Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Camper Less Camping

Name:   image-2532333422.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  20.2 KB

Interesting idea to carry portable diesel fuel can...I've had my eye on this type of container for awhile, it's listed as CARB & EPA approved...any ideas what that means for a diesel fuel can?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
phat phrog stunt crew

i couldnt believe it either. transferflow sells a replacement tank to 52 gallons for sbcc trucks, but they are nearly a grand in price.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
phat phrog stunt crew

new epa approved cans have a pita fuel filler dispenser nozzle that sucks to operate. and no, your old filler nozzle will not work on the new fuel containers. i tried. i think they changed the thread pitch to prevent it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
I have been researching auxiliary fuel tanks. But learned it was not gonna be a cheap idea; usually in excess of $700. But then one of the salesmen told me I could carry extra 5 gal cans! Bingo! The light came on! So, I'm going to buy four 5 gal fuel cans, secure them at the bulkhead of the pick up and maybe not have to be concerned about maneuvering in small gas stations. I'll just fill up from them when necessary, then top off after dropping the TT. This will definitely come in handy when we finally get our 5er!
I had a tank for years when I owned a travel trailer. It was great. I had a 60 gal and my truck had a 30 gal normal tank. I could easily go 700+ between fill ups. Not only is it easier when traveling but you also can have the option of where you purchase based on price. I installed the tank with a t fitting on the filler hose. I added a electric fuel pump with a switch at the dash. When I would get to about a half a tank I switch it in for a few minutes and do this as needed. It was the best addition I made to my truck. Here is a link to give you some options other that the trans flow tanks. They are very pricey.
http://www2.northerntool.com/fuel-tr...id-tanks-2.htm
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Note to self, when getting the next TV, make darn sure it doesn't have a little fuel tank. I cant believe a 2500 series truck would ever leave the factory with anything smaller than a 30 gallon tank!
To be fair, only the short bed has the 18 gallon tank. The long bed version has a 28 gallon tank. There is an aftermarket 28 gallon tank for the short bed; but it is pricey.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

To be fair, only the short bed has the 18 gallon tank. The long bed version has a 28 gallon tank. There is an aftermarket 28 gallon tank for the short bed; but it is pricey.
Even my Libby has a bigger tank. What was GM thinking?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
phat phrog stunt crew

herk, i think you will find your tank is 26 gallons and not 18.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
phat phrog stunt crew

gm fuel tank capacity

Fuel tank capacity - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i couldnt believe it either. transferflow sells a replacement tank to 52 gallons for sbcc trucks, but they are nearly a grand in price.
When we bought our 3500 Duramax a couple of months ago, DH considered removing the Transfer Flow tank that came in it to make room for a toolbox. We ultimately decided that the convenience of having the extra fuel on long trips outweighed the benefit of having tools that could be carried elsewhere. They are pricey but the model that we have automatically pumps diesel into our truck's tank so we never have to manually pump any fuel. Not sure if all models of the Transfer Flow have this but it's a great feature to have. I guess we were lucky that it was already in there!

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #40

I bought the northern tool in bed aux tank. I have a shut off valve on the tank, short hose to the inlet of the pump, a filter at the outlet end of the pump, a 10 foot hose and nozzle. I love it, it provides me security when on the road and the fuel guage is nearing empty! I have a roll n lock tonneau cover and the tank fits nicely underneath and forward of the hitch. Still some room between the hitch and the tank, short box. The fuel tank is bolted to the truck bed. With the fuel in the truck and aux tank I can go about 700 +/_ miles (approx 70 gal). Now I want to install a solenoid valve on the tank outlet to be able to drain fuel directly into the truck tank without leaving the truck seat! The hose and nozzle will still be used to fuel my diesel tractor! It's all good.