Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #21

A guide to diesel *safe access* fuel

In traveling with a ~32 foot-fifth & F250 Crew Cab--since 2008--we have found that the publication "Next Exit" is invaluable to our success in finding and safely navigating diesel locations.

The Next Exit 2014 The Most Complete Interstate Hwy Guide Ever Printed: Mark Watson: 0733656120142: Amazon.com: Books

When combined with our regular sources (gps, and the Truckers version of Rand mcNally), "Next Exit" makes for safer highway clearances & fuel stop accesses, and better navigator/driver conversations which leads to warmer evenings campside!
Attached Images

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #22

Never had a big issue with it yet as the truck stops I have used the truck pumps closest to the building are set up where you can usually go in to the counter & pay. A Pilot station manager suggested that I get a Pilot card & would not need to come in........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #23

X2 on "The Next Exit". We would not travel without it. Once we figured out the pre-pay procedure at truck stops, we have had no problems getting our diesel at Pilot or Loves. Kind of fun being back there with the "big boys".
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #24

I know it's a pain in the ass and doesn't really fix the problem of what to do if you have a tight fuel depot, but as soon as I hit half a tank I start keeping an eye out for easy entry/exit locations. Sucks my tank is kinda small and I won't spend the coin to get a big boy, maybe the wife will let me get a new truck 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #25

Never had a problem buying diesel at a truck stop, but I did check into getting a card from TA a couple year ago. Seems you have use a LOT of fuel every month to qualify for an account, they made it quite clear an individual towing a camper would not meet the requirements.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #26

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekdave42 View Post
For example...in Fort Mill, SC the local BP has diesel for $2.99/gal while Love's is charging $3.19/gal. The negative to this is the nozzles are smaller and you have to reset the pump ever $75...it's worth it to me to spend a little extra time at the pump when I'm saving $20 for a fill up.

Wow...I'm quite jealous. My truck only holds 26 gallons which only amounts to $5.20 at $.20 per gallon difference...not much of a savings. A 100 gallon "stockpile" would make life MUCH easier while traveling.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #27

My truck only holds 26 gallons so I put a 75 gallon tank in the bed of my truck which feeds into the gas neck and keeps my truck 3/4 full once it gets down to half a tank.
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 AM   #28

I really should get the Next Exit. Thus far I've used driving skill and my wife spotting for me as I navigate, but that's only been a time or two.

A "lot" of times truck stop auto islands have diesel pumps that aren't too bad, in fact my local Flying J has a great auto island with diesel pumps aligned with the entrance and a big turnaround area.

Just note that "lot" in quotes. The Loves is hard to navigate with just my truck.

And to take advantage of a great price at a truck stop once I dropped the trailer. Great part of owning a 5er, just drop the legs, pull the pin, then rehitch.

So far it's not been bad, a little preplanning and careful driving has served me well.

I need to get that Next Exit though, I thumbed through it at my dealer and was pretty impressed.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #29

Great information

This is great information for my wife and I. We are planning a trip from North Carolina to the Grand Canyon next April. My Ram 2500 has a large diesel tank and I carry two five galleon cans with extra fuel in them for an emergency. My plans for the trip is to make each leg of the trip no more than 400 miles. Then we will spend the night at a pre-reserved campsite and fuel the truck while we are unhooked. I am planning every third stay to be for at least two nights to give us time to rest and to resupply our camper. This way I should not have to pull my Sierra 5th wheel into any small stations to fuel up. I have already got the Pilot card and plan to use it when possible for fuel but I will also look for stations close to the campgrounds that have fuel. We are planning on taking about two months for this trip. We will be stopping at rest stops and really just taking our time to see the country. Thanks again for the great information on what problems we may encounter on the road.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Never had a problem buying diesel at a truck stop, but I did check into getting a card from TA a couple year ago. Seems you have use a LOT of fuel every month to qualify for an account, they made it quite clear an individual towing a camper would not meet the requirements.
Pilots are RV friendly with a Good Sam Pilot Card. We love being able to pull through the truck bays and pay at the pump. Pilots usually have a fast food place within them for a quick bite to eat and clean bathrooms.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #31

The only truck stops I have found that are fleet only are unmanned. I can't think of the name right now but their are a couple of them. Some are connected to a manned station but have nothing to do with the station. They are fleet only. We used to use them with a company I worked for. It's all contract and their is no way around it. I have a motor home with a 100 gal tank. I try to only use Pilot truck stops and u have a card that allows me to fill at the pump without having to go inside. I don't like the diesel at regular gas stations because I don't know how much they pump. My diesel might get used in a couple of days or it could sit for a month or more so old fuel is a concern. I do treat mine if stopped for a time.
I will think of the name of the company that does the fleet think but I do know what you are talking about. Get a Pilot card. It's worth it and they are a nice company to work with. Not always as clean as I like but I seldom use there faculties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #32

A problem one of my buds ran into headed to cali was the truck stops ran a credit limit authorization to 500 on each fill up. I've never had that issue.I am a gas miser and always look for the best price...but in unfamiliar areas I always look for busy vs. price. I wanted the freshest I could find.

Diesel pumps are generally on the outside pumps, if diesel is on every pump in a larger station they are selling a lot of it. I have found generally that the closer to an interstate the bigger the area to manuver.

Salt

I just look at thevoctane rating now.

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #33

Big Rig flow rate

DH pulled the F250 into a Pilot this past November on our last outing & with all those cars up front decided to fuel up at the big rig area because he knew he can fit the large nozzle and there was not a single truck fueling up with over 10 open lanes. The station guy wouldn't turn on the pump & made us go up front claiming the flow rate would be more than the truck could take. Anyone else had this happen?
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
DH pulled the F250 into a Pilot this past November on our last outing & with all those cars up front decided to fuel up at the big rig area because he knew he can fit the large nozzle and there was not a single truck fueling up with over 10 open lanes. The station guy wouldn't turn on the pump & made us go up front claiming the flow rate would be more than the truck could take. Anyone else had this happen?

Never in my 3500.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
I call BS, granted the truck pumps do have a higher flow rate but the neck to your fuel tank CAN handle it I would not walk away till the pump shut off because I had one not shut off on it's own.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I call BS, granted the truck pumps do have a higher flow rate but the neck to your fuel tank CAN handle it I would not walk away till the pump shut off because I had one not shut off on it's own.

I also had that happen.....1.....time. The large nozzles do not get left alone any more. I caught it pretty quick...but still made a small mess.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #37

My F250 will burp at the truck pumps like a new born, I have found all I need to do is reduce the flow rate of the nozzle and all is good.

We will usually use our phone or tablet to get a satellite view of the upcoming station to see if it is accessible. It's not worth an 80 point turn to save a few bucks on fuel.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
We have a new and bigger trailer and truck. About 10 feet longer then our first rig, a F-150 (Gas) with a Gray Wolf 19RR toy hauler. It was about 40' total length. We never had a problem getting gas becasue we fit into most gas stations.

However this rig, F250 (diesel) and a Work & Play 25 ULA together are about 50' long and becasue where the axels are on the trailer, the pivor points are so different.

We have had a very difficult time finding gas stations where we could get into and buy diesel. Always so few diesel pumps and not easy to get to!

So we discovered that most truck stops are easier to get into and have LOTS of diesel pumps, but NOT for RVer's!! Most of the truck stops are pay by satelite or electronic pass.

Question: How can a lowly old regular RVer get a pre-pay pass to pay for diesel fuel at truck stops?

Any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

Hello Campnqueen..

I have the very same truck that you have. Very Very good truck the 7.3. Did you know that there is a slight flaw in the fuel tank? The breather tubes go down into the tank about three inches. My tank 'holds' 29 gallons. When 24 gallons are pumped in (empty tank) it will foam up and shut the nozzle off. Your tank will still hold 5 gallons. You can take ten or twenty minutes more to dribble in the last 5 gallons or drop the tank and fix it correctly.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Harpoon Mod Web Page

I belong to this forum if you have any questions about your truck and how to make repairs and not be ripped off by sDealers.

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/maint.php

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Also the price truckers pay for diesel is less as well, that is from the regular everyday person buying fuel. How can we buy diesel fuel in bulk at a reduced price and use the credits on the road when we travel? That's my question and issue. Truck stop are MADE for trailers and big rigs... standard gas stations are made for those little crappy rice burner cars perope drive everyday.
Each year trucking companies pay their fuel tax up front, apportioned by state. You may have noticed the "IFTA" sticker on the driver's door. This is proof that the tax has been paid. When truckers purchase fuel at a commercial pump, they are exempt from having to pay the tax again, and therefore pay a reduced amount. Hope this helps!
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #40

next exit!

Just want to echo what others have said about using the book, Next Exit. So amazingly helpful....not just for fill-ups. Only tracks interstate travel, but wow, it has been a really important resource. Safe travels all!

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel