Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #81
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin View Post
We were camping at Bow Valley an hour west of Calgary, there was a young couple who rented a trailer that was set up next to us, The owners of the trailer did not empty the tanks when they rented it out , When they used the shower it started to back up. So the young fellow figured that he will empty the tank himself, and all he had was a small garbage can, which he filled and started walking down the road, asking where is the dump station, which it was 7 kms away, That look on that poor guy face was so sad, So i lend him my portable waste tank, i felt so sorry for him and his wife, But i have to admit it was funny to watch him carrying that garbage pail down the road.
That was mighty nice of you to help him out.
I bet that he would have walked about 2-3km (depending on the temp) before his arms and/or back and/or willpower gave out, causing him to dump it alongside the road.
That was your good deed of the day
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #82

Blue Boy? what is it other than a blue tank?
Cost and best place to get one... Different sizes?

Like I've said I've had to bag my own stuff out after a week long exercise but carrying it in a pail down the roadway... OMG
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #83
Travelin Man

I have one of those caps on mine that has a hose connection on it, so if you have some fluid in the pipe you can open the cap and have the hose ready to catch it. sure beats having a 3 inch pipe full of fluid coming at you. I like the idea of adding another valve in case you ever get any leaks. I also have a clear connector so I know what is in the pipe before I open it.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #84

I usually just keep the black tank valve open when I open the gray tank valve and finish the dump process.

Is there any reason to close the black valve BEFORE opening the gray valve? Personally, I don't think it makes any difference... just curious.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #85
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
I usually just keep the black tank valve open when I open the gray tank valve and finish the dump process.

Is there any reason to close the black valve BEFORE opening the gray valve? Personally, I don't think it makes any difference... just curious.
Always the potential I suppose to suck some solids out of the black tank that will then stay in the main plumbing after you are done draining the gray.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #86

Make sure valves are closed before removing cap! And stand to the side when opening valves:

Remove cap and connect sewer hose:

Open gray valve to make sure connections are good (just enough to fill sewer hose and test for leaks). If you have a bad connection at least it is gray water. I also believe the soapy water probably makes a good lubricant/coating on the inside of the hose.

Close the gray with water still in tank and open up black tank. Using a clear elbow you should be able to tell when it is empty. If you have a black flush, using a separate hose (mine is actually a gray coiled hose) connect and flush for 5 minutes with valve open. Once you are done flushing, close black water valve and finish dumping gray. Disconnect flush hose from RV and use to rinse the sewer hose and area.

This system has worked for me for years with no gloves. I keep antibacterial soap next to sewer connections so I can wash my hands right afterwards.

I also recommend replacing the sewer hose every couple of years with a high quality one. I found the rhino hoses work well. The environment will also dictate however often to change hose. I got lucky when I got done dumping, of course with my system it was gray water at this point the hose split, how it did not split during the dump is still a surprise too me

My worst experience was camping with no hook ups for a two nighter. There were a bunch of teenagers around and they apparent went around at night pulling all the black water valves they could find. Luckily I noticed mine was open prior to removing the cap. I only noticed because the guy in front of me did not, and he ended up with some blue and brown suede shoes. I closed the valve and used a stick from the side to open valve directly over dump station only the small amount that was between the valve and cap escaped. Ever since then I always check to make sure the valves are closed prior to taking cap off.
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #87

I pull up, snap on latex gloves, hook up to the built in flush lines, hook up dump hose, open black, drain, turn on flush hose, let it run a bit, turn off flush, close black, open grey, close gray, disconnect dump hose, spray flush hose down dump hose, install caps, store it all, flip gloves in garbage can and get the heck out.

Pretty simple.

Never had a problem.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #88

Couldn't believe my eyes today when I pulled into Rasar State Park in Washington. The guy ahead of me was dumping his gray and black water directly onto the ground at the dumping station. Thought to myself, this is strange. Took a photo of the guy and license plate of the trailer. Gave this information to the local Ranger. After the guy was finished he took every effort to not step into the mess he left.

Before using I poured a mixture of water and bleach and hosed the best I could into the dump drain.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #89

I was at a state park last week and witnessed a family wash their kids (with bathing suits on) and dog at the dump station using the supplied water hose. You could hear the clanking as they were tripping on the sewer cap. I would have said something but the dad didn't look like he wanted to be told anything. YUCK!!!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #90
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I was at a state park last week and witnessed a family wash their kids (with bathing suits on) and dog at the dump station using the supplied water hose. You could hear the clanking as they were tripping on the sewer cap. I would have said something but the dad didn't look like he wanted to be told anything. YUCK!!!
Double Yuck...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #91

We keep our hoses in a plastic container with a lid.
My worst experience was when I pulled our hose out of the rear bumper only to find that a mouse had eaten the top half of the hose. Fortunately he hadn't got to the bottom yet so I was able to use the hose as a trough.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #92

We're new to the dump station, having only been on 4 trips with our new Roo, and already have a favorite memory: the lady standing over her husband eating a sandwich while he was doing the dumping.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #93
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
We're new to the dump station, having only been on 4 trips with our new Roo, and already have a favorite memory: the lady standing over her husband eating a sandwich while he was doing the dumping.
Love that story!!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #94
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
I stopped home one day around 1:00 to get lunch and the Septic Pump truck was parked in front of my house. The guy that pumps out our septic tank every few years had the hose in one hand and a sandwich in the other. His apparel is a pair of Rubber Boots mid-calf height, Short Pants (Blue Jean cut-offs) Dirty White to Grey Tee Shirt, Black Rubber Gloves that go pass his elbows and a baseball cap with We're #1 in the #2 Business on it. What a sight!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #95

What an entertaining thread. LMAO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasdh62 View Post
I have one of those caps on mine that has a hose connection on it, so if you have some fluid in the pipe you can open the cap and have the hose ready to catch it.
I was wondering if anyone would mention this. Here's what Doug is talking about.

One day your black tank valve may decide it's time to start leaking. With this thing on there (with the garden hose fitting at the bottom) you can hold the slinky with one hand and open the garden hose cap with the other and manage the problem. If you have the water hose running and laying at your feet you can hold the slinky with one hand and grab the water hose and rinse. I like the clear cap idea but what if it's full? I really like the secondary valve idea and would still use the garden hose cap after it. I believe I will get one of these.

a darn good video on the subject.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I stopped home one day around 1:00 to get lunch and the Septic Pump truck was parked in front of my house. The guy that pumps out our septic tank every few years had the hose in one hand and a sandwich in the other. His apparel is a pair of Rubber Boots mid-calf height, Short Pants (Blue Jean cut-offs) Dirty White to Grey Tee Shirt, Black Rubber Gloves that go pass his elbows and a baseball cap with We're #1 in the #2 Business on it. What a sight!
Sounds like Cousin Eddie.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #97
Explorer

late to the post but good stuff

Hope I'm not to late to the party,
Who knew after kids were out of diapers I’d be playing with poop again?
Three TIPS I haven’t seen posted:
Bleach bottle, I spray bleach on all outside water connections before I use them. I have seen way to many dogs marking everything not too. As well everyone else touches these water connections after dumping sewer with or without gloves .
Back flush black water tank, I use a clear 45* Hydroflush(water hose inlet) but this by its self isn’t enough for me. By lifting the sewer hose above the sewer gate valve about 6 inches I can get as much water as I need to flood the tank. Even more I lower the sewer hose just enough to let it fill with extra water but not low enough to drain yet then I lift it rapidly to force water back into tank to get a little slopping action in the tank.Then I let drain, I do this several times untell all is clear threw Hydroflush. Grey never works as well as the Black but I do it anyways. I do not have a clean-out system build into the tank so a wand and brush threw the potty and back flush from outside.
Sanitizer in the sinks, The same sanitizer I put in the potty(black water) I dribble in each of our sinks and shower to help sanitize the water traps and the tank. I only do this at the end of each trip, keeps every thing fresh.
My thoughts
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #98

Tonight we had a rental unit pull in beside us. Looked out the window and they had the white water hose in the holding tank outlet back washing the tank onto the ground. They then hooked the water hose up to the C class MH. I see the bleach bottle coming out tomorrow to disinfect our shared water outlet.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #99
CampingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Tonight we had a rental unit pull in beside us. Looked out the window and they had the white water hose in the holding tank outlet back washing the tank onto the ground. They then hooked the water hose up to the C class MH. I see the bleach bottle coming out tomorrow to disinfect our shared water outlet.
AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Blech!

Thanks - that just killed my appetite and will help me on my diet tonight
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #100

Last weekend we were at the dump station when another trailer pulled up in the stall next to us. Guy pulls out his hose and hooks it up to his trailer, lays the other end out on the ground near the hole, and lets 'er rip. No elbow or anything, the stuff is just spewing everywhere. Maybe half of it made it down the chute.

Tags
led pad