Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #21

If you find out your water pump on your TV failed, you get it fixed, would you then carry the pump, tools, AF for the next 10 years on every trip you take? Of course not. It's new pump and while anything mech can fail at any time, odds are pretty good you'll be fine for a very long time.

While you can pick up a nail and have a flat at any time, the odds of that are slim- if you keep good tread on your tires. You could carry a spare tire and tools, plug kit, air compresser, chuck, guage, overalls and pancho (if it's raining when you get the flat), soap/cup/brush to find the leak, gloves, jack, jackstand, wheel chock, lights (might as well do worklights and 1000w generator - a flashlight may not be sufficient), spare batts for the flash light, flares and reflectors, rags/towels to clean up afterwards.

And after you change/fix the tire you'll likely need to go someplace to get it replaced anyway, so bring your smart phone to find the number, GPS to get there, visa to pay for the tire.

I just opt for the phone and visa. Partly because yes, I may be able to change the tire/deal with the issue, but my wife will use the phone - to call me (assuming she's alone out there) or use the phone to deal with the issue. As she did last spring when her car failed to start when she was out of town on business. She wasn't about to change the starter in applebees parking lot when at lunch with her peers, even if she had the tools, parts and knowledge.

I carry enough to get off the road and/or get help and/or get home. I've changed starters in parking lots (a few times), tires, etc. I've also paid to have it done, and done it at home. It's worth the $100 in towing to not do it on the side of the road.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

When I bought the Oxygenics shower head, those old parts went into the Plumbing bag. I was VERY happy I did, when the fancy new one snapped off at the threads. I could have stolen the shower wand and handle from outside the camper, but did not need to.

The OP asked what I carried. That is what I carry (and then some).

At the Key West Navy Base, the guy next to me snapped the drive gear on one side of his front landing gear. While neither of us had everything he needed to swap out the drive gear, between the two of us; we did.

Since we were deep down the keys and no "Camping World" within 400 miles, the part needed to be ordered on the internet and shipped to Key West.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #23

Most all of us can't/won't carry a big bunch of spare parts. That said, a well thought-out tool kit can allow an individual, or as herk noted, a group of folks to "get by" until parts become available.

As the OP, I was looking for some insight as to what the "more experienced" campers considered "adequate" as a tool/spares kit. After reading the responses I've decided to have a tool set that incorporates the needs of our TT and TV. IE, not a complete 1/2" socket set, just the ones that are actually usable/needed on either unit to make ajustments or fix a broken part. Don't really need to do trannie tear down at the camp site. As far as spare parts are concerned, the things that could be considered as an immediate need. IE. gaskets, seals, light bulbs, fuses, blanking caps and possibly filters. Most of the other stuff would require some serious repair that would normally be out of doing by the average RV'er or one who may want instead to exercise there Good Sam or AAA insurance. I know most all of us can change a tire but how many would want to change one during rush hour through New York. I bet the cell phone would get a work out!!!!!

Everyone has their own thoughts as to what they need. So some, like herk, are comfortable with an extensive inventory while others consider themselves as minimalists. Everyone is right, it just may take some folks longer to get fixed than others and I guess that is also their right.

For us, until we venture far enough from the beaten path, we will pack a usable tool kit, immediate need spares and, yes, a cell phone.

To everyone, have a great and trouble free season.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
If you find out your water pump on your TV failed, you get it fixed, would you then carry the pump, tools, AF for the next 10 years on every trip you take?
No sir. But when my alternator did go out once 4 states from home, I managed to limp to an autozone, buy one, and fix it in the parking lot in about an hour. This allowed me to continue my trip with minimal delay and expense. I would bet that by the time I was back on the road, you still would have been calling around to shops to see if they could replace yours (for probably 4 times what it cost me to replace mine myself).

But again... I make the point that you are free to pack a kit, or not pack one. Whatever is your preference. But please don't imply that yours is the only proper way to prepare. By the way, do you carry spare batteries for your cell phone? A car charger?

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Feel free to pack what you think you might need. I have to admit my list is way smaller than when I started doing this. My first blissfully ignorant trip to a scale was an eye opener and by the time I "white knuckled" it home I unloaded about 900 pounds of un-needed or duplicate junk.

4 years later, it is even less than that. I have 4 small kit bags (Plumbing, Electrical, Spare Parts, and Tire Changing), a socket set, DeWalt 18 volt 1/2 inch Hammer Drill w/ bits, and a larger (12x12x12) Tool Tote with my "workin' tools." There is also a parts tray w/cover for the bits and pieces.

My MOST important tool is my PC with the "Herkbrary" in it.

More than most? Probably. But no one with a problem ever regretted camping next to me.
The cooler always has beer and home made wine in it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad