Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Buzzron View Post
2011 26BH Coachman Catalina.
Filled up for first voyage last night for today.
Water flowed out of overflow clear drop down tube in between the wheels once it seemed full.
Opened faucets to get air out.
Flushed toilet enough to get a clean pack in the black water tank.

Then Fresh showed only 1/3 full on the wall gauge.

Newbie here, have not even taken it out yet, well, will in 5 hours.

Thoughts? Advice?

I did a search and found that some say the rocking and rolling of the trailer will dump a good amount of fresh water out the overflow tube in travel. I only went around the block. I don't see how I could have lost the water that fast nor did I or my wife see a water trail on the street.
Soooo, I don't think that is it, but again, newbie and the instruction manual is less than desireable when looking at troubleshooting things like this.

And no, I can't see the tank due to a sheeting to keep heat in and out of the bottom of the TT. Insulation and sealed so to speak.

Oh, one more, how do I know if the water made it into the 6 gallon hot water tank? There are no turn on/open valves anywhere I can find. Tank is 40 gallons plus 6 extra for the hot water so technically should have 46 gallons fresh on board.
The manual says DO NOT TURN ON WATER HEATER UNLESS YOU KNOW THERE IS WATER IN IT. So how do I know is the burning question???

And help is much appreciated!!! We are going to a spot that does not have water so I need as much as possible for the weekend.

Thank you and Happy Father's Day!
It is next to impossible to get your fresh tank completely full, you will always have an airspace (1" - 2") at the top of your tank plus the water will start to come out of the over-flow spout. And yes you will loose quite a bit of water during travel so I suggest you bring some water in five gallon containers if you don't have any where to get water once you get to your location. I bought a six gallon container (blue in colour) at K-mart that is for water but has a spout just like a gas container and I use it while camping at State parks that don't have water hook-up.

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2003 F150 Heritage Edition
Ontario, Canada

shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
To fill the hot water tank, go outside and open the drop down metal cover. Inside you will find the pressure relief valve. Open the valve and let out the air until water comes out. It will be full and safe to operate.

If you still get cold water with the water heater running (or hot water then cold) one of your bypass valves could still be open.

If you are not getting a full fresh tank:

1) Make sure you are AT LEAST level when you fill it.
2) Fill slowly as it nears the top. The tank will pressurize and prevent you for getting a complete fill.
3) water bubbling out of the overflow is NORMAL as it fills. Air has to get in and out of the tank somehow as it does not have a vent other than the overflow.

You can also try filling it "out of level" front to rear. Raising the vent line higher than the other side of the tank will let you get more water into the tank. In my camper raising the nose will put the vent at the highest point.

As you can see from the photos the vent line is "seeing" water yet the 2/3 button is JUST covered. Thus I only have about a half tank with water spitting out of the vent.

When the water level drops just a bit in this case, the 1/3 light will be the only light on the panel yet it will still have about 1/2 tank.

NOTE: If you use the nose high fill technique you will get water coming out the vent when you lower it again. That again is normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water%20Tank%201.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	7802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	7803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	68