Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus
Glaciergus has a good writeup. I'll just include mine from a manual that I put together a few years ago for my wife (she has yet to dump the tanks so not sure why I bothered)...

Here is the cliff notes version ...

1. Warning - Do not open the valves until you are ready. Use disposable gloves.

2. Remove the holding tank outlet cap and connect the three-inch sewer hose to the outlet of the holding tank.

3. Extend the hose to the hole in the ground.

4. Insert the sewer hose into the dump station's hole a few inches. Use the hole's cover, a rock, or something heavy enough to hold the sewer hose in place so it doesn't pop out of the hole.

5. Open the black tank valve first. You'll hear the "stuff" flow. This will usually take a few minutes depending on how long you have been camping.

6. Close the black tank valve.

7. Open the gray tank valve. Drain until its stopped.

8. Close the gray tank valve.

9. Check both black and gray water tank valves and make sure they are closed.

10. Disconnect the sewer hose from the outlet and replace the outlet cover.

11. Rinse the hose with the Not-Potable Water Hose and store away in the bumper.

12. Its a must to add 3-5 gallons of water to the black tank by flushing the toilet and then add the water softener (we use the Geo Method).

Granny - That's the basics. There are a number of videos on youtube that might be worth watching, as well.

Some will flush the system if they are equipped with a flush. The clear plastic elbow you see in that picture is nice so that you can see when you are done. I have a clear elbow that allows me to flush so its useful to see how the flush is working as the water becomes clear.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #172
Interesting. Since none of you have mentioned connecting the hole to the black tank cleanout connection, perhaps that is not a feature on your rigs. There are few more steps my husband uses when rinsing the inside of the tank with this feature. Otherwise, I think I might copy your steps in case he is not around and I need to empty my tanks. Thanks.

ritzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #173
Site Team
It could be helpful to put the hose into the drain first and then attached the other end to the tank pipe just in case there is a "surprise" waiting when the cap is removed. The advantage would be that more of the sewer stuff can make it into the drain vs all over the ground by your feet.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #174
Exclamation Thanks for all the information and entertainment

We just purchased our new to us 2009 tt. We knew there was a whole bunch of information and experience that we needed but had no idea the questions to ask. This thread has been invaluable and we have been laughing the past 2 days it has taken to get through 18 pages.

Thanks for all the posts. Hopefully we can now avoid some of the 'incidents' and become one of the newbie stories. We have already started making out procedure list. When we get it finished I will post so more experienced can point out what we have missed.

Thanks again, grannyjaneb in MO
Grannyjaneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #175
Nobody mentions this but my tip is to always open gray tank first just to make sure there is no leaking (for just a minute) at connection. We sometimes have a problem connecting to the 'nubs' we think we are on and we are not. Just bought a clear straight waste valve , it is great seeing when tanks are clean
Pam & Don
2003 Ford Expedition EB
2011 Rockwood 2304s

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #176
We "try" to never wear any shoes inside out 5th wheel. Usually take them off just outside the door and put them near a mat that we carry. If we wear them inside we take them off at the door.
5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #177
Dallas Texas
Originally Posted by 5thwheel View Post
We "try" to never wear any shoes inside out 5th wheel. Usually take them off just outside the door and put them near a mat that we carry. If we wear them inside we take them off at the door.

X2. We've done this for both past 2 campers and the current one. Really keeps the inside to stay clean and looking good.
2004 Cardinal 33CKT
2006 Ford SDD F250 CC 4WD
TexasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #178
A great tip-put a bag of ice in black tank along with calgon n bleach or what everit will slosh anything left loose!!
Rmfithen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #179
Ok today pulled up in line to dump watched couple in front of us dumping. Sorry had to laugh and watch wife gross out. They were dumping and watched the man pull out 4 to 6 feet of hose out of ground no gloves hugging the hose to his clothes to see if it was done . Then wife helps both holding the hose against them while flushing it. then put all away no washing hands get b into truck and leave
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #180
Unhappy Gross

Yuck! And talk about the opportunity for cross contamination. I wonder if at home they're wiping everything down every 5 minutes with those anti bacterial wipes?

Guess we all have to learn at some point. I was fortunete enough to join Good Sam and forums simliar to this almost 10 years beofre I got my trailer so by the time I did I pretty much had a handle on it. Gleaned much knowledge from those who've been there and did that. I'm not saying that I haven't done stupid things since, but that's half the fun isn't it?

Christian Mulvey
2008 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2012 Sandpiper 340RL fifth wheel
& 2016 Crossroads Longhorn trailer
cmulvey is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad