Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #221

Couldn't believe my eyes...

Luckily, I haven't had any mishaps...knock wood. I did see something unbelievable. I was a three back from a dude in a rental MH. You could tell it was his first time dumping just by the way he was looking around in wonderment contemplating the task at hand. Then, he just leaned down and pull the waste gate open...NO HOSE.

Luckily, one of the people in front of me chewed him out, cause I would've thrown chum if I got too close.

Onavfr800
2013 Flagstaff 8526TBWS
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
onavfr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #222
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Now by your own admission you have the distinction of being a " Devious OLD
FOLK" and advised me to "tread very carefully the next few days". I have taken this statement under advisement and have come to the conclusion that you suffer from some severe mental abnormality or a chemical imbalance or both and suggest you get a checkup from the neck up and a complete blood analysis. Meanwhile here on "The Ridge" we'll keep a watchful eye for devious old miscreants.
I think BombDoc already has his surveillance crew on "The Ridge" as we speak. BTW, just visited the vet 2 wks ago and got a clean bill of health and my 'anti FT Turbs' booster shot. Think you need to go to your local vet for one also.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #223

Black Tank Flush

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. My new rig has an onboard black tank flush which is threaded. I have yet to see a rinse hose at CG dump that has a fitting. My thought for a solution is to carry several different sizes of repair fittings to temporarily install on the rinse hose and uninstall when done with the deed.

The only thing I am concerned about is dump station ettiquette; taking additional time to install/uninstall fitting making the folks behind me wait longer than they need to.

What have others done about this?

Onavfr800
2013 Flagstaff 8526TBWS
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #224

I have only used the black tank flush when at sites with sewer connections. I use a Y adapter on the water outlet, one for the white drinking water hose and the other for a regular garden hose that I use to flush the black tank.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You forgot the 4th. 4. Laugh all the way to the bank!
5Th. Your Sh-t is my bread and butter !

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
I was told years ago there are three critical things you must know to be a plumber. 1st. Stuff (substitute the other S word here) rolls down hill. 2nd , Trim your nails short. and 3rd, paydays are Thursdays.

Another plumbing business trueism.....Your "STUFF" is our bread and butter.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
5Th. Your Sh-t is my bread and butter !

Sorry I did not look all the way thru before I added my $.02.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #228
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavfr800 View Post
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. My new rig has an onboard black tank flush which is threaded. I have yet to see a rinse hose at CG dump that has a fitting. My thought for a solution is to carry several different sizes of repair fittings to temporarily install on the rinse hose and uninstall when done with the deed.

The only thing I am concerned about is dump station ettiquette; taking additional time to install/uninstall fitting making the folks behind me wait longer than they need to.

Look up a product called a "water thief". As for etiquette- I'd only worry about flushing my tanks if no one was waiting, but I normally only call with sewer hookups. From start to finish, for my 5 tanks, it takes me the better part of an hour to dump/flush everything properly.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Look up a product called a "water thief". As for etiquette- I'd only worry about flushing my tanks if no one was waiting, but I normally only call with sewer hookups. From start to finish, for my 5 tanks, it takes me the better part of an hour to dump/flush everything properly.

Thanks for both tips. And, HOLY CRAP! 5 tanks? You probably have 2 black tanks (1.5 or 2 baths), galley, grey....what's the 5th one used for?

Onavfr800
2013 Flagstaff 8526TBWS
Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #230
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks for both tips. And, HOLY CRAP! 5 tanks? You probably have 2 black tanks (1.5 or 2 baths), galley, grey....what's the 5th one used for?
2 blacks - 1.5 baths
gray - 1st bath shower + sink
gray - galley
gray - outdoor kitchen

On top of that, there are 2 sewer connections - one services 1 black and 2 grays; the other the remaining 2 tanks.

Combined, comically I have 210 gallons of gray/black capacity but only 42 gallons for fresh water + another 10 for my hot water heater.

Worse yet, can you believe that I empty tanks every 2-3 days?!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #231
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

Isn't that the truth! I can't complain, I have a good buddy who is a master plumber, he gives me some good deals. I just got the bid back from him for the addition we are going to do to our house, $8,000 for all fixtures-labor-materials for 3 full baths, laundry room, floor drains in the garage and laundry sink in the garage.
That sounds pretty good. When we built our house, I payed our plumber about $7500for 3 &1/2 bath and kitchen and 2 washer hookups and 2 water heaters and sediment filters. And a detached garage 3/4 bath, water heater, wash tub and another washer hookup. But.. we bought the fixtures, stools, tubs and showers, water heaters, filters and sinks, and that was 3 years ago.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #232
Oklahoma Proud

