Old 07-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

Electric Tongue Jack

The enclosure for my electric tongue jack broke. Specifically the cover that is over the bolt that allows manual raising and lowering of the jack. The original cover was made of a hard plastic. Without replacing the entire casing, does anyone have any suggestions so that I can keep water and other elements out? Thank you.

ericallen301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #2

Not Pretty

Put a bucket over it.

Bruce

Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

I have this one and it's great. You even have places for the power cord and safety chains. They have a few different ones to choose from based on model. Instructions say to remove while driving, but it stays on mine 24/7.
EricClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190714-081642_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	209840
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Put a bucket over it.

Bruce

Yes or a small plastic trash receptacle color matched and bungee corded to your jack.
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
I have this one and it's great. You even have places for the power cord and safety chains. They have a few different ones to choose from based on model. Instructions say to remove while driving, but it stays on mine 24/7.
EricAttachment 209840

That one is fantastic. Friends got one and I did a review on it.

https://learntorv.com/tongue-jack-cover/
Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Electric Tongue Jack Enclosure

Im trying to decide if it is worth replacing the entire thing, getting one of the covers suggested, or attempting to find a flexible piece of plastic that will act almost like a stopper of sorts.

I noticed that the elements are starting to seize the mechanism a bit and the power switch is hesitant to move without me manually torquing the screw a bit.
ericallen301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Grammar Pedant

That Trailersphere Clever Cover looks super nice. I like the looks of that a lot. It's also $40, which is pretty steep.

There are myriad other simple covers, that are simply a small nylon/leatherette bag with a draw string. I got one of those for $7 and it works great. Those you have to take on and off when using the jack. The super cool one posted above is permanent, as it has that clear window to allow function.

I'd go in one of those two directions. Granted, if the upper housing is busted and no longer present, then the Clever Cover may not actually work as designed and you'd be losing a lot of the $40 of value it offers.

As mentioned, buckets also work, but I'm not real keen on having a bucket sitting on my trailer like that. Around here, you'd need bungees to hold in place from wind. I'd opt for the purpose-built covers.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericallen301 View Post
[...] I noticed that the elements are starting to seize the mechanism a bit and the power switch is hesitant to move without me manually torquing the screw a bit.
You need to take it further apart so that you expose the gears. Check for moisture, wear, and corrosion. Service as best you can and repack with the grease that's in there. Then cover that thing up.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericallen301 View Post
The enclosure for my electric tongue jack broke. Specifically the cover that is over the bolt that allows manual raising and lowering of the jack. The original cover was made of a hard plastic. Without replacing the entire casing, does anyone have any suggestions so that I can keep water and other elements out? Thank you.
Here you go! This is what we cover ours with. You didn't mention what brand of tongue jack you have. Our Barker tongue jack cover cracked on one side where the machine screw was holding the cover, called Barker and they sent me a replacement, no charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	209863  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
That Trailersphere Clever Cover looks super nice. I like the looks of that a lot. It's also $40, which is pretty steep.

There are myriad other simple covers, that are simply a small nylon/leatherette bag with a draw string. I got one of those for $7 and it works great. Those you have to take on and off when using the jack. The super cool one posted above is permanent, as it has that clear window to allow function.

I'd go in one of those two directions. Granted, if the upper housing is busted and no longer present, then the Clever Cover may not actually work as designed and you'd be losing a lot of the $40 of value it offers.

As mentioned, buckets also work, but I'm not real keen on having a bucket sitting on my trailer like that. Around here, you'd need bungees to hold in place from wind. I'd opt for the purpose-built covers.
I met the inventor of this product. Very nice guy and very helpful. It's well made and designed.
But for $40, I rather put a bucket or $1 trash can over it.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric