Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Fan vent cover shading

A couple of years ago I purchased a cushion (Camping World) to fit into the vent on the inside to reduce heat and light. It seemed to work well. However, the heat still got to the fan motor and blades. A couple of weeks ago I removed the cushion and turned on the fan, it opened and turned on but the blades didn't rotate. The heat had caused the plastic to split and expand and the blades dropped of of the knurled connector holding it to the shaft on the motor. I thought about ditching the cushion and cutting up a windshield solar shade made for cars and attaching it inside the cover. I know they sell maxxair covers that would work well but I would rather go a much more economical route. Anyone thought of this, done this or have any suggestions?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

I suggested some one use a windshield shade for an odd shaped vent/skylight.
Never heard if it worked or not.
Would you glue the shade to the cover or??

Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Not sure. I thought about some double sided tape at the top in the center and around the edges. It'll have to be fastened somehow so that it doesn't blow out when the vent cover is open and the fan is running.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Not sure. I thought about some double sided tape at the top in the center and around the edges. It'll have to be fastened somehow so that it doesn't blow out when the vent cover is open and the fan is running.
The tape will work for awhile but stuff like the 3M are kind of foam like and will break down when exposed to the heat and sun so you will need to replace it from time to time.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

I would reconsider going with the vent cover. Amazon sells them at a pretty good price. Installation is not difficult at all, unless you have a 13' tall 5th wheel and choose a windy day to install it.....LOL...don't ask how I know.

I painted the inside of the vent cover before installing it to help keep the sunlight from shining through and block the heat. On the lower ceiling height vent I still supplement the heat blockage with one of the cushion foam blocks that has the reflective bubble foil on one side.

The covers will not only allow you to block the suns heat and light, but also protect the vents cover from the elements of abusive heat and hail damage. Not to mention it allows the vent to be opened in rainy weather to help ventilate the RV is desired.

On the shower dome I did remove the interior dome liner and cover it with reflective bubble foil and reinstall it to help block out heat and light. This has worked great.

Good Luck,

FWIW:, you can purchase various size rolls of the bubble foil reflective material at most home improvement stores. These rolls are make of heavier material and greater insulation values.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

As for the use of tape, the heat will cause the adhesive to melt and become useless. I tried duct tape, Gorilla tape, and foil duct tape. The later having the longest lasting effect.

If you buy a large enough roll of the bubble foil material you can also make cut out panels that will fit your windows and block out the suns heat. We were camping this week with temps in the lower 90s, no shade, very few clouds in a large 5th wheel and the one 15K ac was able to keep us very comfortable. However, I did on occasionally make use of both ac just to hear the wife complain about it being too cold....LOL

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #7

There is an automotive spray which my son used to darken the tail lights on this car, I can't remember the name but should be easy to find. Also there is another spray I believe it's called plasti dip it is removable like pulls off like a film when you no longer want it.
Cypressloser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The tape will work for awhile but stuff like the 3M are kind of foam like and will break down when exposed to the heat and sun so you will need to replace it from time to time.
Yes, I had thought about the tape and adhesive on it breaking down. I also thought about sewing some thin strips of velcro around the edges and a spot at the top in the middle of the solar shade and using the sticky back velcro on the vent to fasten it that way.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #9

The heat will cause the sticky side of the Velcro to loose adhesion. Been there, done that.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Yes, I had thought about the tape and adhesive on it breaking down. I also thought about sewing some thin strips of velcro around the edges and a spot at the top in the middle of the solar shade and using the sticky back velcro on the vent to fasten it that way.
Velcro is an option but you still would need to use the self adhesive part on the cover where the most heat is.

I see Jonrjen bet me to it.

Tags
cover, fan, vent