I noticed a camper the other day (with full hookups) that had all thier valves open. Man i'd hate to deal with that mess when his tank is cloged up.
-And im sorry, but I don't want to loan my sewer hose to anybody. I almost want to carry a cheap walmart hose just in case someone asks to borrow mine, and just give it to them.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #233
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

I carry another water hose for rinsing, then spray the hose with bleach when done (we carry a spray bottle of 50/50) and rinse at the spigot and throw the hose in the back of the truck. I also have only do this when no one was waiting, but wouldnt hesitate to spend a couple extra min. anyhow. Id wait for the guy in front of me.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #234

All I have to say is "Living is hazardous to your health!" I don't care how careful you are you are going to end up with germs on you! Just wash up well after the deed is done! I watched a guy today, all gloved up, turn on and off the water at his site with his gloved hands. The next guy to that site, you or me, hooked our hose up and turned on the water. Do we wear gloves to hook up our water? I don't. Any time you do something around the utilities at a campground, wash your hands!! That includes lifting the panel to hook up power. We sometimes tend to worry to much about germs.. I always say, show me the bodies. I know you can get sick but I just never see a lot of stories about RV owners in the hospital due to dumping their black water tank. You don't really want to know what is on your hands..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #235
Oklahoma Proud

Too true!
I carry a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in the truck to wash hands with too-plus cuts grease.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #236

Ok my .02 cents If the valve gets pulled while the cap is still on don't panic close the valve place a large kitchen trash sac over the end of the pipe about 6'' past the cap hold the sack so 3/4 of the bag is under the cap ,now twist off the cap from the outside of the bag holding the sack on tight . now poor the contents down the dump station drain.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #237
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClain View Post
Ok my .02 cents If the valve gets pulled while the cap is still on don't panic close the valve place a large kitchen trash sac over the end of the pipe about 6'' past the cap hold the sack so 3/4 of the bag is under the cap ,now twist off the cap from the outside of the bag holding the sack on tight . now poor the contents down the dump station drain.
Good remedy. Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #238

Since this post is about tips and tricks, the biggest tip I have is to use a 45 degree hydro flush coupler so you can see whats happening in the sewer line when you are dumping. Also, check your sewer hose clamps before you dump the first time each season...I'll tell you why at the end of this post.

There are some funny posts here for sure. I totally agree with "dalford". We are way to germaphobic and accident phobic these days. Remember the early days of camping when we did not have gloves, shoe covers, radiation suits....heck I've been camping for 35 years and never used anything but some soap and water when I finished dumping. Before long everyone will be wearing helmets in case they stand up under the slideout, knee pads in case they have to kneel to disconnect the sewage hose, elbow pads in case you turn around to quick and hit their elbow on the side of the RV, and a mask & safety glasses in case something splashes in their face. I'M JUST KIDDING FOLKS!!!

There's many activities camping that are second nature and I do without a lot of thinking. But dumping, well, I double think about every move and do not get in a hurry no matter how many people are lined up behind me. Only accident I ever had was when I did not check the sewer hose clamps at the first of the season and when I pulled the lever, my topsiders immediately filled with stuff that was a lot worse than toe jam. HAPPY DUMPING FOLKS!!!
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #239

I think this was the first thread I ever read on the forum - entertaining, and informative. The dump station is a scary place for a nervous newbie, I got to admit. After a few trips I am a lot more confident and I added a cclear 45 degree elbow to monitor the process.

Last trip had a moment of panic though - black tank went fine, but when I tried to close the grey tank the handle broke off the valve. I was really happy it was the grey tank at least. Once I was back home had to use some gas hose to MacGyver the broken handle end off the threaded rod on the valve and re-tapped the handle. There are other issues with the design and alignment of these rods that caused the break, but I can operate them for now.

Last night channel surfed into the movie RV on CMT at the dump station scene. Had I seen that before getting into RVing, I might be hotelling a lot more.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #240

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread. I have been at this a while and learned a couple of good tips. One was the 45 degree clear output tube to see what is happening - this works great! It is especially handy when dumping 5 tanks. The other was the Valterra gate valve that you attach between the output pipe and the cap. The surprise of leftover heat-pressurized "happy liquid" spraying and dripping is no longer. I open the cap, hookup the hose, double check the connections, and open that valve. Then I open the tank valves. It is now all good!

Having dumped just yesterday, I tried something that I would like to share. After dumping both of my black tanks, I dumped my 3 gray tanks as normal. After they were down to a trickle, I used my level-up to tilt the trailer toward the dump station (up on the door side) by 1 degree and a hole lot more water flowed out. Once this was down to a trickle I lifted the front 1 degree and more water came out. With this success I tried tipping the other 2 ways and didn't get much at all. From now on, I will at least do the side to side tilt when dumping right before a dry camp.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad