Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
DH pulled the F250 into a Pilot this past November on our last outing & with all those cars up front decided to fuel up at the big rig area because he knew he can fit the large nozzle and there was not a single truck fueling up with over 10 open lanes. The station guy wouldn't turn on the pump & made us go up front claiming the flow rate would be more than the truck could take. Anyone else had this happen?
Never had a problem. I only use pilots but have the good Sam pilot card. I always fill up at at the big rig pumps
Old 01-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #42

Trucking companies contract with truck stop companies to lock in rates depending upon how much fuel their company buys per year. That's the main reason for the cards. To offset your pay at the pump without a card problem all you have to do is pay cash. This will also help you on the price. Most prices quoted are for credit purchases and almost all truckstops would prefer you pay cash and eliminate their transaction fees. They will pass some of those savings (usually 5+ cents per gallon) to you with their stated cash price. All you have to do is ask the clerk at the desk while you're having them turn on the pump. Some truckstops even quote the cash price on their signs out front. Only downside is carrying large amounts of cash.

Most larger truckstop chains stockpile fuel onsite or elsewhere. Ever wonder why you always see the FlyingJ tanker unloading all the time? 15 years ago I managed a Petro Fuel Island that had a million gallon tank near the fuel island and 100,000 gallons of tanks under the island itself. I would transfer 15,000-25,000 gallons per day to keep them full. With that much fuel going through you have virtually no worries of stale diesel.

As for the nozzles, they are hi-flow nozzles with larger diameter tubes but as long as they fit and you make sure you don't crank it full blast you should be fine. NEVER trust the auto shut-off. You'll end up taking a bath in Diesel fuel eventually.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #43

I did remember the name of the contract fuel company that is fuel only and no way to pay. It's Pacific Pride. That's the only place I have seen that you can't pay inside. Loves, Flying J all that type you can pay inside. Again I find the discount and easy access if worth having a Pilot card. I wish it worked at Loves also.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #44
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WOW!! Great info to know... Thanks Rick (Ricochet) and Les (Brother Les).

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #45

For folks that have a Smartphone, I have the IPhone, there is an app "my pilot" that maps out the nearest Pilot or Flying J, the app has a trip planner where you can use starting and ending dest. It maps the Interstate route, mileage, all Flying Js on the route, price of all fuels, and restaurant at each stop. Use it the app to plan my stops, and it gives you the distance from start to each Flying J. Great app for Flying J. Also use "the Next Exit" as well. There is app " the Last Exit" that is similar to the book as well. Both apps are free. Safe travels and may you never run out of fuel!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #46

Sorry on last post. The last exit is been changed to "iExit interstate exit guide". App is still free and seems to have more features.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #47

iExit app gets poor reviews

I was just about to add iExit to my phone and then I read reviews and decided that the juice is not worth the squeeze. See for yourself. I did also add the mypilot app and I think this will be a really good companion to my hard copy of Next Exit.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #48

I stopped using small stations for cars as I got a bad tank of fuel. Unfortunately that is 72 gallons so it was black smoke and missing for a while.

I had to pull into a regular gas station once when I had a mental lapse and "needed" fuel I just fit sort of and was blocking cars. It was a very slow fill-up compared to a truck stop.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #49

Thumbs up

I use the Pilot App to plan my stops when on the road. Every Flying J I have been in (but not Pilot) have a RV fueling lane or two. Easy entry and exit and a good discount for Good Sam is a win-win

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel