I released the valve while she held the end of the hose to the tank. Needles to say, we were both suprised at the speed in which the fluid filled it.

Within seconds the vile liquid was spraying out of the tank's air vent. I rushed to shut the valve but it continued to pour out. We were both afraid to remove the hose because it was chaulked full. I grabbed it and somehow managed to spill very little by holding it up. My wife capped the tank trapping the remaining overflow that would have spilled onto the ground.

I'm a big guy and I had a hard time lifting the tank. I attached it to the truck, jumped on the tailgate and she drove down the hill to the dumping station. The entire time I was shouting for her to keep the speed down while the dog chased us down the road.

At the dumping station, I knew we were gonna have trouble. The tank was ballooning under the pressure. As soon as I disconnected the cap, about a litre gushed out and soaked my sneakers. I'll probably never wear them again.

Back at the camper I still had to deal with the full hose and the remaining fluid in the tank. I managed to get the hose into the tank easy enough and emptied the tank wihout any issues. As my wife attached the cap, she says, "Wow, it's way chunkier this time." My stomach churned, I could have easily puked.

I cleaned up the site and myself and learned how not to dump my tank. I could still smell the stink that night after I showered. It was stuck in my nose. My wife is a nurse and she nearly barfed a few times during the process.

WOW! I was gonna buy a portable tank soon because it sounds so much easier than moving the trailer to the dump & back. Now I'm scuuuured! So have you used it again w/ better results? How do you know when to shut the valve in time to fill it almost w/ out over flowing? And how do you transport it since it is so heavy? Anyone else have tips for using the "blueboy"?
__________________
Mike & Allie
2013 Salem Hemisphere 272BH
2006 Ford F250
PBallie1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #117
Go Pak
 
unyalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheyenne
Posts: 61
Curious, anyone using or witnessed use of one of these? RV Macerator Pump & RV Waste Disposal Accessories
__________________
2016 Cougar Ultralite 26RBI
2015 F150 Lariat 4x4 CC Ecoboost 3.5L
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
Road-King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 645
We have this one;

Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank, 42 Gallon (Barker) - $223.99

It is usually just the two of us camping, and we can fill our 38 gal gray tank in 3 days. It takes about 6 or 7 days to fill the black, we (at least I do) try and use the CG bath house for #2.

So most of the time I'm using it for gray water. I like the 42 gal size because if I need to dump the black I can and know I have the room for all of it and still run a little gray through the stinky slinky to clean it out.

I recommend the Barker brand, especially the ones with the side valve. No lifting the tank at all with that valve. My tote tank came with a gauge bobber that fits into the vent. IMO not very useful because it stops up the vent if you try and use it.

The only complaint I would have for using the tote tanks (any brand) is we were staying at a CG that had speed humps between our site and the dump station. It worked, but I was worried about pulling the tank over the humps. I told the camp host that they needed to cut 4' out of the middle of the humps so those with tanks could pull them through the cut out.
__________________
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #119
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602 View Post
WOW! I was gonna buy a portable tank soon because it sounds so much easier than moving the trailer to the dump & back. Now I'm scuuuured! So have you used it again w/ better results? How do you know when to shut the valve in time to fill it almost w/ out over flowing? And how do you transport it since it is so heavy? Anyone else have tips for using the "blueboy"?
I use my "Blue Boy" all the time when I camp in Florida.
I got one big enough to not only hold all my black water, but some gray water to flush out the hose before I disconnect.

Get one with a side valve so you don't need to lift anything and a hitch loop on the handle so you can move the full tank with the truck.

I saw how others who use tiny tanks fair at the campground (not well even for seasoned users).

A valve at the END of your dump mast will allow you to immediately stop the flow at the end of the mast so you are only dealing with 10 inches or so of hose (you DID make a special hose up for your dump tank right?)

PS it is the same one that Road-King has...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0519.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	19745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	19746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	19748  
Attached Images
 
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #120
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
My tote tank came with a gauge bobber that fits into the vent. IMO not very useful because it stops up the vent if you try and use it.
I agree. While using the foam float gauge cuts down on stinky vapors when filling the tank, it forces the tank to vent through the camper's stack. This results in the tank "burping" while filling the Blue Boy. If you are close to full, a "burp" could over fill your tank before you can react and close the valve. Additionally, you will still need to remove the "float" to let the hose drain after you close the "end of mast" valve. Always stop dumping before "full" so you have room to drain the hose.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.