Old 03-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #41
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I have never seen a clear cap either. Instead I use a clear 45 degree elbow on mine. It stays on all the time. One end to the valve, the other end gats capped. That way I always have a clear window if the valve was accidently opened.
Isnt that what kids are for???

Time spent 2012 in TT 32 days so far and 21 Planned days this Fall with mini trips in between
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
2012 XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #42
I keep it simple, NOBODY messes around back there but me. This has worked good for us so far considering I'm the only man in a family of 3 women (DW and two DD's) and they DON'T want to mess with that stuff. They are quite satisfied with the dumping of the tanks being my job and so am I.

Foothills of NC
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 309BHL
2004 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
Equalizer WDH
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
I'm with Ruben, I figure since I don't wear gloves, shoe covers, face sheilds, etc when I put the "stuff" in the tank, not much since in worrying too much about it when I empty it out.
Yuck.... sorry Ruben and Whiteknight,

After 16 years as a medic, even other people's sweat is gross...

I went to the local Co-op farm store and bought a pair of heavy chemical gloves.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
I use the latex gloves. They are disposable and pretty tough. My first time out, I used a pair of leather gloves that got wet with the black water. Latex only from then on. Don't want the stink or other issues that may come from storing soggy nasty gloves in the compartments.

The worst thing I've ever seen was while waiting in line at the dumpstation lines at Atlanta Motor Speedway. There were two 12" pits that served as catch basins for spillage. One had clogged up completely and folks just kept dumping into it until it was briming over. I watched a fellow accidentally slip into this soup up to his calf. He cussed and simply washed it off with the hose. I don't know what he did with the stuff in his shoe as he just got into his truck and drove off. Nasty.
grb2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #45
The worst that I have seen was in Toronto. The person drove the TT so the valve was over the cement catch basin, the then put a rock on the cover to hold it open. He did not use a hose but just opened the valve and let the black water flow into the dump station. I when t to the office to complain and the young kid at the desk said "that is the way everyone does it." I never went back to this campground again.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #46
I do the following:
1. Use latex gloves.
2. Have "dump" shoes that never go inside.
3. After rinsing, I have a clorox based spray that I spray everything with.
4. Everything used while dumping (except the hose) goes into a zip lock bag or into a sealed box.
5. I have a short (7 foot) hose that I use for rinsing the lines out. I never get the fresh water hose close to what I'm doing!

Just got a 2002 Sunseeker C class 26. I have reservations for 65 days so far this year....wahoo!!!
krudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #47
I hook up the hose, dump the black, flush the stool, dump the gray, stow the hose, wash my hands and get the he-- out of there. Not much to it.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
itch'n to road trip
OMG! Y'all have made my morning! I have laughed so hard... I really don;t understand the big deal.... dumping is NOT rocket science. Maybe y'all are getting in a hurry? Take you time... we dump as we leave the camp ground. Pull in, get close to the dump conx. Attach our hose. Most times there is a brick or rock or something there to hold down the hose to the ground dump hole. Double check you connections and then s-l-o-w-l-y pull the "black" knife valve handle. I go inside and run water thru the potty and such. Then dump the gray water. we haven't had ANY problems so far. But I guess there is always a first. (especially now that I have posted this!) :P

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #49
Well it finally happened... When I got to the dump station Sunday I open the compartment door and I had a surprised flood looking at me. Yep! The valve was left opened from the last time (I swear I closed it) what a mess. So I got a bucket unscrewed the cap of the pipe the hose sits in and it all ran out into the bucket. I then poured it into the dump. Luckily we had been using the forward bath room more than the master bath so it was not very full. I then reach over to the water hose to rinse out the compartment and ,,,,,,,, YEP “sorry out of order”! So I closed up and went home and spent the last two days rinsing out the compartment, spraying it with water/bleach mix putting fan in front and opening other side for cross ventilation and airing it out. The sun hits it for about 3 hours a day to help it dry, fortunately, it has been in the 80s here in Ocala.

Did I say I know I closed that @#$%$^&*& valve last time. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Norm & Paulette
Neverland where growing-up is optional.
2011 Coachmen Mirada 35DS(36") pulling 03 Nissan Frontier
Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #50
My dad is using a clear “elbow” shape piece on the drain. He has solid pipe on the end of it as he doesn’t travel too much with the trailer. I am sure you could put the cap on the end of that. There is also a hose plug for easy clean.
I had it spill on my feet once. I was wearing sandals. Unfortunately, you learn from your mistakes most of the time. I never had it in my mouth though… And I am sorry, but I have to say that I laugh a bit while reading your story. I guess it’s either you breath the smell through your nose or you risk to flush with an open mouth.

JeanDa is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad