Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Electronic tank control system

Has anyone here installed or familiar with the 12 volt Drain Master series for dumping black and grey water tanks from inside your RV? I'm looking into it getting ready to be a full time live aboard to use when needed in pouring rain or super cold out. Thanks
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

Drain Master electronic black/grey drain system

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Has anyone here installed or familiar with the 12 volt Drain Master series for dumping black and grey water tanks from inside your RV? I'm looking into it getting ready to be a full time live aboard to use when needed in pouring rain or super cold out. Thanks
Update: Ordered the electronic black & grey water dump system. A little pricey for both tanks (you can order for only 1 also) but it's going to be sweet dumping from inside with the push of a button in freezing cold or pouring rain conditions!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Update: Ordered the electronic black & grey water dump system. A little pricey for both tanks (you can order for only 1 also) but it's going to be sweet dumping from inside with the push of a button in freezing cold or pouring rain conditions!
I would think that tank dumping should be monitored outside while dumping.

If something goes wrong how will you know until it is too late?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Electronic dumping

I will be using a clear elbow also to monitor the flow. You could do this by just looking outside quickly to see how it's "flowing" Checking the sensors to know when empty also. As a long time RV guy and his wife on a YouTube video that uses it said, someone had asked him the same question, what if something goes wrong outside? His reply, can you think of a time when something did go wrong while dumping outside? Not that it couldn't but if everything is secure from the RV to the dump station you should be good to go.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
As a long time RV guy and his wife on a YouTube video that uses it said, someone had asked him the same question, what if something goes wrong outside? His reply, can you think of a time when something did go wrong while dumping outside? Not that it couldn't but if everything is secure from the RV to the dump station you should be good to go.
Yes, I can!

I was in Denver through three deep freezes this winter and I saw several neighbors in the RV park with their sewer lines frozen up.

One of them, his sewer hose had burst from the freeze up, but he didn't find out until it thawed and dumped his black tank...half of it on the ground out of the cracked sewer line.

He, of course, was of the school of "always leave my tanks opened" crowd.

Glad he was a couple rows down wind from me!

I also had close call when, while coming down a mountain dirt road loaded with chatter bumps, unbeknownst to me, the black tank drain valve rattled open just enough to fill the small space between it and the outside drain cap, filling it with black tank stuff.

To make a long story short...at the local dump station, let's just say that I lost a brand new pair of Coleman sandals, but at least I was able to jump and miss the blunt of it!

My solution to that was an add-on Valterra drain valve that attaches like the hose does and is now a permanent piece of hardware on my trailer.

Anyway, there are lots of incidents out there, but most are too embarrassed to tell their story!

I do understand the idea of indoor control of these functions, however.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

Yes things can for sure happen and do as you found out in a stinky way.
I'm full time on a permanent lot and won't be pulling, going anywhere. Also the weather here is usually not all that bad in the winter. I have tank heaters to take care of the unusual frozen times.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

No Black Tank Flush?

What about your tank flush? I would not want to dump without flushing the black tank. As for the gray tank, I leave it open.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

The electronic controls won't be used all of the time. Of course the black and gray mainly the black should be flushed clean fairly often from the outside. The electronic is mainly a convenience to use when wanted.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

If it works for you................ Tanks should never get so full that they can't wait until the rain stops to dump. Too cold?, I've had to hook up and set up in snow before. For the number of times it happens, I would use that money for more campsites.
Just my opinion, not say you're wrong.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Always Learning

I’m looking forward to how it works. On my last rig, I had 2 handles that were a bugger to reach!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

The tank sensors will tell how much is in the tanks, push the button and flush away until not quite empty on either tank. On a decent day and we have many down here in the south, go outside, flush, clean to keep them going right, especially keeping the black water tank sensors clean.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #12

Oh on saving to go to other sites I will be permanent. I bought the RV along with a deck and an awning that covers the RV and deck. Traveling is not an option, easy living is though!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’m looking forward to how it works. On my last rig, I had 2 handles that were a bugger to reach!
That would be a pain having to reach in pretty far to pull the handles. They make extensions just for that if you ever need or want to add them. They screw on to your current ones where the T handle is.

Tags
tank