Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Electric water heater use.

Got a problem need help water heater won't light may be low on gas using stove so don't think it is want help with info on switching to electric is a 2011 Sierra with a suburban water heater SW10DE. I pulled the pin and flipped the switch. Is that all I need to do or do we still use the lighting switch inside to get it to light or does it just start to heat from the switch flipped outside. It's been awhile since we used the electric part.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Both switches need be on.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

If you only have one switch inside then you only have to turn the outside switch on.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Got a problem need help water heater won't light may be low on gas using stove so don't think it is want help with info on switching to electric is a 2011 Sierra with a suburban water heater SW10DE. I pulled the pin and flipped the switch. Is that all I need to do or do we still use the lighting switch inside to get it to light or does it just start to heat from the switch flipped outside. It's been awhile since we used the electric part.
This FAQ may help you remember in the operation of the Suburban brand of water heater:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A quick question though. Have you used your water heater this year? Many times people forget the bypass valves are still in the winterization mode and the water heater is empty, but since the water heater is bypassed with the cold and hot water lines tied together, they get water out of the taps but it's not coming from the water heater.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #5

Thanks all that really helped we do have hot water will check gas tomorrow.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Thanks all that really helped we do have hot water will check gas tomorrow.
The switch inside the camper is for the propane side and the one outside in the wh compartment is for the 110v side. They are 2 independent ways the wh will furnish hot water and DO NOT BOTH need to be on at the same time to get hot water. They will RECOVER faster with both on, but will work perfectly fine on either electric or propane.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

During our last trip, I couldn't get the gas to come with the electric on at the same time. After reading the manual again, I now think the gas will only come on if the water is below a certain temperature. A thermostat will keep the DSI from igniting the gas.

So if you are trying to get the gas to work just to test it, test it cold.

If I'm wrong anyone, please correct me, so I'll understand it better.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
During our last trip, I couldn't get the gas to come with the electric on at the same time. After reading the manual again, I now think the gas will only come on if the water is below a certain temperature. A thermostat will keep the DSI from igniting the gas.

You are correct, The propane side and the electric heating element side BOTH have thermostats that control their prospective side. If the water is already hot due to the electric heating element, then the propane will not fire up as there is no need to.

However, when you are showering or using a lot of water quickly, and have both sides switches turned on, then when the water temp drops inside the heater, then the propane will fire up, as well as the heating element coming on....up until the thermostats preset temp is reached...then the thermostats will cut power to their prospective sides.

Propane fueled fire heats the water quicker than the electric heating element.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post

You are correct, we use the elect all the time and occasionly add the gas when the temp dips below 30*
PS don't leave the elect on if you drain the water heater in between camps
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The switch inside the camper is for the propane side and the one outside in the wh compartment is for the 110v side. They are 2 independent ways the wh will furnish hot water and DO NOT BOTH need to be on at the same time to get hot water. They will RECOVER faster with both on, but will work perfectly fine on either electric or propane.
I'm with him

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater