Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Easy access to diesel fuel?

We have a new and bigger trailer and truck. About 10 feet longer then our first rig, a F-150 (Gas) with a Gray Wolf 19RR toy hauler. It was about 40' total length. We never had a problem getting gas becasue we fit into most gas stations.

However this rig, F250 (diesel) and a Work & Play 25 ULA together are about 50' long and becasue where the axels are on the trailer, the pivor points are so different.

We have had a very difficult time finding gas stations where we could get into and buy diesel. Always so few diesel pumps and not easy to get to!

So we discovered that most truck stops are easier to get into and have LOTS of diesel pumps, but NOT for RVer's!! Most of the truck stops are pay by satelite or electronic pass.

Question: How can a lowly old regular RVer get a pre-pay pass to pay for diesel fuel at truck stops?

Any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Always Learning

My wife typically goes in to pre-pay and authorize the pump. She may or may not wait until I'm done to get a receipt for the actual amount. If she doesn't, they automatically refund the difference to your card from what you estimated to actually used. If I'm alone, I go in to start the pump and then just leave. If you're done and need to sit there for a short spell, just pull forward so the next truck can get in behind you. You can run in for your receipt with your truck pulled forward. If you'll be a while, go park the rig in a spot and spend however long you need.

Otherwise, Pilot/Flying J have an RVer card that gives you a few cent discount from cash price.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

One thing to watch out for @ truck stops are the size of the diesel nozzles. My F250 takes the smaller nozzle as others take the "big truck" nozzle. Not familiar w/your trailer, but please watch the canopy island clearance specs. Some ain't standard as I've had some close calls. It might be considered rude by some folks, but when I pull in for fuel, I whoop in there like I own the joint. Know your turning radius & trailer lag. You'll be fine
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We have found that the truck stops where there are satelite pre-pay... its on pre-pay pass only. You cant go inside and paid for fuel. It looks like truckers have an in for buying bulk diesel fuel.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
DDC

We have found the Pilot/ Flying J card for RV's works well for us when we travel with the trailer, we got it through the goods sams so we get a discount on the diesel that brings it down to close to where the rest are.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
We have found that the truck stops where there are satelite pre-pay... its on pre-pay pass only. You cant go inside and paid for fuel. It looks like truckers have an in for buying bulk diesel fuel.

Interesting, I haven't experienced that ever. Maybe we're talking about different kinds of truck stops.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
I haven't seen this either. I use truck stops mainly when towing. One of us goes in with a walkie talkie to prepay while the other stays at the truck pumps. Once paid we radio to the other to start. When done, radio back to get refund. I have only ever had one place automatically refund my card. I did have the truck nozzle stick in my old f250 once. Scared the bejesus out of DH and I. We eventually got it out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I haven't seen this either. I use truck stops mainly when towing. One of us goes in with a walkie talkie to prepay while the other stays at the truck pumps. Once paid we radio to the other to start. When done, radio back to get refund. I have only ever had one place automatically refund my card. I did have the truck nozzle stick in my old f250 once. Scared the bejesus out of DH and I. We eventually got it out.

We use the auto refund almost all of the time when we aren't at Pilots or Flying Js. I track fill ups in Gas Cubby and my money in Mint; I've never noticed a discrepancy.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of gas cubby or mint.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Never heard of gas cubby or mint.

Heh- two different apps/websites. Gas Cubby I use for tracking fill ups and MPGs. Mint is a personal finance thing.

Just meant to say that I'd never noticed a discrepancy.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #11

I share Queen's frustration here--there are times when I hit the truck stops by myself, and I have to go in, give the clerk my CC, go back out, pump the diesel, go back in, get CC back and sign the slip. It's way more of a pain than just pulling unto your local WaWa, Sheetz, TH, or 7-11 and filling up with the "pay at the pump." And yes, some of those truck stop pumps don't work with a CC, even if you go inside--you have to pull into the one that does. It's a production, for sure. That's what I try to fill up before I hitch, and after I unhitch whenever possible.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Could it be you are thinking of the off side pump that is partnered with the opposing pump. Meaning you drive into a lane. The left pump has nothing to swipe and looks different than the right pump. The right pump is set up for trucker prepay or CC. These are designed for a trucker to fuel opposing fuel tanks. In this case you get the right pump turned on. Come out, lay that nozzle on the ground. Walk around TV and use the left pump to fill. When finished plug both nozzles back into the pump. It took me a bit to figure these out.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #13

I've never had any issues at a truck stop or gas station, but I do prefer the smaller gas stations solely based on the fact that diesel is usually cheaper. For example...in Fort Mill, SC the local BP has diesel for $2.99/gal while Love's is charging $3.19/gal. The negative to this is the nozzles are smaller and you have to reset the pump ever $75...it's worth it to me to spend a little extra time at the pump when I'm saving $20 for a fill up. I usually only fill up at truck stops when I need DEF and/or to dump. Just my two cents...

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
itch'n to road trip

No I am not talking about "pre-pay' like gas.. I am talking about pre-pay with a pass box like the toll box for your cars windshild

These pupms are "satelite pay only"... even if you go ionside to pay... you can't!! Its for truckers only!! You MUST have one of those pre-pay account things on your windshield. How can you get one so you can get diesel fuel?

I found even with the Flying J/Pilot Good Sam's card... diesel is more exspensive there than other stations. Also the price truckers pay for diesel is less as well, that is from the regular everyday person buying fuel. How can we buy diesel fuel in bulk at a reduced price and use the credits on the road when we travel? That's my question and issue. Truck stop are MADE for trailers and big rigs... standard gas stations are made for those little crappy rice burner cars perope drive everyday.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
itch'n to road trip

Hey TrekDave42... I too like the price of the smaller staions for diesel... however getting into them is another story.

We dont want to rip off the top of our camper with their low hanging awning or the tight space to maneuver around a bigger rig....dodging all those littel rice burner cars.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #16

Hey Queen.....I have not run into the issues that you are talking about ...in any of our trips over the last 4 years. A lot of times I will unhook at a campground and go fill up without the trailer.....but I agree you want to be careful and not get boxed in.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
itch'n to road trip

Bobfidy... we too fill up when we unhhok our trailer. I am talking about when you are on the road traveling.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've never had an instance of satellite pay, but I almost always use Pilot (as I use a Fleet card). I have had to use smaller stations and I usually will stop on the side of the street with my flashers on before pulling into the station to map out my entry and exit (and make sure I can fit). I may even send my wife up to a pump to ward off drivers and tell them of my impending maneuvers,if the station is busy. There have been times when I've actually had to get out of my truck to explain to the simple minded, that they need to actually leave before I can pull in, and I'm a patient man(when on vacation).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #19

"The next exit" shows listings in red that have easy access and egress for rvs near interstates
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
We have found the Pilot/ Flying J card for RV's works well for us when we travel with the trailer, we got it through the goods sams so we get a discount on the diesel that brings it down to close to where the rest are.
X2 we have found pilots work well for us. Easy in and out. The good sam card lets us pay at the pumps.

Tags
diesel