Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Easy access to diesel fuel?

We have a new and bigger trailer and truck. About 10 feet longer then our first rig, a F-150 (Gas) with a Gray Wolf 19RR toy hauler. It was about 40' total length. We never had a problem getting gas becasue we fit into most gas stations.

However this rig, F250 (diesel) and a Work & Play 25 ULA together are about 50' long and becasue where the axels are on the trailer, the pivor points are so different.

We have had a very difficult time finding gas stations where we could get into and buy diesel. Always so few diesel pumps and not easy to get to!

So we discovered that most truck stops are easier to get into and have LOTS of diesel pumps, but NOT for RVer's!! Most of the truck stops are pay by satelite or electronic pass.

Question: How can a lowly old regular RVer get a pre-pay pass to pay for diesel fuel at truck stops?

Any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

My wife typically goes in to pre-pay and authorize the pump. She may or may not wait until I'm done to get a receipt for the actual amount. If she doesn't, they automatically refund the difference to your card from what you estimated to actually used. If I'm alone, I go in to start the pump and then just leave. If you're done and need to sit there for a short spell, just pull forward so the next truck can get in behind you. You can run in for your receipt with your truck pulled forward. If you'll be a while, go park the rig in a spot and spend however long you need.

Otherwise, Pilot/Flying J have an RVer card that gives you a few cent discount from cash price.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

One thing to watch out for @ truck stops are the size of the diesel nozzles. My F250 takes the smaller nozzle as others take the "big truck" nozzle. Not familiar w/your trailer, but please watch the canopy island clearance specs. Some ain't standard as I've had some close calls. It might be considered rude by some folks, but when I pull in for fuel, I whoop in there like I own the joint. Know your turning radius & trailer lag. You'll be fine
Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

We have found that the truck stops where there are satelite pre-pay... its on pre-pay pass only. You cant go inside and paid for fuel. It looks like truckers have an in for buying bulk diesel fuel.
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
DDC

We have found the Pilot/ Flying J card for RV's works well for us when we travel with the trailer, we got it through the goods sams so we get a discount on the diesel that brings it down to close to where the rest are.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
We have found that the truck stops where there are satelite pre-pay... its on pre-pay pass only. You cant go inside and paid for fuel. It looks like truckers have an in for buying bulk diesel fuel.

Interesting, I haven't experienced that ever. Maybe we're talking about different kinds of truck stops.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
I haven't seen this either. I use truck stops mainly when towing. One of us goes in with a walkie talkie to prepay while the other stays at the truck pumps. Once paid we radio to the other to start. When done, radio back to get refund. I have only ever had one place automatically refund my card. I did have the truck nozzle stick in my old f250 once. Scared the bejesus out of DH and I. We eventually got it out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I haven't seen this either. I use truck stops mainly when towing. One of us goes in with a walkie talkie to prepay while the other stays at the truck pumps. Once paid we radio to the other to start. When done, radio back to get refund. I have only ever had one place automatically refund my card. I did have the truck nozzle stick in my old f250 once. Scared the bejesus out of DH and I. We eventually got it out.

We use the auto refund almost all of the time when we aren't at Pilots or Flying Js. I track fill ups in Gas Cubby and my money in Mint; I've never noticed a discrepancy.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Never heard of gas cubby or mint.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Never heard of gas cubby or mint.

Heh- two different apps/websites. Gas Cubby I use for tracking fill ups and MPGs. Mint is a personal finance thing.

Just meant to say that I'd never noticed a discrepancy.

Tags
diesel